• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Self Defense stories

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Not a great way to keep an 870 ready without loading it. You might consider loading the mag tube and leaving the action open. That and or one of the plastic wedges that go BEHIND the trigger that can be pushed out with your trigger finger might be enough with a 2.5 yr old. At least for another year or so putting it up high would help.

As far as the handgun goes a mag fed weapon would be a good compromise. Keep the gun and mag close but mag not inserted. That might help for a while, again based on the age of the child.

I found a new shotgun that I wish I had when my kids were the the age yours is. It's a Saiga 12. Mag fed an ultra reliable so you could keep a mag loaded and insert it in the weapon quickly.

When your kids get older it's best to be sure guns hold no mystery to them at all. From the age of 8 and on mine were shooting age approprate weapons. They knew they weren't toys and knew as long as they didn't play with them they could shoot them at any time.

Huggy Bear

pilot
Couple suggestions from a guy in a similar situation:

2. Quick access lock box. I don't know that I'd trust it to keep thieves out in my absence, but for $50 at Academy I got a metal one gun box that has an electronic keypad requiring a 5 digit code to get in. You can calculate the number of permutations there, but I'm pretty sure it'd take my rugrats a looong time to randomly get in. Fits nicely by the bedside. I practiced a few times and can open it in the dark and have gun in hand in under 5 seconds. I'm told the thumb scanner ones are even faster, but a bunch more money.

That is the option I went with as well. My brother in law is a cop and does the same.

Kazimake

As a few have pointed out, I'd just load the magazine with nothing chambered. Still easy quick access, and there's no way in hell a 2-3 yearold could hold down the button at the front of the trigger guard to get a round chambered.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
OTOH, it's a pump shotgun. You don't have to keep one in the chamber at all times.

I think that may have to be the answer...I just worry when his friends come over/he gets older...Maybe a high wall mount and an empty chamber might do the trick...Thanks for the ideas...

And as for training the little ankle-biters, absolutely. My dad had me shooting at 7/8 and my son and daughter will probably be getting their Red Ryders at that age...
Pickle

red_ryder_ad.jpg

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
I grew up with guns all over the house. I was taught what they were for and the consequences if I touched them without asking. I also don't remember being denied access without supervision...ever. My father would take the weapon down/out...safe it...and then proceed to teach me something new about it. I shot and hunted with him as well.

I always thought the same drill would work for my son. He turned seven a few days ago and knows as much I did at the same age. I am comfortable with him and weapons and I truly feel he will continue to make the right decisions. That being said all my guns are locked up tight. I just can't bring myself to take the chance.

To battle the insecurity of slower access to defend my home, I practice getting them as quickly as possible. If an intruder breaks in and comes directly to my room (with alarm going off) I am F*****. I accept that the odds of that type of break in are far lower than the odds of my son making a seven year old decision to check out my guns unsupervised.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Picklesuit, you could always mount it high, such as just above a door, and still leave it loaded. I'm confided you will properly educate your kid, until then ya' gotta be creative.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
I think that may have to be the answer...I just worry when his friends come over/he gets older...Maybe a high wall mount and an empty chamber might do the trick...Thanks for the ideas...

And as for training the little ankle-biters, absolutely. My dad had me shooting at 7/8 and my son and daughter will probably be getting their Red Ryders at that age...
Pickle

red_ryder_ad.jpg

When he gets older teach him how to use it the right way and I'm sure he'll probably tell his friends that it's not safe to play with. I know when my uncle taught me at a young age that I had a high respect for firearms and refused to play around with them.

Well during the night you could just keep the shotgun close by and probably not even worry about your kids scrambling for it and you still have access. Move it during the day to somewhere safe.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I obviously think that everyone who carries should know what is legal and what is not, but that is a personal decision, not the governments.

I am just a RCH from your position. I chose not to have someone whose personal decision is not to learn the law and basic tactics to carrry a gun in the mall or park where my family is. I can not know if a guy has a gun and I can not know who has had the training so that I can tell my family whether or not to go there. So lets just make sure all the guys with legal permits know their stuff. A guy that does not know the law or basic tactics may be just as dangerous as a bad guy with a gun. So lets make him more effective. In this case it isn't about the government, it is about innocent citizens who would be killed by a guy that doesn't know the law and basic tactics or doesn't care about them. That is what criminals do, not law abiding citizens that are willing to take on the responsibility of gun ownership AND concealed carry. If it is must issue, I see no problem with it at all.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Get a handgun safe. Can be bolted down as well.

Ready in my hand in seconds.

CIMG0030.jpg

Fred

How about a dog and an alarm system? That’s all we’ve had since having kids. No way would I ever dream of having a loaded weapon in a house with kids.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
This sounds like "blame the victim". If you think someone parks too close to you and you need to say something about it, just say it. There's no need to argue. But there's also no need to constantly put up with other people's crap because they might shoot you.

It's called picking your battles.

I'd of chewed the shooter's ass out and then just left.

Chewing someone's ass out for parking too close? Sounds like a real "tough guy" comment.

And, saying your peace and driving away is no guarantee either. In the below incident, which happened in the county where I live, two guys, one of whom was a federal agent (with his 12 year old daughter in the car), exchanged obscene gestures while driving and were cutting each other off.

The federal agent pulled into a post office parking lot, presumably to mail some things, and the guy from above followed him. An argument ensued in the parking lot, and the guy pulled out a gun and shot the federal agent in the head.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/service...local/sfl-flbagent0807pnaug07,0,1685738.story

swerdna

None
Contributor
It's called picking your battles.

Chewing someone's ass out for parking too close? Sounds like a real "tough guy" comment.

And, saying your peace and driving away is no guarantee either. In the below incident, which happened in the county where I live, two guys, one of whom was a federal agent (with his 12 year old daughter in the car), exchanged obscene gestures while driving and were cutting each other off.

The federal agent pulled into a post office parking lot, presumably to mail some things, and the guy from above followed him. An argument ensued in the parking lot, and the guy pulled out a gun and shot the federal agent in the head.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/service...local/sfl-flbagent0807pnaug07,0,1685738.story

I think you took me out of context. I'm not talking about being a "tough guy" or any of that BS. I'm talking about walking around with your head down because you're afraid someone might shoot you. We could pull up many examples of someone being murdered because of road rage, but I'd say that the guy whose home was invaded (original point of the thread) chose his battle and won.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think you took me out of context. I'm not talking about being a "tough guy" or any of that BS. I'm talking about walking around with your head down because you're afraid someone might shoot you.
I don't think anyone here would suggest going around with your head down in any circumstance is being properly aware. But if I thought someone might shoot me and I could avoid it, I would. If dip shit with huge vehicle parking next to me is belligerent and I think possibly violent, I will just move on. What is the point of going toe to toe with a guy like that? I am not interested in teaching him a lesson, and I sure as hell don't need to confront him to boost my ego. Is it any different from crossing the street when walking down a dark side walk and a group of shady characters is hanging out in the shadows up ahead?