• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Survival Gear and Preparation...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Water ... an extra knife (folder) ... water ... extra ammo (mixed hardball & flare rounds) ... water ... a couple of candy bars ... water.

Did I mention a spare radio??

And water ... ??? :)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Not that I'm a fleet expert or anything (basically that means you can ignore this post), but my priorities based on API/flight school/SERE would be something that is NOT a face mask. Maybe more WATER for one. Food for two. And extra rounds for three. mag block and/or lighter and vasolined cotton. :)

PR1 H

Perpetually fixing cranial/rectal inversions
Something that you guys might want to look into carrying... extremely lightweight, but can be huge in a survival situation. Get yourself a ziplock sandwich bag and fill it full of dryer lint. Tuck that in the inside pocket of your CMU-36. It will provide a little bit of cushion for your ribs from the items in your pockets, and when a spark from say a Blastmatch hits it... that lint will go up like a pair of panties when daddy comes home. All you need is to stack a little tinder twigs on top of it and you've got a good fire going pretty easy.

PR1 H

Perpetually fixing cranial/rectal inversions
For when you get to the fleet, take a look at my post on this thread for a good suggestion.

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150580

In the mean time, if you have a CAC, go to the PMA202 site: http://pma202.navair.navy.mil/ and click on the SOASI Catalog. It's State of the Arts survival items. All been tested and approved for use. Lots of good knives, new gloves, etc. Just met one kid last week at tailhook who didn't bother waiting to get back to his squadron... went out and ordered the WileyX Orion gloves on his own. :)

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Something that you guys might want to look into carrying... extremely lightweight, but can be huge in a survival situation. Get yourself a ziplock sandwich bag and fill it full of dryer lint. Tuck that in the inside pocket of your CMU-36. It will provide a little bit of cushion for your ribs from the items in your pockets, and when a spark from say a Blastmatch hits it... that lint will go up like a pair of panties when daddy comes home. All you need is to stack a little tinder twigs on top of it and you've got a good fire going pretty easy.

I get the feeling that every PR on the planet is an expert in metaphor and -isms.

Should this lint be greased so that it doesn't disappear too fast?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Welcome to the board PR1, looking forward to your expertise on all things PR-ish......for lack of a better term ;).

Hmmm, I will let PR1 weigh-in but since it might be a fire hazard I would say no.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
In the mean time, if you have a CAC, go to the PMA202 site: http://pma202.navair.navy.mil/ and click on the SOASI Catalog. It's State of the Arts survival items. All been tested and approved for use. Lots of good knives, new gloves, etc. Just met one kid last week at tailhook who didn't bother waiting to get back to his squadron... went out and ordered the WileyX Orion gloves on his own. :)

Great, thanks for the link! Those gloves without the fingertips you had at the booth were nice

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I get the feeling that every PR on the planet is an expert in metaphor and -isms.

I suppose you could. I remember learning the trick with putting cotton balls in vasoline then storing them in a plastic container. They burn for a WHILE.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
A long time ago, I heard the phrase "Eat what the monkey eats, then eat the monkey." I suppose it only applies to tropical areas though. And then you'd have to catch the damn thing. But it is something to keep in mind.

An acquaintence of mine, when presenting survival gouge several years ago to a group of Tomcat pilots, was discussing setting traps, etc. in order to catch a squirrel. Then she asked the question..."would it be better to follow the squirrel back to his hole and eat his nuts?" she never got to finish with this: and then kill him. The entire room erupted in laughter.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor

I tried that out in the field and found that it doesn't work for squat if the stuff you have collected the lint from is synthetic...it tends to melt.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Wash a load of bath towels and you should be set for several outings; new towels provide the best lint.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Around NUW I had vacuum packed a stocking cap, pair of wool gloves a couple of those chemical handwarmer dealies. Crunched by the vacuum it took up half a g-suit pocket.

Extra stuff I carried everywhere. Note that some of the crappy Navy gear might be better now so you wouldn't need this.

- A minimag light to augment the small plastic penlight POS
- Extra AA batteries for said light
- Mag block
- Leatherman
- A film canister (remember those!) with some fishhooks and about twenty feet of 10 lb test and a couple of hairs ear nymphs (hey, who knows what fishing mecca you might find if you step out over the Cascades)
- A paperback book in my g-suit pocket. It changed over time but I can't recall there not being one there. Works for boredom and makes great fire starter.