• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Survival Gear and Preparation...

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Some people have mentioned getting a different type of holster, especially since we can take our vests off in flight but need to have our firearm with us. Does anyone have any recommendations? Also, it seems like it'd get really bulky having the M9 on our already crowded vests. I was thinking a drop-leg type holster.

I have a Blackhawk belt and drop holster. Granted, I'm in a 60 but it fits fine in there for me and it doesn't interfere with any of the controls.

Plus, like you said, it's a pain with how crowded the vest is and I couldn't find any reasonable place that it'd hang on there. The leg holster solved that for me.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I have a Blackhawk belt and drop holster. Granted, I'm in a 60 but it fits fine in there for me and it doesn't interfere with any of the controls.

Plus, like you said, it's a pain with how crowded the vest is and I couldn't find any reasonable place that it'd hang on there. The leg holster solved that for me.

I'm in the P-3 so there's plenty of room in there (at least more than the Cobra). Did you have any problems with the belt fitting and staying in place despite wearing a flight suit?

busdriver

None
I've worn a drop holster in the past, very annoying and I was always afraid it'd get jammed up if the seat stroked, at best breaking the gun at worst my leg. I've switched to a paddle holster worn with a gun belt, fits nicely in the 60 and I can still get to it from a seated position.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
I'm in the P-3 so there's plenty of room in there (at least more than the Cobra). Did you have any problems with the belt fitting and staying in place despite wearing a flight suit?

XJ,

Myself ad a couple of guys in our squadron had the PRs move the empty upper left pouch on the survival vest to the lower left side of the harness and put our holsters up on our left shoulders. We weren't going to be winning any quick draw contests but it was a hell of a lot more comfortable than having it dig into my side if I managed to grab a nap.

We had a couple folks try the leg holsters, but at least for sitting in the pilot seat it tended to rub on the elevator trim wheel. About the only person who wore one for the whole deployment was one of the navs.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

No, it stayed up and in position with no problem.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
Some people have mentioned getting a different type of holster, especially since we can take our vests off in flight but need to have our firearm with us. Does anyone have any recommendations? Also, it seems like it'd get really bulky having the M9 on our already crowded vests. I was thinking a drop-leg type holster.

Worried about hijackers or is it an accountability issue not having the firearm with you at all times?

danpass

For when you get to the fleet, take a look at my post on this thread for a good suggestion.

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150580

In the mean time, if you have a CAC, go to the PMA202 site: http://pma202.navair.navy.mil/ and click on the SOASI Catalog. It's State of the Arts survival items. All been tested and approved for use. Lots of good knives, new gloves, etc. Just met one kid last week at tailhook who didn't bother waiting to get back to his squadron... went out and ordered the WileyX Orion gloves on his own. :)
No CAC but I would love to see that 'this-is-what-works' list.

Possible?

danpass

Anyone ever use their cutter? How did it go?

If you were buying your own what commercial one would you get?