• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Yet I've never flown with an airline pilot that would leave his job to go back and finish his 20...

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yet I've never flown with an airline pilot that would leave his job to go back and finish his 20...
I did. But it was involuntary each time.

He was famous. Got out as a JO. Soon furloughed, and went back to ACDUTRA DIFOPS. Later left to go back to his airline, but got some years later got furloughed again, so he again returned to active duty. Left again, furloughed again and then retired as a TAR.

Furloughed from CAL, I once agreed to go back active duty on a contract to flight instruct at Kingsville for a couple of years.

The reserves saved a lot of guys bacon back in the day of many airlines' demises and furloughs. Don't know how much an option that is today.

ryan1234

This may be stupid question but..........What is the general feeling about disclosing the probability of taking mil leave (Guard; up to say 2 years) within 5 or 6 months of getting hired during the interview?

Have a feeling I should try to get a number and into the game prior to leaving for Guard training... but it sounds kinda crappy to just get the job and bail while not yet holding a line.

I was pretty honest during an airline interview about the training date to come after a question... and it pretty much cost me the job from the feedback I was getting (everything else went well, except for the 'drunk captain question' - who wants to throw someone under the bus?)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I did. But it was involuntary each time.

He was famous. Got out as a JO. Soon furloughed, and went back to ACDUTRA DIFOPS. Later left to go back to his airline, but got some years later got furloughed again, so he again returned to active duty. Left again, furloughed again and then retired as a TAR.

Furloughed from CAL, I once agreed to go back active duty on a contract to flight instruct at Kingsville for a couple of years.

The reserves saved a lot of guys bacon back in the day of many airlines' demises and furloughs. Don't know how much an option that is today.

Except those who did just that to avoid being furloughed during the last 10 years.
Yeah I know guys that were furloughed and then went back to active duty. I also know some that stayed on active duty after their furlough. (There is a respected member of this forum in this category.) But I've never known someone to just leave their airline and go back to active duty without the threat of a furlough just because they felt it was a better job.

Further - it's all about the airline. Would I leave active duty to work for a regional or US Airways? Nope. United? Maybe. AA, Continental (when they were separate from United)? Probably. Alaska, Delta, SWA, FedEx, UPS or (my favorite) Hawaiian? In a heart beat.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
This may be stupid question but..........What is the general feeling about disclosing the probability of taking mil leave (Guard; up to say 2 years) within 5 or 6 months of getting hired during the interview?

Have a feeling I should try to get a number and into the game prior to leaving for Guard training... but it sounds kinda crappy to just get the job and bail while not yet holding a line.

I was pretty honest during an airline interview about the training date to come after a question... and it pretty much cost me the job from the feedback I was getting (everything else went well, except for the 'drunk captain question' - who wants to throw someone under the bus?)
We have a couple at Hawaiian who did this. Whether or not they disclosed their plans during the interview, I don't know. But the law is on your side, you can't lose your job after you're hired for taking mil leave and the company can't limit the length if your unit says it is necessary.

Are you talking about a number at a major airline? Then by all means, the sooner the better. True at a regional too but unless you consider the regional your career destination it is not as important.

Drunk Captain question - try and talk him out of it. Call another Captain who is a friend to try and talk him out of it. Call the union to try and talk him out of it. Call the company as a last resort. But never let him get to the airport even if it means being late to the flight. It is not "throwing him under a bus", it is protecting your ass as well as his, your pax and the company's. If he gets to the airport, his job is gone and yours could be too. The other options (in that order) will probably save his job, will save your job, will protect your pax, and will keep your airline from getting a very public black eye.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Didn't Gen Amos get out, fly for the airlines and then come back?

Affirm. He flew for the famous, yet short lived, Braniff Airlines. That he's come this far with major broken time goes under "the exception that proves the rule" category.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Not true. There is no "12 month rule".

I literally filled out the form about 2 weeks ago and it specifically addresses which aircraft you've been PIC in, in the previous 12 months. The only reason i got my IA add-on was because I did the mil-comp within the 12 month window for the T-34 and they just didn't give me the rating at the time, which they should have, so it was corrected. For a specific category, you need to have that category PIC in the preceeding 12 months.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Otto-I think you were filling out outdated paperwork. That ruled changed 2 years ago (the same time as mil comp for CFI). For instance, I added MEL to my Comm ticket last year although I hadn't flown multi in 6 years.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Otto-I think you were filling out outdated paperwork. That ruled changed 2 years ago (the same time as mil comp for CFI). For instance, I added MEL to my Comm ticket last year although I hadn't flown multi in 6 years.

Duly noted. I guess the guy at the FSDO gave me the old form then.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
.....The reserves saved a lot of guys bacon back in the day of many airlines' demises and furloughs. Don't know how much an option that is today.

A pretty common one from what I saw. I sat on a watch for a bit that was staffed largely with reservists and the majority of them were O-5/6's that had been furloughed or had their pay cut by their airlines and were making good steady pay on 1 year assignments in DC, often extended once or twice, waiting for their call-back or a shot at a better paying spot in their airline (as one put it). They were rarely from the DC area, the watch schedule allowed them to commute back home often while making the big BAH.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I just read (IRR thread) where A4's mentioned being jobless for 36 months due to furloughs, strikes, etc. That retirement check is looking better and better. I guess I'm still missing where this is such a good deal? At least I know I've got a steady paycheck coming...

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Jboomer,

It says you are back in Meridian.. Walk your ass down the hall and go talk to JD and Joey and get their opinions! JD was a harrier guy and Joey got out at the 18 year mark w/ FOUR kids! There are others but those 2 would be a very good start! I would value their opinions more than those on here; no offense guys.

Note: Doesn't matter to me what your decision is cause you'll be junior to me if you come in the next year or the next 10 years! :icon_wink

Actually talk to Rosco and Luke, their schedules and pay will be closer to that of a new hire.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Jboomer,

It says you are back in Meridian.. Walk your ass down the hall and go talk to JD and Joey and get their opinions! JD was a harrier guy and Joey got out at the 18 year mark w/ FOUR kids! There are others but those 2 would be a very good start! I would value their opinions more than those on here; no offense guys.

Note: Doesn't matter to me what your decision is cause you'll be junior to me if you come in the next year or the next 10 years! :icon_wink

Actually talk to Rosco and Luke, their schedules and pay will be closer to that of a new hire.

Yeah, I've talked to most of them (and a couple of others) and they're all advocates of pulling the plug too. However, they all drink from the same jug of kook-aid. My decision has been made, I'm just trying to play devils advocate (and try to convince myself I'm making the wrong decision).