• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Survival Gear and Preparation...

Spot

11.5 years and counting boat free
I used to have a sealed little survival cheat sheet.

What's OK to eat. What's poisonous. Couple shelter ideas.

A long time ago, I heard the phrase "Eat what the monkey eats, then eat the monkey." I suppose it only applies to tropical areas though. And then you'd have to catch the damn thing. But it is something to keep in mind.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Survival Gear List (CONUS):

1. Your wallet. Always have cash on hand; believe it or not, not every survival location accepts plastic.
2. Your cell phone. Comms, comms, comms.
3. Your car keys. Sometimes you can evade back to your car before you are rescued.
4. Extra squadron patches. Patches, especially the "cool" ones, are worth their weight in gold in rescue situations.
5. Extra squadron stickers. I mean, how else are your rescuers supposed to know to what bars you've been? Consider them a modern-day trail of breadcrumbs.
6. Your cover. Your rescuers (or prison camp) may require them.
7. Civvies. (Optional, but highly encouraged.) Note: Collared shirts, khaki shorts, braided belts, and sandals may delay your rescue.

All of the above should weigh less than five pounds. Additionally, ensure the scale is properly calibrated. You don't want to be the guy who mistakenly brings 5.1 pounds of gear.

Never fly with your car keys, or at least make sure they're on your person.

Believe me, it's a sinking feeling when you're in a field, watching your aircraft burn, thinking, "Wow, not only am I fucked, but my car keys are in my helmet bag...inside a burning aircraft...great....how the hell am I getting home...wonderful day this is turning out to be..."

exhelodrvr

pilot
Never fly with your car keys, or at least make sure they're on your person.

Believe me, it's a sinking feeling when you're in a field, watching your aircraft burn, thinking, "Wow, not only am I fucked, but my car keys are in my helmet bag...inside a burning aircraft...great....how the hell am I getting home...wonderful day this is turning out to be..."

Well, that's your fault. You're supposed to keep a spare cover and set of keys on your desk, so if someone stops by looking for you it looks like you haven't left for the day yet.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I do the cover thing, but having an extra set of keys for that purpose is carrying the deception plan a bit far...

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Survival Gear

HeloBubba said:
Unless, of course, you happened to have a dive mask in your survival gear. ;)

Now that you mention it...swim goggles are pretty dang light and small. Not that I would want to try to get them on under my helmet.

What do the guys that have been there and done that carry for their optional gear in their vest in different climates? What sounds like a good idea to carry, but isn't? Any sea stories? Is it really optional or does your unit SOP your 5lbs for you?

jfulginiti

pilot
None
I never carried any extra gear.... unless you count a cell phone, Visa card and a $20 bill. In Iraq, I didn't carry anything extra at all.

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
I just copied Major "King" Kong's survival kit.

OK, I never really carried anything extra, just the 9mm over Indian Country, but I made sure my smokes and a lighter were packed watertight. Would've hated to be waitin' for a helo ride with nothin' to smoke.

Oh, and a big knife strapped to the torso harness after I went to an integrated rig.