• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the reply. No need for All ATP. Currently flying the C-12 for station during my twlight tour. We get to use the bird for our ATP checkride. The wording below has me confused if I need the commercial prior to ATP.

Sec. 61.151 Eligibility requirements: General.

To be eligible for an airline transport pilot certificate, a person must--
(a) Be at least 23 years of age;
(b) Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language.
(c) Be of good moral character;
(d) Meet at least one of the following requirements:

(1) Hold at least a commercial pilot certificate and instrument rating;
(2) Meet the military experience requirements under Sec. 61.73 of this part to qualify for a commercial pilot certificate, and an instrument rating if the person is a rated military pilot or former rated military pilot of an Armed Force of the United States; or

When you go to section 61.73 talks about requirements for commercial military equivalent. The wording above "experience" above is throwing me off. No need to pay the cash for the commercial test if I am just going to turn around and take the ATP written a month later if I do not need to. Is the military experience the mil equivalent test?

Picture of Wake was taken while overhead during my last TRANSPAC in 2008. We did not stop this time. Something to do with who was going to pay for the runway repairs. Went from Hawaii to Guam. Drifter's Reef was still open last time I stopped in 2002. My buddy just went through there a few weeks ago with the Wake Island Avengers. I would assume that if the island is open, the bar is open.

Cheers....Postal

You can take the military equivalency test at ANY time, but will only get ratings for things you've flown in the preceding 12 months (hence the rush after wings to get it done to get the single engine stuff [t-34] for people).

Since you're flying a C-12 and looks like you're a harrier guy, just take the mil-comp exam, and you'll get a commercial certificate for ASEL, AMEL and Instrument Airplane. After that, you can take your ATP written and checkride.

This is a DEFINITE option, based on your situation. However, it sounds like what you quoted above means you don't even have to get the commercial rating beforehand, if you go straight to ATP based on your military experience. THAT part sounds like a question for the FSDO.

MasterBates

What is this "FedEx Profile" that has been mentioned?

I'm at 11.. And depending on how tomorrow goes (LT FITREP debriefs) I'll probably have a good idea if I am going to GTFO or if I am going to have a chance (and if so, no choice for 3 more years) of staying on AD.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
https://fedex.pilotcredentials.com/

Fill out your profile, pay $75 & you have applied/registered at FedEx. They do ask for when you will be available. You can update your availability date as things change.

Looks like I'm going to have to start over with them. My first class medical is expired & I haven't completed my ATP. They gave me until Jan 31, then I have to start over. Not too worried about it as I am otherwise committed for the next while.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
I don't know if I'd bail at 17 years but I would at 15.

674 days until I retire. I am on an IA now but will be returning to VT-35 for the last year to get current. I am taking my R&R leave to go home, take the FE written (again), get a First Class Medical (again) and open my FEDEX profile.

MasterBates

Apparently I'm not qualified to fly at FedEx.. Not enought FW time. D'oh.

And while I have plenty of PIC time.. Helo time is of no value there.

KBayDog

Go somewhere where your helo time is of value, then.

May not be "The (airline) Show," but out there is "The (helo) Show."

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
The first couple of years the pay sucks, and due to low seniority, the schedule sucks. I spent 5 years on furlough and I am now about 2 years from 767 Captain. Guys hired at the beginning of my Hawaiian hiring bubble 3 years before me were never furloughed and have been 767 Captains for 3 years. Guys hired 1 1/2 -2 years before me are 717 Captains and spent only 2 years on furlough. Seniority is everything and if your goal is the airlines - the sooner you get that number, the sooner you get better pay, better QOL .....

This is what I mean as a "rosy picture". You said the first couple of years the pay sucks. But you were also furloughed for 5! That's 7 years of sucky pay! 5 of which there was NO pay. How can this be preferable over sticking around "suckling from Uncle Sam's teat" 5 more years and collecting $30k+ a year for the rest of your life? I'm beginning to think this enthusiasm for the airlines is brought on my simply being relieved that you've finally got a PAYING flying job that will allow you to provide for your family. Albeit with the threat of potentially another furlough looming on the horizon. That's a big gorilla in the closet.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot

MB, I'd bet you're a shoein for a really good job with CBP. Seems their hiring goes in spurts as well, don't know when the next one is though. As a military aviator/vet, you automatically get a leg up on your civie counterparts. However, you're also competing against your military peers.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
This is what I mean as a "rosy picture". You said the first couple of years the pay sucks. But you were also furloughed for 5! That's 7 years of sucky pay! 5 of which there was NO pay. How can this be preferable over sticking around "suckling from Uncle Sam's teat" 5 more years and collecting $30k+ a year for the rest of your life? I'm beginning to think this enthusiasm for the airlines is brought on my simply being relieved that you've finally got a PAYING flying job that will allow you to provide for your family. Albeit with the threat of potentially another furlough looming on the horizon. That's a big gorilla in the closet.
The point was about getting a seniority number ASAP if flying for the airlines is what you want to do. I spent 5 years on furlough. Guys hired 3 years before me were never furloughed and are now international wide-body Captains. If I had gotten out of the Navy earlier to pursue the airlines instead of hanging around to retirement, I may have avoided the furlough. If I had waited for the normal 20 year retirement instead of taking the early retirement package they were offering (with it's reduced pay), instead of being furloughed yet holding a seniority number, I would probably have been flying at a regional and just getting to a major airline.

The bottom line is you have to decide what you want to do. If you want to fly for a major airline, the sooner you get a seniority number, the better off you are. Seniority drives your career, pay and QOL.

"Rosy picture"? It is for me now but I'll admit it was a tough road getting here. I think my job and lifestyle are great and I wouldn't change them. They were worth the years of furlough. But again - if I had been hired earlier and held a higher seniority, I would have had a much easier and shorter path getting here.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I don't mean for it to sound like I'm giving you a hard time HAL. I've given it a lot of thought/research recently and, to be honest, I'm a fence-straddler. I just want to ensure that those reading this thread don't think leaving the military for the airlines is without risk. I think tough times are ahead for the military and worse-so for the Marines. All of the talk about trying to kill retirement bennies, axeing the re-up bonus and knowing I'm probably on the front side of my last set of DIFOP orders has got me thinking it may be nearing time to drop my letter. However, there seems to be just as much (or more so) uncertainty on the airline side for the wannabes and newhires. All I know is that I want to fly AND be able to provide for my family. The hard part is guessing which route will let me do both with the least amount of uncertainty.

Fallonflyr

pilot
I don't mean for it to sound like I'm giving you a hard time HAL. I've given it a lot of thought/research recently and, to be honest, I'm a fence-straddler. I just want to ensure that those reading this thread don't think leaving the military for the airlines is without risk. I think tough times are ahead for the military and worse-so for the Marines. All of the talk about trying to kill retirement bennies, axeing the re-up bonus and knowing I'm probably on the front side of my last set of DIFOP orders has got me thinking it may be nearing time to drop my letter. However, there seems to be just as much (or more so) uncertainty on the airline side for the wannabes and newhires. All I know is that I want to fly AND be able to provide for my family. The hard part is guessing which route will let me do both with the least amount of uncertainty.

Going to the airlines used to be a no-brainer, not the case anymore. As an airline pilot you are now just paid by the hour labor. It is a job, not a career. I think most guys from my time frame would stay to get the twenty if they had to do it all over again.