• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Cats and Dogs on Aircraft Carriers Thread . . . with F-16 insanity!

Did it happen? An F-16 trapped??\

• Yep, real deal.

Votes: 19 12.6%
  • Nope, you are high.

Votes: 74 49.0%
  • I think it was on JAG....

Votes: 58 38.4%

• Total voters

zuggerat

speaking of ridiculous things on JAG... todays replayed episode was about scientific remote viewing (Lt.'s on crack)

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
TANGO 1 said:
O.k there is one that happend a while ago, when a back seater ejects for no apparent reason, or this one where the pilto did a barrel roll and the back seatter a newby thought they were going to crash and then ejected.

dunno if it's been covered yet but that did happen. he was the skipper of a cruiser (a had a friend that served under him on that boat). The seats were set to independent, and the pilot didn't brief where to put your hands while maneuvering. The pilot did his two turns to warm them up for g's. the swo didn't know where to grab on, so he ejected himself. the pilot, finally aware of the ejection, radioed back that he saw a good canopy.

edit: beating a dead horse.

I have some good pics of some hornets that colided in el centro? (adversary squadron) and brought their planes back. one had hydraulic failure, 1/2 of left wing, tailhook down, left vert stab torn away. the other lost the nose cone, canopy, etc. I gotta find the pics. ....

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I believe most, if not all, AF tactical jets have arresting hooks for emergency landings. They would take a field trap for the same basic reasons a Navy jet would, landing gear problems is the one that comes to mind. However, what no one has pointed out yet is that Navy jets are stressed for carrier landings while AF jets are not. If you ever take a look at an F-16's landing gear and an F-18's, you will notice that the 16's looks whimpy compared to the 18's. I have heard the figure of a 1000 pounds extra for the Navy landing gear several times and I buy it after looking at the difference. Additionally, the hook and its attachment to the aircraft is strengthened on Navy planes, all you have to do is look at the difference again.

An interesting side note, not all pilots who fly Navy tactical jets have to qualify at the boat. In the land based VAQ squadrons, the AF pilots (one per squadron, 3 squadrons) do not have to land at the boat. Apparently they did at first but it was considered a waste, correctly so. They tried to get the Marine VAQ pilots waived for the boat a year or 2 ago but that was nixed by higher ups, even though they have not deployed on the boat since the mid 90's.

As for the T-34 shooting down a Harrier in the Falklands, I have heard that repeated by several guys, including a LCDR IP, with a straight face :eek: ! As an amatuer historian, I researched the hell out of that one. The best resource I found was a book called Harrier by a Harrier squadron CO in hte Falklands, "Sharkey" Ward. I got it in England (only available there) and he talks about taking a few shots at some T-34's in and out of clouds and finding out after the war that he hit one, though the shell was a dud. The Argentnians had loaded them up with rockets and machine guns but they never fired a shot, I think one is in England as a war prize.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ENSsquid said:
dunno if it's been covered yet but that did happen. he was the skipper of a cruiser (a had a friend that served under him on that boat). The seats were set to independent, and the pilot didn't brief where to put your hands while maneuvering. The pilot did his two turns to warm them up for g's. the swo didn't know where to grab on, so he ejected himself. the pilot, finally aware of the ejection, radioed back that he saw a good canopy.

edit: beating a dead horse.

I have some good pics of some hornets that colided in el centro? (adversary squadron) and brought their planes back. one had hydraulic failure, 1/2 of left wing, tailhook down, left vert stab torn away. the other lost the nose cone, canopy, etc. I gotta find the pics. ....

I was in Fallon just a few days after that and the F-14 was still in the hangar and was there when we left 2 weeks later. Kind of funny seeing a convertabile 14. Apparently the Aegis cruiser skipper was at the club the first night some of our guys got there and they said he was saying "hey, I puched out, don't I drink for free?". Apparently thought it was funny, everyone just ignored him.

CantSeeMe said:
I think that guy just copied the story... KC-10 has an integral hose/drogue. I'm 100% sure that it was a 135, and the connection between the boom and the hose broke. Other than that... that is the incident.

Nope..it was a KC-10. KC135s fly with a hard basket. The fighters guys call it the Iron Maiden. The basket stuck to the end of the Hornets probe is a softer type so it can collapse when reeled in.

FlyingDoc

Flash said:
As for the T-34 shooting down a Harrier in the Falklands, I have heard that repeated by several guys, including a LCDR IP, with a straight face :eek: ! As an amatuer historian, I researched the hell out of that one. The best resource I found was a book called Harrier by a Harrier squadron CO in hte Falklands, "Sharkey" Ward. I got it in England (only available there) and he talks about taking a few shots at some T-34's in and out of clouds and finding out after the war that he hit one, though the shell was a dud. The Argentnians had loaded them up with rockets and machine guns but they never fired a shot, I think one is in England as a war prize.

Not a single Harrier was lost in Air to Air combat... though a few were lost to ground fire.

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
Foul Deck

F-16 landing on a carrier! Whatever! If it did it was either 1) going real slow or 2) going the same speed as our CV aircraft, then afterwards, foul deck because the -16 wouldn't be able to stand the pounding. :eek:

When we had F-16's at Miramar I asked one of the sailors maintaining them what would happen if an F-16 attempted a CV landing, his answer, "One big crash!"

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
rare21 said:
i've seen the T-2 and the B-52 was on the news also. the sad one about the T-2 was that the rear seater tried to eject and ejected right into the deck. I've seen the prowler one but didnt know it was a chief but he survived that. probably seen the 53s touching but cant remember it

There was no back seater in that T-2 that stalled and crashed on the Lex. Students don't go to the boat with instructors in the back, the IP's aren't that stupid.

I can't believe I'm responding to the original topic of this thread. Yet I'm bored and since I'm a net geek, here it goes. We boat players do FCLP's for a reason. We originally fly T-2's or now T-45's for at least 10 periods of FCLP's followed by 2/10 (touch-n-go's/traps) and then go on to the FRS for many, many periods of FCLP's to fly 2/10 (day) and 2/6 (night). Even after those landings, it takes a while to become proficient. An F-16 pilot did not just roll into the groove and at 3/4 mile call the ball. It's ridiculous to beleive or think it happened. For the person who started this stupid rumor, seriously, think before you speak :icon_roll

Reactions: bch

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
If an AF jet was in trouble and needed help the air boss would have him pull up on the starboard side and punch out. Then the SAR bird would pull the guy out of the water and take him to the boat. I dont think any carrier CO or Air Boss would ever allow this F-16 story to happen. Why risk a bunch of airplanes and lives even trying?

rare21

pilot
Contributor
bunk22 said:
There was no back seater in that T-2 that stalled and crashed on the Lex. Students don't go to the boat with instructors in the back, the IP's aren't that stupid.

I can't believe I'm responding to the original topic of this thread. Yet I'm bored and since I'm a net geek, here it goes. We boat players do FCLP's for a reason. We originally fly T-2's or now T-45's for at least 10 periods of FCLP's followed by 2/10 (touch-n-go's/traps) and then go on to the FRS for many, many periods of FCLP's to fly 2/10 (day) and 2/6 (night). Even after those landings, it takes a while to become proficient. An F-16 pilot did not just roll into the groove and at 3/4 mile call the ball. It's ridiculous to beleive or think it happened. For the person who started this stupid rumor, seriously, think before you speak :icon_roll

watched the video, was made to watch it twice with the second time having the LT point out the backseater punch out...anyone else remember this?

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
rare21 said:
watched the video, was made to watch it twice with the second time having the LT point out the backseater punch out...anyone else remember this?

the only thing I remember is him pointing out the student punching out into the deck

like bunk said, they only go to the boat solo

Odom

Has the Navy lifted the JP-8 restriction aboard now? We were always briefed they wouldn't let us near the boat with anything other than JP-5. Curious if the boss would even let an AF plane with JP-8 land.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
rare21 said:

As a former LSO (squadron qualified), we study many cases at LSO school with this being one of them. I have the video at home as well. There was only a student flying that T-2. Instructors do not ride in the back during SNA's first time at the boat.