• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Cats and Dogs on Aircraft Carriers Thread . . . with F-16 insanity!

Did it happen? An F-16 trapped??\

• Yep, real deal.

Votes: 19 12.6%
  • Nope, you are high.

Votes: 74 49.0%
  • I think it was on JAG....

Votes: 58 38.4%

• Total voters

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Uses for Aircraft Carriers

So now the Navy has asked the staunchly and traditionally USAF oriented RAND National Defense Research Institute to produce a report looking at new "combat and Noncombat uses of Aircraft Carriers". Well, blow me down....

Could be a smart strategy, getting THEIR think tank to support Navy...

Check it out: http://www.rand.org/pubs/monographs/2006/RAND_MG448.pdf

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
Interesting read! I never new they launched and recovered U-2's from carriers. Keep the good stuff coming JOE!!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
U-2 aboard USS America

Pcola04/30 said:
Interesting read! I never new they launched and recovered U-2's from carriers. Keep the good stuff coming JOE!!

Definitely not photo-shopped and you likely didn't know because nobody was supposed to know for a long while afterwards

carrier_03.jpg

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good and interesting read. I haven't read the whole think yet, but I think that the modular carrier is one of the biggest changes I'm seeing being recommended to the CVN itself. Otherwise, it seems that we have done some variation of each recommendation in the past. HeyJoe, I'm assuming that you get out to the ship every once in a while? Are you working ship stuff or the air side? Who knows, maybe I've flown you out a time or two?!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HooverPilot said:
Good and interesting read. I haven't read the whole think yet, but I think that the modular carrier is one of the biggest changes I'm seeing being recommended to the CVN itself. Otherwise, it seems that we have done some variation of each recommendation in the past. HeyJoe, I'm assuming that you get out to the ship every once in a while? Are you working ship stuff or the air side? Who knows, maybe I've flown you out a time or two?!

Last "ride" was on USS Nashville in May and I walked aboard. I'm looking at TR in late July but the COD hits are supposedly limited and 2 weeks at sea and not flying...that's for SWOS! (No offense intended).

pdx

HSM Pilot
heyjoe said:
Definitely not photo-shopped and you likely didn't know because nobody was supposed to know for a long while afterwards

carrier_03.jpg

If someone had told me a U-2 could land on a carrier, I would have assumed they were smoking crack. It doesn't seem like the airframe could survive an arrested landing. I guess you can stick a hook on anything.

launched without catapult assist, carrying a full load of fuel, in just over 320 feet of deck space. However, the subsequent landing attempt was not successful.

Wow, can an F-18 even launch without catapult assist?

pdx

HSM Pilot
Fly Navy said:

I didn't think so. I would be nervous launching a Piper Cub on a 320 foot deck, let alone a freaking U-2. They must have used some serious JATO or something similar.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Piper cub would be cake...just put 40knots of WOD and rotate in place....fly away.

In 1995 we loaded a big bunch of WWII war birds on the Chucky V and headed for Hawaii to celebrate the 50th Anniv of VJ Day.

We deck launched them all with no problem off Diamond Head. I'll see if I can locate some images.

pdx

HSM Pilot
Schnugg said:
Piper cub would be cake...just put 40knots of WOD and rotate in place....fly away.

In 1995 we loaded a big bunch of WWII war birds on the Chucky V and headed for Hawaii to celebrate the 50th Anniv of VJ Day.

We deck launched them all with no problem off Diamond Head. I'll see if I can locate some images.

I was kinda joking about the Piper, but I would think the rotation velocity for a U-2 was fairly high. After all, it was designed for high speed, high altitude flight.

It happened, so I can't really argue that it's impossible.:eek:

Also, I would love to see pics of warbirds launching from the boat.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Actually not, remember it has a huge straight high aspect ratio wing like a glider. Saw one do a takeoff and fly by at NAS Miramar airshow. I thought it was going to stall on climb out it was so slow and climbing so steeply.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
pdx said:
I didn't think so. I would be nervous launching a Piper Cub on a 320 foot deck, let alone a freaking U-2. They must have used some serious JATO or something similar.

We routinely launch from 300' without a catapult for CQ. With a full load we need more, plus water injection, but the 750 or 800 is as far back as you have. WOD helps, obviously.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
heyjoe said:
Last "ride" was on USS Nashville in May and I walked aboard. I'm looking at TR in late July but the COD hits are supposedly limited and 2 weeks at sea and not flying...that's for SWOS! (No offense intended).

Gotcha. It's the ship limiting the CODs. It's not like we have anything else to do do when a ship is out but bag traps. Let me know if you decide to go. Maybe I can get you the window seat. :D