• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about the Rhino (Super Hornet)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Coming from a guy who knows nothing about any of this, I would think though the Navy would eventually want a 5th generation fighter/attack/etc aircraft. Meaning, I would hope the JSF isn't cancelled for the Navy and Boeing gets to deliver more SH. Maybe the fact that Boeing's XF-32 lost the JSF competition makes them a little bitter. Hell, the fact they just lost the tanker contract probably makes them even more bitter. IMO, if you're going to create something this ugly, you deserve to lose.

x-32-c35-1781-65-s.jpg

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
IMHO, before this is all over there will be a Navy 2-seat F-35. It will bring together in one airframe the AA, attack/deep-strike, EW & battlefield info manager roles. This opinion is worth what you paid for it, but I think this is where the Navy will go.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
IMHO, before this is all over there will be a Navy 2-seat F-35. It will bring together in one airframe the AA, attack/deep-strike, EW & battlefield info manager roles. This opinion is worth what you paid for it, but I think this is where the Navy will go.

There is no way - the "too hard" and "too expensive" lights would come on long before we could get it done. Besides, the smart money is on taking bodies out of tactical aircraft, not putting more in...

FLY_USMC

pilot
IMO, if you're going to create something this ugly, you deserve to lose.
I couldn't agree more, but if you've ever seen the "actual" JSF that Boeing was "going" to produce with a similar tail structure as the F-35.....it actually didn't look all that bad, just sucks their technology demonstrators were hideous.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
What the hell was up against the C-2??!

It had no competition. Nobody could design anything uglier. It's well known that the ship always wants to launch the COD immediately, not for room on the flight deck but for flight deck bueatification.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
There is no way - the "too hard" and "too expensive" lights would come on long before we could get it done. Besides, the smart money is on taking bodies out of tactical aircraft, not putting more in...

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the strategic impact of losing a crew of 2 just about as bad as losing 1? I get what you are saying about the general trend to UAV's, but who is going to say "whew, at least there was only 1 guy in that aircraft, not 2" when an F-35 crashes behind enemy lines in the next war?

As far as the impact when it is flashed on CNN all over the world, its basically the same.