• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Anybody really considering the 'show' needs to sit down with a SELRES and make them show you their schedules and pay summary. Then ask LOTS of questions. Always get an in domicile and a commuters perspective. Then ask yourself, is this for me!!

Don't just take opinions; make them show you the facts! If they are not willing to show you a bid pack, pay stub or calendar then I would take their advice with a giant grain of salt!

My 2 cents, which thanks to the Fed is worth about 20% less.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I still don't get the "Hud'n." I get the F-8 tie-in, but what IS "hud'n?"

My 'TINS' version ... told to me by a former VF-194 'Sader guy I flew with in ''The SHOW" ...

It kind of represented a 'rallying call' ... a "gather round" or "Hey Rube" (old times) or "Hooorah" (today) ..... F-8 specific, however ..... it's genesis originated from a '60's "rev-up" sound from a big-bore muscle-car engine ...

Some of the F-8 squadrons painted it on the front of the wing "droop" that would show whenever they "drooped" the wing. The F-8 was a 'big-bore' engine with wings and a pilot. It was a rocket ... an 'airborne' '60s muscle-car, if you will ... :)

The 'phrase' became just kind of an F-8 tradition .... "HUD'N, HUD'N" .... so that's what they painted on the forward part of the "droop". We loved it when I waved 'em .... the F-8 drivers I interacted w/ were good sticks, but some of the photo-guys -- well, not so much. I think it was 'cause the photo-guys still thought (wished?) they were 'fighters' but they didn't have the skills or ACM time of the original issue ...

Anyway ... he said it was kind of a signature of VF-194 (so did they originate it ???? He thought so. ) but many F-8 outfits used it. Spirit -- love it --do we have it today ???

So is this story the 'real deal'?? You tell me ... :)

"BHR" .... USS Bon Homme Richard. Great ship.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
And be good at buttonology, right?

autopilot.jpg

j/k

You don't REALLY want to hand-fly a WHALE for 12-14 hours, do you ... ???

I've done it more than once --- absolutely NO FUN !!!

n/k :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Much of a requirement difference between trash hauling and people hauling qualifications?
Depends which airline you're rushing ... but assuming it's 'big jets' ... NO.

For the record, after years & years of flying pax ... pax & cargo ... and cargo ...

I decided cargo was the way to go. The pay's the same (or slightly better), you don't have to deal w/ pax & flight attendants, you're on the 'quiet' side of the field, the lay-overs are mo' bettah (at least overseas), and there's just the 3 of you.

You are as much your 'own man' as you can be (while flyin' cargo) when flyin' a $100M + airplane owned by someone else ...

It's a good thing ...

n643nw747nwa.jpg

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I preferred Pax to Cargo because of the F/As.
But unfortunately they all got as old and ugly as I did. :(

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You don't REALLY want to hand-fly a WHALE for 12-14 hours, do you ... ???

I've done it more than once --- absolutely NO FUN !!!

n/k :)

Cake walk.

Try driving this for 3 weeks...full of puking mids....nowhere to run to, nowhere to hide...

10217_101320466552971_1000002505462.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....Try driving this for 3 weeks...full of puking mids....nowhere to run to, nowhere to hide...
What kine' MIDs are you guys 'hiring' these days ... ???!!!

Certainly NOT da kine' that liked to sing:

'Twas on the good ship Venus,
By Christ you should have seen us,

The figurehead

Was a whore in bed,

And the mast a rampant penis.

Friggin' in the riggin' ... friggin' in the riggin' .... (etc.)

The captain's daughter Charlotte
Was born and bred a harlot
Her thighs at night
Were lily white

By morning they were scarlet

Friggin' in the riggin' ... (etc)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Repeat 400 times.

I mean ... if they're singin' ... they can't be pukin' ...just sayin' ... :)

phrogpilot73

Isn't that what SWOs are for? :)
I'm pretty sure if you're an instructor in the ProDev department - you're on tap. Schnugg is only complaining because he had his own stateroom/head... He wasn't hanging it over the side when the macerator pump broke, or sleeping in the galley because he was in V berthing (all the way forward in the puke inducing bow)... I knew I didn't want to go SWO, but that little gray piece of crap proved it to me. In the Chesapeake for an hour at a time - it wasn't bad, but all the way up to Boston/New Hampshire/New York? FUCK THAT.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
And the older they got, the stronger their perfume got ... makes you sneeze.

In my experience. :)
Unfortunately too true.

TINS: Had a flight where a kid took his mother's perfume bottle out, opened it, and shook it all over the place while she was in the head.

Had to do an emergency divert with 3 people who couldn't breathe without emerg. O2 - allegic to the overwhelming smell/perfume - and a few other sick pax gagging, big time.

Better than " flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong?"
I sometimes wondered.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm pretty sure if you're an instructor in the ProDev department - you're on tap. Schnugg is only complaining because he had his own stateroom/head... He wasn't hanging it over the side when the macerator pump broke, or sleeping in the galley because he was in V berthing (all the way forward in the puke inducing bow)... I knew I didn't want to go SWO, but that little gray piece of crap proved it to me. In the Chesapeake for an hour at a time - it wasn't bad, but all the way up to Boston/New Hampshire/New York? FUCK THAT.

It could be worse, you could be the guy on the YP next to mine who had the shitter explode in his face when he was cleaning the heads. For reference, pine sol does not hide the smell of shit, no matter how many times you scrub the boat down.

Ralph

Isn't the military more stable then the airlines? And don't they have to start hiring before considering jumping ship. Lastly how many of you on here fly in the reserves/guard part time?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Isn't the military more stable then the airlines? And don't they have to start hiring before considering jumping ship. Lastly how many of you on here fly in the reserves/guard part time?

Define stable:

Yes, I get a pay check on the 1st and the 15th, and I'm not getting furloughed anytime soon. Do I know my schedule any more than 1 day in advance, and can I plan on a weekend off? No.

They are hiring right now. All those fees that people bitch about being nickel and dimed over? They made the airlines profitable again.

Ralph

Which major airlines are hiring? And is going the gurad/reserve still the best route? Best of both worlds.