• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
1. Which major airlines are hiring?
2. And is going the gurad/reserve still the best route? Best of both worlds.
1. Do a web search ... initiative will get you the job, not being spoon fed. Who is hiring and what are the requirements/competition changes all the time ...

2. Going into the Reserves and flyin' for the MAN is still best of both worlds. That way you get 'fun' AND 'profit'.

Which is more stable?? Neither ... they both have their good times & their not-so-good times ... but flyin' is still the best job in the world unless Daddy's a billionaire and you're an only child.

Postal

pilot
I need to call the FSDO but figured the knowledge here should be able to answer my question. How do you go from zero to ATP? I backpacked Europe after wings and never took the Commercial Mil Equivalent. Do I need the Comm Mil Equil prior to ATP? From what I have read it can be taken either way. Have the hours and will be trying to go to the show in the fall of 2012.

Cheers...Postal

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
All those fees that people bitch about being nickel and dimed over? They made the airlines profitable again.

And possibly a bit cheaper for those of us who bring carry-on-only... Now if only all of them would have a surcharge for people who spill over the armrest! :devil_125

(Easy for me to say since I've always been a skinny person who also travels light.)

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot

Aw crap! Maybe I'll have to start wearing all of my clothes for each entire trip... think layers. Max use of cargo pockets for all of my various "liquids or gels (3-1-1 rule)," toothbrush, "scissors - metal with pointed tips and blades shorter than four inches," "tools (seven inches or less in length)," miscellaneous toiletries, phone charger, and, of course, wallet, keys, and boarding passes.

Could get interesting. Sort of a "People of Walmart" meets TSA.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting note. I got an email from FedEx today. Said their pilot Profile site was back up & they wanted me to update my profile. I'm going to update, but I won't be available for a while. My bonus goes for another year & I'm rolling this summer. That will take me to 16, so I might as well keep on going to 20. I've kept my FedEx profile updated for about 10 years now. Maybe the persistence will pay off when it's time to look beyond flying for Uncle.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
We had a couple guys open their profiles yesterday. Guess they increased the fee to $75, regardless it's good news!

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
FEDEX started a class on the 17th of internals and has one planned for the 14th of Feb of more internals. Then poolies in Mar and Apr. Then new hires. Should start interviewing soon! Also the application window is scheduled to be open for 60 days (opened Yesterday); so get that app in and then just update cause once it is one file it should stay as long as it is updated occasionally. Number being tossed around among the Check Airmen is 500 folks. Number from System Chief Pilot is 250. So somewhere between is most likely. (Note: Only about 30 internals and another 30 poolies)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
FEDEX started a class on the 17th of internals and has one planned for the 14th of Feb of more internals. Then poolies in Mar and Apr. Then new hires. Should start interviewing soon! Also the application window is scheduled to be open for 60 days (opened Yesterday); so get that app in and then just update cause once it is one file it should stay as long as it is updated occasionally. Number being tossed around among the Check Airmen is 500 folks. Number from System Chief Pilot is 250. So somewhere between is most likely. (Note: Only about 30 internals and another 30 poolies)
Funny ... when I trained the initial FEDEX cadre on the 3-holer @ Love Field, I was offered a job by your (then) Chief Pilot ... I said 'thanks, but I like it here' ... (FEDEX was flying the Falcon at the time).

The airline I 'liked' was Braniff.

*sigh* .... the morale: never say never ... :)

Fallonflyr

pilot
If you have 1500+ hours you can go to All ATP or someone like that to get your ATP written and flight check in about 2 to 3 days. In the day, you could use VA bene's to help pay. For FEDEX, you also need to get your FE rating or at least written, better check on that.

As long as the airlines are making money, 2012 should be the leading edge of the next hiring wave. You want to be at the leading edge of that wave. I was hired 2 Jan 96 at UAL and have been a Capt 9 out of the last 15 years to include almost the last 7 years on the A320. Guys hired 3 1/2 years after me are on their second furlough-its all in the numbers.

Good luck-Nice picture of Wake btw, is Drifters still open?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... You want to be at the leading edge of that wave. I was hired 2 Jan 96 at UAL and have been a Capt 9 out of the last 15 years to include almost the last 7 years on the A320. Guys hired 3 1/2 years after me are on their second furlough-its all in the numbers.
Excellent airline point, and one that is usually not understood by the unwashed & military pilots.

As long as seniority counts in the airlines (and ohhhhh, Bruddah, DOES IT EVER !!!) you NEED to get hired sooner, rather than later, when the opportunity arises. If you CAN get to The SHOW, but elect to get that last 3-4 years suckling @ UNCLE's teat ... then you stand a very real chance of losing a LOT of seniority, $$$$$, retirement, routes, aircraft, and life-style over the course of your airline career. And now that you can go to 65, it's even more to the point.

I flew w/ many guys who went 20 w/ UNCLE (and some didn't have to/want to -- but they had become 'dependent'), which resulted in their always being second banana and they did not have the airline 'job' that several of their punk-younger and less experienced (but senior) airline brethren did ...

Mark this: IT IS TOUGH FLYING 'BEHIND' SOMEONE WHO IS CHRONOLOGICALLY, SKILL-SET, AND EXPERIENCE-LEVEL your 'junior'. But he's got 4 stripes, and you've got 3 ... so he's the HMFIC -- and you're 'Bubba' ...

Timing is everything --- everyone here always says that and most know it when it comes to NAVAIR -- so why would anyone think it's less important in The SHOW ... ??? GET YOUR LINE SENIORITY ASAP !!! It's always been truth ...

If you can get your line 'number' -- GET IT !!! No one is going to 'thank you' for going those few extra years w/ UNCLE .... least of all, UNCLE. :)

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
If you CAN get to The SHOW, but elect to get that last 3-4 years suckling @ UNCLE's teat ... then you stand a very real chance of losing a LOT of seniority, $$$$$, retirement, routes, aircraft, and life-style over the course of your airline career. And now that you can go to 65, it's even more to the point.

Just to be clear, are you advocating bailing out up to, say, 17 years in the military?

That's clearly NOT what a lot of other airline pilots have been advocating the last few years...nearly everyone else has been saying, given the current cuts in pay and uncertainty and instability, that you'd be insane to NOT stay until 20 and fix the stability of a retirement check the rest of your life.

...with the follow-on logic being that such stability of check and healthcare more than offset whatever losses in pay or QOL you might invoke over the delay in establishing a seniority number.

Postal

pilot
If you have 1500+ hours you can go to All ATP or someone like that to get your ATP written and flight check in about 2 to 3 days. In the day, you could use VA bene's to help pay. For FEDEX, you also need to get your FE rating or at least written, better check on that.

As long as the airlines are making money, 2012 should be the leading edge of the next hiring wave. You want to be at the leading edge of that wave. I was hired 2 Jan 96 at UAL and have been a Capt 9 out of the last 15 years to include almost the last 7 years on the A320. Guys hired 3 1/2 years after me are on their second furlough-its all in the numbers.

Good luck-Nice picture of Wake btw, is Drifters still open?

Thanks for the reply. No need for All ATP. Currently flying the C-12 for station during my twlight tour. We get to use the bird for our ATP checkride. The wording below has me confused if I need the commercial prior to ATP.

Sec. 61.151 Eligibility requirements: General.

To be eligible for an airline transport pilot certificate, a person must--
(a) Be at least 23 years of age;
(b) Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language.
(c) Be of good moral character;
(d) Meet at least one of the following requirements:

(1) Hold at least a commercial pilot certificate and instrument rating;
(2) Meet the military experience requirements under Sec. 61.73 of this part to qualify for a commercial pilot certificate, and an instrument rating if the person is a rated military pilot or former rated military pilot of an Armed Force of the United States; or

When you go to section 61.73 talks about requirements for commercial military equivalent. The wording above "experience" above is throwing me off. No need to pay the cash for the commercial test if I am just going to turn around and take the ATP written a month later if I do not need to. Is the military experience the mil equivalent test?

Picture of Wake was taken while overhead during my last TRANSPAC in 2008. We did not stop this time. Something to do with who was going to pay for the runway repairs. Went from Hawaii to Guam. Drifter's Reef was still open last time I stopped in 2002. My buddy just went through there a few weeks ago with the Wake Island Avengers. I would assume that if the island is open, the bar is open.

Cheers....Postal

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
In reference to Hacker's post:

That's what I'm struggling with too. A4's and HAL paint this rosy picture, but if you head over to APC and read the threads there...you're led to believe there's no future as an airline pilot. And this from guys also in "The Show". Something's just not adding up?

However, I'm currently working with DAL, SWA, and FEDEX guys and they all seem to advocate dropping your letter and making the transition too.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
The first couple of years the pay sucks, and due to low seniority, the schedule sucks. I spent 5 years on furlough and I am now about 2 years from 767 Captain. Guys hired at the beginning of my Hawaiian hiring bubble 3 years before me were never furloughed and have been 767 Captains for 3 years. Guys hired 1 1/2 -2 years before me are 717 Captains and spent only 2 years on furlough. Seniority is everything and if your goal is the airlines - the sooner you get that number, the sooner you get better pay, better QOL and better job security.

What airline you are with and how it is doing is a biggie too. It used to be AA was a prize. They still have over 1000 on furlough after the big 9/11 meltdown. But SWA, Delta and FedEx are all no brainers.

I'm just over 3 years back after my furlough and we've done enough hiring I really don't worry about ever being furloughed again. And I'm now senior enough as a 767 FO to get the schedule I want.

I don't know if I'd bail at 17 years but I would at 15.