• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Survival Gear and Preparation...

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Would maybe stripping an MRE for just the entree be a good idea for a food source, or would that be too bulky?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah I remember that tidbit from the Paul Levins class. I was just thinking the MRE would be good in terms of being high in calories.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Don't forget about the all important boat survival kit (fresh boxers, toothbrush, razor, deodorant)...if fly with one, you'll never break down on the boat.

This of course complements the necessities for any flight >2.0: a couple of cokes and some granola bars. that's the survival stuff you'll actually use. oh, and bring a jacket, gloves and watch cap if its in the winter, especially if you're a helo guy. never know when you're going to spend a night in the sikorsky/boeing hotel.

And, since I'm a "chopper dude", I cram all this nonsense into a camelbak instead of the retarded issued helmet bag.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Salt, Pepper, Spork...if I get shot down and have to eat bugs, they will be TASTY bugs, dammit...

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Yeah I remember that tidbit from the Paul Levins class. I was just thinking the MRE would be good in terms of being high in calories.

They sell these survival bars that are extremely calorie dense. I think they're 2400-3000 calories per bar? MRE's aren't bad if you strip them, I guess.

JJCaesar

pilot
Camelback (70ish oz) in the helmet bag to drink in flight. Camelback bladder integral to the harness for survival. Watch cap, neoprene gloves, firestarter, extra battery x2 for the PRC-149.

donnyglaze

At the very least, a few packets of Quick-Clot would be a real good idea. That's that powdered crap that you dump in a wound and the bleeding stops within seconds. I swear to G-d, it's like fucking magic; even arterial bleeding. Cheap, too. The Army and Marines buy it by the truckload now. And it's most certainly possible to have a bad bleeder during an ejection/bailout.

I may not know too much, being the only salt that I have is from the fries at McDonalds, but every Doc that I spoke to at TBS told us to stay the hell away from quick-clot. We were all told that it does more damage than good. Sure it stops the bleeding, but it burns everything that is wet. And if you're bleeding alot, you'll have blood all over your hands and all over the skin and area surrounding the wound. I was told theres nothing that they can do with that shit after either. They have to just cut it all out.

But then again, the only experience that I have with it was I spilled it all over the floor of my room before a Fex. I hope they didn't issue us real quick clot, other wise they're going to be getting a nice surprise if they shampoo the floors ever.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I may not know too much, being the only salt that I have is from the fries at McDonalds, but every Doc that I spoke to at TBS told us to stay the hell away from quick-clot. We were all told that it does more damage than good. Sure it stops the bleeding, but it burns everything that is wet. And if you're bleeding alot, you'll have blood all over your hands and all over the skin and area surrounding the wound. I was told theres nothing that they can do with that shit after either. They have to just cut it all out.

But then again, the only experience that I have with it was I spilled it all over the floor of my room before a Fex. I hope they didn't issue us real quick clot, other wise they're going to be getting a nice surprise if they shampoo the floors ever.

Absolutely concur. If you use quick clot and get to the ER they have to decon you before they can work. If you have the ablity to self administer you are better off with a tourniquet.

This has been beaten to death but you will rarely if ever find yourself on walk about long enough to need more food than a whatever bar. Water ammo a radio and ammo is all you really need. I dont want half the crap on my vest both CONUS and OCONUS let alone extra crap.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
1) It was real quick-clot. You're dumb. This is the reason that docs are so bat shit about it; Marines do stupid shit with it.

2) They wont shampoo the carpets, but your next room owners are gonna hate you when they get back from the E course.

3) All it takes is good training. And that Marines life is worth way more than the 2nd/3rd degree burns on your hands.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot

The old stuff is a bitch to use. It gets very very hot and would be difficult to apply to yourself. I'd leave that stuff to a no-shit corpsman/medic.

The new stuff that is impregnated in the gauze/bandages is much more user friendly and does not get nearly as hot.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
This has been beaten to death but you will rarely if ever find yourself on walk about long enough to need more food than a whatever bar. Water ammo a radio and ammo is all you really need. I dont want half the crap on my vest both CONUS and OCONUS let alone extra crap.

100% agree. I honestly wouldn't pack more than a bar IF that. I learned a valuable lesson about food at SERE school. You DO NOT need to eat for a LOONG time before you start seeing seriously bad effects from malnutrition. After 6 days with virtually NO food (except one..... "orchestrated" quasi-meal in the field), I still had a fair amount of energy and wasn't hungry.

I personally would pack extra water than food ANY day. That tiny little bottle in the vest is not NEARLY enough and water is MUCH more of a commodity in a survival situation than food.

3 days vs 3 weeks. The math is simple.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
I've got a .5L version of this bottle. It's very useful and I'll probably try to put one in my vest whenever I get my own. Or, since my new pocket checklist doesn't even fit in a pocket, I could just put it there. Either way, right now while the temperature is in the "can wring out helmet liner post-flight" range, the 100oz camelbak is what I'm using.

Edit: Say, Mods, is my browser acting up or are there two identically-titled threads on this topic?

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
I stand by my original post on the other survival thread. Neoprene gloves and a wool stocking cap. Go in the water in the winter and your exposed hands will be useless in less than 15 minutes. Most of your body heat escapes via your head.

I don't have this on anything factual - perhaps some JO @ Naval Safety Center can take time out from surfing the net and do some real analysis - over the course of XX years, how many Navy ejections or helo crashes have ended up in the drink? I'm guessing more than 50%. No need for matches or knives, etc in that environ.

You don't need food - you will get rescued (or die from another reason) way before you starve to death or lose your strength due to malnutrition. You need to stay warm enough to maintain your wits and have functioning fingers to operate your radio or flares. Equally important over water in the winter or in the mountains, while on deployment or during workups, from the boat or homeplate.

Prowler RAG ejection in the winter over the Cascades - Instructor ECMO on the ground about 90 minutes if I recall the story correctly. Close to debilitating hypothermia. Told me he had matches, etc. First 15-30 minutes the shock and adrenaline kept him busy. Did not even think about building a fire, or any of that other Magyver stuff. By the time the rush wore off, he realized he was pretty damn cold and beginning to fade fast.

VA-145 ejection off the end of the runway @ NUW around 1990 timeframe. Less than 30 minutes in the water - chilled to the bone.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I stand by my original post on the other survival thread. Neoprene gloves and a wool stocking cap. Go in the water in the winter and your exposed hands will be useless in less than 15 minutes. Most of your body heat escapes via your head.

I don't have this on anything factual - perhaps some JO @ Naval Safety Center can take time out from surfing the net and do some real analysis - over the course of XX years, how many Navy ejections or helo crashes have ended up in the drink? I'm guessing more than 50%. No need for matches or knives, etc in that environ.

You don't need food - you will get rescued (or die from another reason) way before you starve to death or lose your strength due to malnutrition. You need to stay warm enough to maintain your wits and have functioning fingers to operate your radio or flares. Equally important over water in the winter or in the mountains, while on deployment or during workups, from the boat or homeplate.

Prowler RAG ejection in the winter over the Cascades - Instructor ECMO on the ground about 90 minutes if I recall the story correctly. Close to debilitating hypothermia. Told me he had matches, etc. First 15-30 minutes the shock and adrenaline kept him busy. Did not even think about building a fire, or any of that other Magyver stuff. By the time the rush wore off, he realized he was pretty damn cold and beginning to fade fast.

VA-145 ejection off the end of the runway @ NUW around 1990 timeframe. Less than 30 minutes in the water - chilled to the bone.

Which reminds me of a great (if not always adhered to) bit of advice:

Dress to Egress...