• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
NO worries.. Like I have said time and time again. Make them show you schedules and pay summaries! They can log in and pull it all up very easily. Also look at their Flight Summaries cause if you want an airline flying job, FEDEX ain't it.. If you block over 350 hours a year, you are in the overachiever crowd.. :icon_mi_4

I keep my pay hours high working extra and I don't think I have ever broke 350.. In fact as a rolling summary, I have 278 in the last 12 months.

Fallonflyr

pilot
I was talking to some young active duty guys a few years ago and they thought that was awesome that I had flown 87 hours that month. I had to explain to them that awesome is getting paid for 87 hours and flying 0.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
The whole goal is to get paid for doing nothing. That's why about every 3 or 4 months I bid reserve for the month to increase my beach time.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
The whole goal is to get paid very well while doing nothing. That's why about every 3 or 4 months I bid reserve for the month to increase my beach time.

In other words, continue to pursue government jobs?
I fixed it.

Actually, starting yesterday I'm on my Pacific beer drinking tour. First stop is Toyko (now), followed by Manila, Sydney, back to Manila, Toyko again and ending in Inchon with a few beach/beer days between trips on "Da Rock". After the tour it's hookers and blow in Vegas for a couple of weeks at the end of the month.

Fallonflyr

pilot
The first thing you need to do when you leave AD to go to the airlines is to get your head around the fact that you are no longer management. The airlines have management....they are the pussys who went to Hawvad to get their MBA's while you were out in the world doing manly things. They don't think like you.

You are labor. Your job is to get the best pay and working conditions for you and your fellow pilots as possible. If it makes it any easier for you, think of your company as the government and your contract as the Constitution.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
True that. Sometimes though, it's funny to see former military, who are usually conservative and were anti-union when it came to "lazy" autoworkers, construction workers, and such become staunch dues-paying union members when they go to the airlines!

KBayDog

True that. Sometimes though, it's funny to see former military, who are usually conservative and were anti-union when it came to "lazy" autoworkers, construction workers, and such become staunch dues-paying union members when they go to the airlines!

You'd be hard-pressed to find someone more anti-union than me (especially the mother f'ing teachers unions!), though I'll admit that unions served a purpose during much of the first half of the 20th Century.

I wonder, though, how many of us military folks - especially the ones that gladly jump ship and join the pilots' unions - hate the unions strictly out of jealousy: Jealousy that the workers have advocates that negotiate working hours, breaks, vacations, etc. I'll be the first to admit that 36 hours into a day of flying, duty, mission planning, fitrep/awards writing, and AOMs, a union-negotiated 8-hr workday with an hour for lunch sounds pretty good.

250px-Fist_ver2.jpg

Fallonflyr

pilot
You'd be hard-pressed to find someone more anti-union than me (especially the mother f'ing teachers unions!), though I'll admit that unions served a purpose during much of the first half of the 20th Century.

I wonder, though, how many of us military folks - especially the ones that gladly jump ship and join the pilots' unions - hate the unions strictly out of jealousy: Jealousy that the workers have advocates that negotiate working hours, breaks, vacations, etc. I'll be the first to admit that 36 hours into a day of flying, duty, mission planning, fitrep/awards writing, and AOMs, a union-negotiated 8-hr workday with an hour for lunch sounds pretty good.

250px-Fist_ver2.jpg

Looks like you get the "big picture". Your job on AD is to kill alot of people; in the airlines your job is to NOT kill a bunch of people.:)

KBayDog

Looks like you get the "big picture". Your job on AD is to kill alot of people; in the airlines your job is to NOT kill a bunch of people.:)

I'm a Phrog pilot. If I'm killing people, it's a really bad day...no matter how you look at it. ;)

Point taken, though.