• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Survival Gear and Preparation...

Pugs

Back from the range
None
VA-145 ejection off the end of the runway @ NUW around 1990 timeframe. Less than 30 minutes in the water - chilled to the bone.

Yep, IIRC the H-3 had them to the base hospital in less than 20 minutes and the B/N, who had not lost his helmet and had gotten in his raft and pulled the little spray skirt up, body temp was 94. The pilot who lost his helmet and didn't pull the skirt up was 92.

Likely should have always worn dry suits out of NUW but I wasn't about to bring that horror show up:D

Extra water is always good in the right climes for sure but not a real issue domestic IMO. I did carry two extra of those little flat green canteens with me on cruise but be warned their seams give way after a month or so of pressurization cycles! :(

Of course, one of my fellow ECMO's only carried the issue .38 during that first cruise and he wouldn't load it because "loaded guns are dangerous" so I could have always shot him and taken his water. ;)

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Unfortunately, I've found myself enexpectedly a member of the ground force, and this is what was most useful: (at least in the desert)
1. Light sources (Phantom light, Petzl around my neck, and a small mag light)
2. a 1qt "Pakteen"(Camelbak) of water on the side of my vest
3. Signaling devices

I've collected AARs from our guys who have found themselves in the same spot (unfortunately) and can PM more detailed information as well as a class I made to teach common sense flight gear set up for survival.

We also have very specific requirements on our vests and flight uniform as to where stuff is stored.

MR-

exhelodrvr

pilot
Yep, IIRC the H-3 had them to the base hospital in less than 20 minutes and the B/N, who had not lost his helmet and had gotten in his raft and pulled the little spray skirt up, body temp was 94. The pilot who lost his helmet and didn't pull the skirt up was 92.

Likely should have always worn dry suits out of NUW but I wasn't about to bring that horror show up:D

Even in relatively warm water (high-50's, low-60's, like it is off the coast of SoCal most of the year) it doesn't take long to lose dexterity in your hands and to get hypothermic.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Even in relatively warm water (high-50's, low-60's, like it is off the coast of SoCal most of the year) it doesn't take long to lose dexterity in your hands and to get hypothermic.

50-60 degree water is still BALLS cold, and I believe in the "should" range for cold-weather gear. I would think relatively warm water would be 70 and even THAT is really cold to the touch when first getting into it, and still hypothermic with extended exposure. Just check out that exposure vs temp chart.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Prowler RAG ejection in the winter over the Cascades - Instructor ECMO on the ground about 90 minutes if I recall the story correctly. Close to debilitating hypothermia. Told me he had matches, etc. First 15-30 minutes the shock and adrenaline kept him busy. Did not even think about building a fire, or any of that other Magyver stuff. By the time the rush wore off, he realized he was pretty damn cold and beginning to fade fast.
THIS. That was my personal worst case scenario when flying up there. I figured that if I ended up in the drink, I'd either be rescued or in my raft in short order. But over the mountains, I had visions of coming down on a 60-degree slope and getting ankles and legs messed up, or coming down on a mountain ledge somewhere balls cold with nowhere to go.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ditto. One of the big things I learned at SERE is how long you can go without food, as long as you have enough water. Also, mountain laurel tastes surprisingly good.

I'm a big fan of Quik-Clot. If you ever see the training videos of how fast it can stop even arterial bleeding, you will too.

If you ever have to jump for-real, what are the odds you'll need ammo, food, Rambo knife or a high-speed GPS? Compare to the odds of you getting severe lacerations or even amputation during an ejection. Much more likely, statistically, that it'll be a peacetime bailout and every helo within a hundred miles will be racing your way...it'd certainly suck to bleed out sitting in a farmer's field, waiting for the Coast Guard.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Seen the video of quik-clot vs. pig arterial bleeding, saw the black marks on the skin all around the wound cavity at the end where the 2nd/3rd degree burns scorched the piggy.

Good for bacon, but I think I would rather use a 1-handed tourniquet if possible.

Of course, if it comes down to it, I suppose I will take what I can get vice bleeding out.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Edit: Say, Mods, is my browser acting up or are there two identically-titled threads on this topic?
Nope, your browser is just fine. We have 2 threads with the same title and I'm surprised they haven't been merged yet.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Good huntin' in the cascades. Put a bear tag in your survival vest. If you can come home w/ a bear claw, you would probably be up there with The Great Santini.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nope, your browser is just fine. We have 2 threads with the same title and I'm surprised they haven't been merged yet.
Be surprised no more. :)

Ditto. One of the big things I learned at SERE is how long you can go without food, as long as you have enough water. Also, mountain laurel tastes surprisingly good.
Mountain laurel?? MOUNTAIN LAUREL??? You must have been a Brunswick guy. If I never eat another prickly pear, it'll be too soon. :yuck_125:

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Good huntin' in the cascades. Put a bear tag in your survival vest. If you can come home w/ a bear claw, you would probably be up there with The Great Santini.

True. Which is why it would be important to have a nice, sporty knife for the mountain hunting. You'd be a squadron legend, if you punched out, knifed a manbearpig in the face and returned with honor. :D

Pugs

Back from the range
None

Don't think there was a year of deer and elk hunting up there I didn't see a bear. Course, I wasn't trying with the SV-2 Kbar either!