• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Self Defense stories

exhelodrvr

pilot
So this may come as a dumb question...I have a Remigton 870 Express 12 Ga. for home defense (I know, real original). My problem is that my son is now 2.5 and is able to get into anything, How do I stay in a defensible position when I have to leave a firearm unloaded? I sleep with a Ka-Bar under the mattress in easy reach...but that leads to the old knife in a gun fight problem.

One way to look at it - which is more likely to occur, someone breaking in and you needing the weapon, or your children getting ahold of it when they shouldn't.

I think the answer depends on where you live, what your children are like, where the weapon would be kept, etc.

ANother option would be locking them up in the morning and unlocking them when you get home.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
It just amazes me thinking about how much thought goes into this nowadays. When I was growing up, and I'm not even old, all of our long guns were put in the corner of our dining room, leaning against the wall. We had a .410, a few .22s, and a 12 gauge. My dad also owned a small .22 pistol. That doesn't even count the bb guns we had. None of them had locks, and we never shot each other!

Maybe it was/is just cultural, but Dad taught me to shoot when I was 3 and he taught me proper gun safety too. We weren't forbidden as kids to use the guns, even when no one else was around. I can remember using the .410 to shoot crows out of our backyard when I was 7 or 8 when Dad was at work. My dad gave me the .22 pistol as a birthday present when I was 10 and I used to carry that thing everywhere around our farm.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
One way to look at it - which is more likely to occur, someone breaking in and you needing the weapon, or your children getting ahold of it when they shouldn't.

I think the answer depends on where you live, what your children are like, where the weapon would be kept, etc.

ANother option would be locking them up in the morning and unlocking them when you get home.

Except I would like my wife to be able to get ahold of it if neccesary...that whole people breaking into your house while daddy is gone thing. I live in Jacksonville...lots of crime, lots of poor people without jobs and nothing to lose...at least the cops shoot one of them every 13 days here.
http://www.news4jax.com/news/18048510/detail.html

This town ain't safe, people who live here know that. I live in one of the safer neighborhoods in town. Guess what, cars still got broken into on my street over Christmas. As other people have posted, I would rather get shot accidentally by someone I know than on purpose by someone I don't.

But my post was to prevent exactly that...how to safely have a loaded weapon available for use...

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Ever have other people's kids in your home? Ever leave your kids home alone and risk the possibility they will let their friends in when they are not supposed to? Has nothing to do with being smarter than a 5th grader. Honestly, if I ever felt so unsafe in my own home to feel I needed to keep a loaded gun for protection, I would move.

Random break ins are extremely rare and I would never willingly live in an area they were a frequent occurrence.

ostrich_head_in_ground_full.jpg

exhelodrvr

pilot
But my post was to prevent exactly that...how to safely have a loaded weapon available for use...

You can't have an accessible loaded weapon and still have no risk to the kids. Sounds like one of those relatively-easy-to-open-safes is the best option if you feel that it is necessary to have the loaded weapon.

Kazimake

You can't have an accessible loaded weapon and still have no risk to the kids. Sounds like one of those relatively-easy-to-open-safes is the best option if you feel that it is necessary to have the loaded weapon.

You can if you train your kids. What is the difference between you and them as far as safety is concerned? You know more about guns and are more responisble? Then fix that. I've grown up with somewhere around 20 firearms in my house. My dad taught all of us how to shoot when we were about 4, started taking us on duck hunts when we were 8-ish, etc. Never had a gun safety issue in my family.

Bevo16

pilot
My home never had locked guns. We never had locked alcohol either. I managed to grow up without becoming a drunk or shooting myself or anyone else.

The issues with small kids that are to young to train is the same as electric plugs. You just have to "child proof" it. My 9mm is loaded next to my bed, and my 4 year old knows not to touch it. Even if he decided to get into it, he is not strong enough to chamber a round. It's child proof, and it does not need a fancy lock or box. When we have other kids over, we close the door to our bed-room. Kids play outside or in the kids room, or the playroom. No, I don't leave him alone. By the time he is old enough to leave alone, he will know how to use the gun so if someone breaks into the house, he can kill the MF.

FENIAN

Can I go home yet?
pilot
This may sound a bit ridiculous, (and it does to me now that I have read it) but I use a .50 AE Desert Eagle for home defense in the TiNi Gold Plating. I don't have children, but my wife is pretty tough and she can't even pull the slide back. You could have this thing out in the open and I would doubt that any child could even hold it, let alone rack it. In the event of an intruder, the sound of the slide going home should be enough for someone to soil themself. Even if you miss, the guy is deaf and all you have to worry about is patching a half inch hole in the wall...and the one behind that...and probably your neighbor's. You could use this safety fact as justification for purchasing a hand-cannon.

exhelodrvr

pilot
You can if you train your kids. What is the difference between you and them as far as safety is concerned? You know more about guns and are more responisble? Then fix that. I've grown up with somewhere around 20 firearms in my house. My dad taught all of us how to shoot when we were about 4, started taking us on duck hunts when we were 8-ish, etc. Never had a gun safety issue in my family.

So, you never did anything that you knew you weren't supposed to do? COngratulations!!