• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about the Rhino (Super Hornet)

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Sell the farm! Sell the farm!!!
Wait, he didn't "buy it."

Ut-uh....

*Pluck*

Well against an adversary that just goes level across the horizon, or someone that doesn't understand fundamental BFM, selling that farm would give them such a helmet fire it may work. It's all about getting that first shot. Follow on BFM may be an issue if it doesn't work though. Where's a Harrier guy to chime in when you need one?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Well against an adversary that just goes level across the horizon, or someone that doesn't understand fundamental BFM, selling that farm would give them such a helmet fire it may work. It's all about getting that first shot. Follow on BFM may be an issue if it doesn't work though. Where's a Harrier guy to chime in when you need one?

Right here.

Using nozzles during BFM works, but it is indeed "selling the farm" to a large degree. If it doesn't work, you'd better have a good wingman.

It's not a magic trick that will make everybody and their brother go shooting right past you. It depletes energy, but it's a good last ditch move or a technique for getting quick angles for a shot.

Not surprisingly, we haven't been doing much of this lately since we've spent the majority of our time doing ISR and whacking the Muj.

Why does everything always devolve into a BFM debate around here? It's fun, but not really relevant in todays war.

Please begin the "But if we go to war with China tomorrow......" discussion now, please.

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
OK, seriously. We need BFM capabilities, but it shouldn't be the driving factor in designing strike/fighter aircraft. Statistical threat, baby, statistical threat.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Why does everything always devolve into a BFM debate around here? It's fun, but not really relevant in todays war.

Please begin the "But if we go to war with China tomorrow......" discussion now, please.

Oh, don't worry. I for one have no desire to turn this into talk about (lets be serious) air-to-me engagements...
:)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
..... Why does everything always devolve into a BFM debate around here? It's fun....
Because IT IS fun??? Because IT IS one of the most basic tactical skills there is .... aside from bombing/strafing ... :)

And it -- actually all of these tactical endeavors --- makes for some great "hand flyin'" at the Club bar afterwards .... :)

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Not surprisingly, we haven't been doing much of this lately since we've spent the majority of our time doing ISR and whacking the Muj.

Which is relevant when beating Carolina lawn darts like redheaded step children. Not a knock, just the way it is. Not only is it NOT a fighter, but it's not a role you guys will ever fulfill. If you have too something has gone terribly wrong. (X)CAS is where it's all at anyway, and the air-ground stuff is where we need your help tightening most of the time.

g2s

VT-86 question guys... I'm an AF pilot that's interested in flying an IP tour with the Navy. I've heard WSO/CSO/NFO advanced training is transitioning to the T-45. Is it just going to be a Navy/USMC deal or are the AF studs going to be flying in the T-45 too? If the answer is yes, what timeframe are they looking at starting this? I'd be interested in a T-45 gig to train newly minted WSOs going to my MWS. Thanks for your replies.

magnetfreezer

VT-86 question guys... I'm an AF pilot that's interested in flying an IP tour with the Navy. I've heard WSO/CSO/NFO advanced training is transitioning to the T-45. Is it just going to be a Navy/USMC deal or are the AF studs going to be flying in the T-45 too? If the answer is yes, what timeframe are they looking at starting this? I'd be interested in a T-45 gig to train newly minted WSOs going to my MWS. Thanks for your replies.

Initially the 45 is supposed to replace the T-2; AF studs don't fly it down here anyway (AF wings the Mudhen guys right after T-39s and sends them to Moody for IFF instead of doing the ATM flights in the T-2).

The most recent brief from the new senior AF liaison down here is that the AF studs will not be in the T-45 even if they replace the T-39s as well; Big Blue is apparently concerned about more instruction from INs as opposed to IPs and will be transitioning everyone over to a T-6/T-1 program when they get Randolph moved down here in 2010 (setting up a separate training group on the flightline instead of leaving AF studs in TW-6).

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Initially the 45 is supposed to replace the T-2; AF studs don't fly it down here anyway

22 years ago when I applied for AOCS the interviewing officer while going over the training track said the T-2's and A-4's would be gone from VT-10 and VT-86 by the time I got there and replaced by T-45's!

:D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
22 years ago when I applied for AOCS the interviewing officer while going over the training track said the T-2's and A-4's would be gone from VT-10 and VT-86 by the time I got there and replaced by T-45's!

They never learn, do they??? :)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Damn, you are old! :D:smile_gre:icon_smil

-ea6bflyr ;)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Initially the 45 is supposed to replace the T-2; AF studs don't fly it down here anyway (AF wings the Mudhen guys right after T-39s and sends them to Moody for IFF instead of doing the ATM flights in the T-2).

The most recent brief from the new senior AF liaison down here is that the AF studs will not be in the T-45 even if they replace the T-39s as well; Big Blue is apparently concerned about more instruction from INs as opposed to IPs and will be transitioning everyone over to a T-6/T-1 program when they get Randolph moved down here in 2010 (setting up a separate training group on the flightline instead of leaving AF studs in TW-6).

Is there talk of replacing the T-39's with T-45's? I would prefer to see another biz jet type replace it but I am not sure how much it would cost.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is there talk of replacing the T-39's with T-45's? I would prefer to see another biz jet type replace it but I am not sure how much it would cost.

As long as it's NOT the T-1! I still recall my 8 flights in the T-1 at VT-4: Bitchin Bob sez "Bank Angle, Bank Angle"...ho humm

-ea6bflyr ;)