• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about the Rhino (Super Hornet)

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
TuxFlier said:
Oh man, the ignorance makes me laugh.

Yes, that was a somewhat tongue-in-cheek comment, not necessarily aimed at every platform. Of course, being on the internet, it becomes SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Lighten up Francis.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Neat! A Harrier pilot telling an AC-130 guy that his community doesn't know what CAS is.

Neat! A U2 guy who couldn't tell the difference either way.:D

Come on, man. We've hashed this debate out multiple times. Whether it's USAF/USMC or single seats vs. WSOs in FAC(A) or different platforms vs one another..........we've heard a lot from multiple view points from multiple people who know what they're talking about.

That's fine. If we're going to do it again, then let's go. But to come in and start calling the whole debate ignorant and then bugging out seems weak. If he's an experienced AC-130 guy, then I'd love to hear what he has to say. Seriously. AC-130s is the one area of the CAS world that I have little first hand knowledge. I've seen the videos and I've heard their lectures. I just haven't controlled one or seen it up close.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
I'd hear rumors that they would might more super hornets coming up. Nice to see something in writing.

Now if they could only fix those wing pylons....

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
SS asks "what mission does the F have that the E doesn't?" Well, the standard answer is that the front-seater can focus on one mission (say AA), while the rear-seat dude focuses on air-to-ground, EW or networking battlefield info to other a/c & ground units. What is 850lbs of gas in a Super Hornet? 15 minutes of flight-time? I'd prefer the improved mission capabilities to 15 minutes of un-refueled air time.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
I'd prefer the improved mission capabilities to 15 minutes of un-refueled air time.

Of course you would!! Job security...

In all seriousness, thanks for the answer. I honestly had no idea what advantages a two-holer brought. But it begs the question, why not go all E's or all F's? (From a C guy that's burning up FLE)

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Personally, I am proud of the way the Navy has adopted the 2-seat concept, particularly given the [not unreasonable] ego of Naval Aviator pilots. The USAF has reluctantly gone 2-seat mostly when DOD made them (F-4) or there was no other way to do the mission (F-15E). Being 25 years out of the cockpit & retired, I've no dog in this most recent fight. But I do sincerely feel that 2 humans + lots of computers may be the best way to avoid a future of UCAVs for the majority of tacair missions. Think about it: how many ADM Fallon's has the AF produced? I think the answer is "none".

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Personally, I am proud of the way the Navy has adopted the 2-seat concept, particularly given the [not unreasonable] ego of Naval Aviator pilots. The USAF has reluctantly gone 2-seat mostly when DOD made them (F-4) or there was no other way to do the mission (F-15E). Being 25 years out of the cockpit & retired, I've no dog in this most recent fight. But I do sincerely feel that 2 humans + lots of computers may be the best way to avoid a future of UCAVs for the majority of tacair missions. Think about it: how many ADM Fallon's has the AF produced? I think the answer is "none".

Shack