• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Self Defense stories

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I may be wrong but it looked like a long gun throwing a small fast moving round. Something like an AR etc. You'd have to be DAMN good to shoot a group that size with a pistol under serious stress and from what I've seen slow moving pistol rounds make more of a mess going thru auto glass.

One of our resident LEO's would probably have a very good guess as to what they were shooting.

I was going to say the same thing.

Also unless the gang bangers AR wasnt loaded I expect the homeowner would have to have something that looked menacing enough to scare off 4 armed thugs. If it were me I would probably just bust out the .45-70 Gov't and start slinging lead. "Don't get into a gun fight with buffalo hunters, because there ain't no such thing as cover."

An AR or an AK might be menacing enough to scare of the thugs, and it would explain the tight group.

AJB37

Yeah, but recording it to tape? That would make great evidence of something for the police.

Well that assumes that the gang member/drug dealer is actually intelligent. They could have bought a surveillance system that uses a hard drive to record rather than a tape and just not realized that it was actually recording. I just operate off the idea that most criminals are not going to be winning Noble Prizes anytime soon.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I was going to say the same thing.

Also unless the gang bangers AR wasnt loaded I expect the homeowner would have to have something that looked menacing enough to scare off 4 armed thugs. If it were me I would probably just bust out the .45-70 Gov't and start slinging lead. "Don't get into a gun fight with buffalo hunters, because there ain't no such thing as cover."

An AR or an AK might be menacing enough to scare of the thugs, and it would explain the tight group.

The other thing that matters is will. Are you willing to pull the trigger. Are you willing to do whatever it takes to win. You can see that in someone's eyes. Will and an AR or AK will take you a long way. Especially with the kind of thugs in this clip.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are you sure those 2 shots didn't come from inside the car?

Ave8tor

Bringing the Noise!™
pilot
Sure could have. That would explain the tight group.

I was thinking the same thing. That would also explain why the driver was able to get away. Judging from the shot location, it looks as though the driver would have taken those rounds in the chest.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
The article that Flash posted indicates those were the owner's rounds hitting the windshield.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Auto glass, especially laminated auto glass at an angle (windshield), can really change the trajectory of a projectile, even a high velocity rifle round.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Auto glass, especially laminated auto glass at an angle (windshield), can really change the trajectory of a projectile, even a high velocity rifle round.
That's why tanks have sloped fronts, IIRC. When you slope a surface, you've increased the effective thickness and thus it stops projectiles more effectively.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I still have my doubts about the whole 'home invasion' story. It is an awfully rapid response to what I would think is a pretty unusual 'home invasion'. And the details are awfully thin for the target.

It just smells funny to me, I am not sure what the LEO's here think.

AJB37

I still have my doubts about the whole 'home invasion' story. It is an awfully rapid response to what I would think is a pretty unusual 'home invasion'. And the details are awfully thin for the target.

It just smells funny to me, I am not sure what the LEO's here think.

That is what I'm saying. I think the whole situation is a bit off.