• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Survival Gear and Preparation...

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Lots of good suggestions here, but there's no point in buying any of it now, really, except for maybe some extra first-aid items (MB's suggestion of an Israeli tourniquet is a good one). You're not likely to be in an extended survival situation in the TRACOM/RAG.

Good point which I didn't mention in my previous post....I'm mostly looking for immediate action kinda stuff at this point since it would more than likely be less than a couple hours on the ground. Anyway, awesome suggestions gents, really appreciate the feedback. Keep em coming!

H60Gunner

Contributor
Can't go wrong with extra water.

Also the Quick-Clot shat is a good investment weight wise. I carry it for my horses and mules in the backcountry where help is a long ways away.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
A set of neoprene wet suit gloves. Having a cool leatherman won't mean jack if you're hands are soaking wet in ice cold water and don't work after about 15 minutes.

Stupid question. What are you using a multi-tool to do in the ocean?

KBayDog

Survival Gear List (CONUS):

1. Your wallet. Always have cash on hand; believe it or not, not every survival location accepts plastic.
2. Your cell phone. Comms, comms, comms.
3. Your car keys. Sometimes you can evade back to your car before you are rescued.
4. Extra squadron patches. Patches, especially the "cool" ones, are worth their weight in gold in rescue situations.
5. Extra squadron stickers. I mean, how else are your rescuers supposed to know to what bars you've been? Consider them a modern-day trail of breadcrumbs.
6. Your cover. Your rescuers (or prison camp) may require them.
7. Civvies. (Optional, but highly encouraged.) Note: Collared shirts, khaki shorts, braided belts, and sandals may delay your rescue.

All of the above should weigh less than five pounds. Additionally, ensure the scale is properly calibrated. You don't want to be the guy who mistakenly brings 5.1 pounds of gear.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Ever fly over the Cascade Mountains in winter? You do that a lot out of Whidbey.

Yep, one of those little string chain saws and a mag block were part of my optional along with a vacuum packed orange stocking cap and gloves and a couple chemical hand warmers. With 500 inches of snow not uncommon in the Cascades warm is good.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ever fly over the Cascade Mountains in winter? You do that a lot out of Whidbey.
Scared the shit out of me thinking about ejecting there. WTF do you do if you manage to come down on the summit of an 8,000 foot mountain? PLF down it? :eek:

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Went out last night and picked up a few things listed above including a 50 oz camelback bladder. Would it be "proper" to roll into the PR shop with a bottle of bourbon or something in exchange for them integrating my new gear into my vest?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
You really won't be needing that in the 45. I'd recommend just trying to fly it in normal gear 1st.

Fair enough, although I was excited about the water since I always hated my water bottle rolling around in the nav case in the -34

MasterBates

Most of the early flights in the 45 will have you too busy to drink. Plus the average hop is maybe 1.2ish so it's not like you will be in there that long.