• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Cats and Dogs on Aircraft Carriers Thread . . . with F-16 insanity!

Did it happen? An F-16 trapped??\

• Yep, real deal.

Votes: 19 12.6%
  • Nope, you are high.

Votes: 74 49.0%
  • I think it was on JAG....

Votes: 58 38.4%

• Total voters

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My BS detector is screaming here. No google results to show for "F-16 carrier trap," "F-16 carrier landing" or "F-16 Arrested Landing." Plus, I'm a couple decades away from CVN CO-hood here, but what self-respecting carrier skipper would waste deck space on a broken AF plane that likely won't leave until he's pierside in another 5 months? I'd just tell the dude to punch out and send the helos out, personally.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
BigWorm said:
This is a little more like when the SGT tells the PFC all about the brand new high tech radio that just came in, and then tells him to run down and tell the Gunny that he needs to check out a PRC-E7

or like when the British actually place a crank on the masts of their ships and when going under a bridge make an unsuspecting American "Crank! Or the mast is gonna hit!"

TANGO 1

Contributor
I don't know why you guys think this will be on the internet. Why don't you go and look on the internet and tell me if you can find a place where a U.S Navy mail helo while trying to transfer mail, hooks-up on the net on the ship and then fall right into water. The problem is that you think everything makes it to the internet.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Because a USAF aircraft landing on a USN carrier would be HUGE news, not only for the military, but the aero-space industry as well. Think about it, not one of the books re-counting the jistory of the war, especially the ones that focused on the aviation aspect, mention this happening ever. Add that to the fact that none of the aviators on this site have ever heard of this happening.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
TANGO 1 said:
I don't know why you guys think this will be on the internet. Why don't you go and look on the internet and tell me if you can find a place where a U.S Navy mail helo while trying to transfer mail, hooks-up on the net on the ship and then fall right into water. The problem is that you think everything makes it to the internet.

If you're talking about the Marine 46 that caught it's mainmount on the side of the deck and its lift vector flipped it into the water, ya, I saw that on the net before I saw it in the Corps. Most vids are out there if you know where to look. Granted, some of the mishap vids they show in API and whatnot aren't, but a good chunk are.

Most things DO make it to the internet...and had something like that happened, not only would it be online, it'd be the masturbatory fantasy of every AF fighter jock out there... so there would be no way to not hear about it.

Just accept the fact you got taken.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow, you're right, I guess everything isn't on the Internet after all. I just hit up amazon.com trying to order a 55 gallon drum of military bearing grease and I couldn't find it. And I thought that was such a common thing too . . . :(

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
umm, i actually have the video of a -46 going over the side of the boat. I've read the story about it too somewhere. 7 drown, 3 sink, 4make it out but still drown, all marines I believe. 11 survive. Is this the one?

I've also seen the video of the handler getting sucked into the intake of a -18.

Also heard a firsthand account of the same. Something about him going around the bird the wrong direction. His cranial fod's the engine, and he crawls back out.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've seen the 46 video multiple times. It seems to be an old standby in many safety-related Navy powerpoints.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
thats the one i originally was talking about and when i saw it it just was something i wasnt expecting. its sad when you see that stuff happening. one of the good ones i saw was where that 53 was refueling then pulled up and cut off his own refueling probe....me and my dumbassness thought that was impossible then.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, I still hate watching the 46 video as I realize I'm watching people die. I've seen that 53 one, too, and I did think that that would have to suck. I hope they were outbound and not inbound.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
rare21 said:
thats the one i originally was talking about and when i saw it it just was something i wasnt expecting. its sad when you see that stuff happening. one of the good ones i saw was where that 53 was refueling then pulled up and cut off his own refueling probe....me and my dumbassness thought that was impossible then.

Ever see the video of the two CH-53s that touched rotors? It was bad.

Or the T-2 that went into a skidded turn stall and plowed right into the island of the carrier? That was bad.

The B-52 that went knife-edge into the ground from 1000 feet while the crews' families were watching? That was bad.

TANGO 1

Contributor
There has to be somebody here that has seen the JAG episode. If we can't get it on the internet then we can disqualify the proof somehow.

Has anybody seen the Navy Chief that was sucked up by a prowler.