• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO Board 09 NOV 20

sasebobeast

Well, finally got a word on my waiver. After 6 months of wait, it got approved today by OPNAV N1.

Nice and congrats! I am someone from SWO August 2020 Board. I remember you said that you never saw your name on the at-list board for August 2020 SWO Board because they were taking forever to look at your waiver.

Joselo_0084

Nice and congrats! I am someone from SWO August 2020 Board. I remember you said that you never saw your name on the at-list board for August 2020 SWO Board because they were taking forever to look at your waiver.
Yes. Mr. Celestin said that since the waiver was still pending, I was automatically enrolled into the next board, which should be November.

sasebobeast

Hey all! So I'm new to AirWarriors (although I've lurked a few times). I applied to SWO and submitted my package a week or two ago. My recruiter just got back to me and said they prescreened my application and said I was not competitive enough due to my degree. (For context, my degree is Communication Arts, BFA). Has this happened to anyone? I was slightly blindsided by this since I was not informed they do this type of screening. I've read prior to this that people with non-stem degrees could become SWO. And my recruiter up until this point said my package looked good and I had a good chance of being picked. I'm a bit devastated because that was my main shot to becoming an officer at this time, and I dropped my enlisted contract which I seemingly cannot get back.

My Stats:
GPA: 3.28
Degree: Communication Arts (BFA)
OAR: 50
I think someone with more knowledge will respond to this, but I think SWO designation usually welcomes all majors regardless. The same thing goes with Aviation like SNA and NFO which cares about your ASTB score even more than GPA and not the “major.” The only thing I can think of is an accreditation issue. Where did you go for undergrad? The only prescreening cut I heard for SWO is if it were very competitive, then they may prescreen for GPA, OAR, or even legal waivers; but not for degrees. Anyone else got insight on this?

If this were Intel, or Supply, then yes it would make sense as “major” plays a large role on selection, especially the classes you have taken. i.e. Supply has a “Calculus I”requirement I believe. But, I’ve seen Liberal Arts major get in for Supply, as you just need the “Calculus I” class in your official transcript.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply! That's what I thought too. I was advised to go SWO so I can work my way to PAO by officers and my recruiter. I went to Virginia Commonwealth University. I unfortunately only had one course of math required (I tested out of math for college and went straight to Stat so Supply was out.) You need at least 2 semesters of math or a calc course at the college level for Supply.
I was confused and upset by this prescreen, maybe its just super competitive this board, so definitely wanted to hear what others know.

exNavyOffRec

Hey all! So I'm new to AirWarriors (although I've lurked a few times). I applied to SWO and submitted my package a week or two ago. My recruiter just got back to me and said they prescreened my application and said I was not competitive enough due to my degree. (For context, my degree is Communication Arts, BFA). Has this happened to anyone? I was slightly blindsided by this since I was not informed they do this type of screening. I've read prior to this that people with non-stem degrees could become SWO. And my recruiter up until this point said my package looked good and I had a good chance of being picked. I'm a bit devastated because that was my main shot to becoming an officer at this time, and I dropped my enlisted contract which I seemingly cannot get back.

My Stats:
GPA: 3.28
Degree: Communication Arts (BFA)
OAR: 50
This makes no sense

I don’t even need to look that up to know that school is good, this doesn’t sound right at all checkout the program authorization
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this was strange. He said their reasoning was that they are looking for STEM majors. I was always in the understanding that the only requirement was having a degree and that you show leadership skills. Do you know who I can talk to about this to either appeal or get more details?

exNavyOffRec

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this was strange. He said their reasoning was that they are looking for STEM majors. I was always in the understanding that the only requirement was having a degree and that you show leadership skills. Do you know who I can talk to about this to either appeal or get more details?

Go to another NRD and find a good OR.