• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about the Rhino (Super Hornet)

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Is there talk of replacing the T-39's with T-45's? I would prefer to see another biz jet type replace it but I am not sure how much it would cost.

After I got my wings in 88 and was waiting to go to Corry they brought in a wide selection of Biz Jets for us winged guys to go fly in and give our impressions. I'd have to go back and look at what they all were but I remember one of the Lear models, the Westwind and the T-39 at least. We went and flew them on typical VT events and wrote up most of our impressions and recommendations and from the students perspective staying with what we used then, the T-47, seemed best to us. Anyway they went back to the T-39. For those that don't remember them, the T-47 (fighting platypus) was a Cessna Citation IISP with bigger engines, three feet cut off each wing to get the roll rate up 90 degrees/sec and a first generation APG-66 in the nose. It really was a sweet ride that could make it up to 40K if required (and light). After the Navy got rid of them they were in a hangar in Kansas that got flattened by a tornado so I think they were all destroyed.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Navy/Cessna-T-47A-Citation/0586579/M/

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Damn, you are old! :D:smile_gre:icon_smil

-ea6bflyr ;)

Old enough I got the pleasure of picking up spanking new block 86 Prowlers from Grumman Calverton :) They smelled like new cars and came with new sets of leg restraints and a shiny P&W plaque. :icon_smil (assuming you could pry them off the engine)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
......the T-47, seemed best to us. Anyway they went back to the T-39. For those that don't remember them, the T-47 (fighting platypus) was a Cessna Citation IISP with bigger engines, three feet cut off each wing to get the roll rate up 90 degrees/sec and a first generation APG-66 in the nose. It really was a sweet ride that could make it up to 40K if required (and light). After the Navy got rid of them they were in a hangar in Kansas that got flattened by a tornado so I think they were all destroyed.

Why did the Navy get rid of them?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Super Hornets for my friends...

One seat or two is the question....as it appears that fears that current OPTEMPO is literally wearing out the A-D Hornets and the F-35 won't be ready to replace them soooooooo, Boeing stands ready to keep the Super Hornet line open after it finishes building the EA-18G Growlers (or Shockers if you prefer). Even the most optimistic projections show a shortfall of 69 strike fighters, which would make Boeing very happy to fill that gap.

Boeing also suggests why not skip the F-35 altogether and they'll provide the generation strike fighter with even more capability when the time comes. Of course, too much is riding on the F-35 and LMCO knows that, but they aren't pleased with Boeing reps talking up their proposal(s). Read all about the latest machinations in AvWeek article and pass the popcorn, please.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Anyone know the "budget" prices for the F-18E & F-18F? I can't believe the F costs materially more than the E. Why wouldn't you want the more capable a/c if the cost is only slightly more? Yes, the total life-cycle costs for a 2-seater are greater, but NFO's need jobs, too!

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
I can't believe I don't know this, but what mission does the F have that the E doesn't? And don't say FAC(A) because VMFA-115 is proving right now that single seat FAC(A) works. Viper and A-10 guys have been doing it for years.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Viper and A-10 guys have been doing it for years.

Vipers and A-10s have been doing SCAR "for years." SCAR =/= CAS. FAC(A) is CAS-centric. CAS is the coordination of aviation fires in close proximity to a ground manuever element. SCAR happens forward of the FSCL/BCL.

I'm not saying single seat platforms can't do FAC(A), but there seems to be this constant insistence that the AF has been doing SS FAC(A) forever. The AF hardly knows what CAS is, let alone how to control it.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
I'm not saying single seat platforms can't do FAC(A), but there seems to be this constant insistence that the AF has been doing SS FAC(A) forever. The AF hardly knows what CAS is, let alone how to control it.

That's a pretty bold statement (although I'm not arguing it). You may take a few swings from guys at an AF O-club for that.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can't believe I don't know this, but what mission does the F have that the E doesn't? And don't say FAC(A) because VMFA-115 is proving right now that single seat FAC(A) works. Viper and A-10 guys have been doing it for years.

But do they do it well, or as well as a two seat aircraft?