• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

September 2014 IDC Board

chihon fung

I'm not in the Navy yet, I'm just a recent college graduate hoping to get lucky and get selected. I am super new to all this stuff....

No such thing as luck, either you have the stats/traits or you don't. The Navy is slowly becoming more difficult to get in, and I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to raise the bar like the Air Force does. Makes me wonder should I have taken the ROTC route. >_<

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
Soooo, let's change the subject. Question: What has been your favorite duty station or where would you like to take orders and why?

Rota, Spain. My first duty station. I have been fortunate to be able to revisit that country on several occasions since being stationed there. It is an awesome place, lots to see, and the culture is very relaxed. Plus, they are very generous with the amount of rum they put in drinks.:D

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
No such thing as luck, either you have the stats/traits or you don't. The Navy is slowly becoming more difficult to get in, and I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to raise the bar like the Air Force does. Makes me wonder should I have taken the ROTC route. >_<

I disagree with the luck statement. I have found that timing plays a big part in getting into OCS. The quality threshold seems to change a bit throughout the year. If you are "lucky", you could be a part of a board that has a high quota, and low number of applicants. But yes, you also either have the qualifying stats, or you don't.

chihon fung

Rota, Spain. My first duty station. I have been fortunate to be able to revisit that country on several occasions since being stationed there. It is an awesome place, lots to see, and the culture is very relaxed. Plus, they are very generous with the amount of rum they put in drinks.:D

Oh Rum sounds so good right now... I gave up drinking until my selection.

I disagree with the luck statement. I have found that timing plays a big part in getting into OCS. The quality threshold seems to change a bit throughout the year. If you are "lucky", you could be a part of a board that has a high quota, and low number of applicants. But yes, you also either have the qualifying stats, or you don't.

At that point I would still want the highest stats and take no chances. Overkill is always authorized >_>

IWhopeful

When I started as a Spanish linguist, we heard stories of Rota; but it was shut down for the linguists types right before I got in. IW is pretty straight forward on 1st tour duty stations You are pretty much guaranteed to go to one of the NIOC's: Ft. Gordon, Georgia, San Antonio, TX, Hawaii, or Ft. Meade, Maryland. San Antonio is a nice, affordable city, that I know well. Hawaii and San Antonio are my top picks, with the edge going to San Antonio. After that some other options open up. I am definitely curious about OCONUS opportunities outside of Hawaii.

ratherbesurfing

Career Recruiter
I've heard rumors of Spain that say the sangria is epic and so are the women. We have a permanent deployment site there and after five deployments I've managed to hit Iraq twice, Okinawa twice and Guam. Guam was by far my favorite. It's everything that's great about a westpac deployment only American.

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
I've heard rumors of Spain that say the sangria is epic and so are the women. We have a permanent deployment site there and after five deployments I've managed to hit Iraq twice, Okinawa twice and Guam. Guam was by far my favorite. It's everything that's great about a westpac deployment only American.

I'd have to completely disagree. I think Guam is garbage! Its fun for like a day or two but gets boring really quick ... Fun is more like Thailand or Peru ...

Edit: I guess I'm speaking more from a liberty port perspective and not a duty station.

ratherbesurfing

Career Recruiter
I'd have to completely disagree. I think Guam is garbage! Its fun for like a day or two but gets boring really quick ... Fun is more like Thailand or Peru ...

Edit: I guess I'm speaking more from a liberty port perspective and not a duty station.
It was fun for 6 months. Camp Covington wasn't bad. We could go out every night of the week and have a good time.

HM1

Still nothing in BOL/CMD View. That service advisory is no longer visible. As far as duty stations, Fort Riley cross branch assigment with the Army was pretty interesting.

Rickblaine22

I still have the service advisory. And I'm hoping the time difference is a factor. Someone (I think my CCC) told me that CMD BOL will turn red indicating there is a change looming/pending.