• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Running Shoes

gtg941f

pilot
I'm a die hard Asics fan. Despite that, I've always had slight knee pain while running until recently. Asics just came out with Gel Kinsei and despite being REALLY expensive they are absolutely incredible. I like them so much that I've actually purchased a second pair. Not many places have them but Dick's does for sure.

skidz

adrenaline junky
Didn't realize asics were so popular when I brought them up. I used them for wrestling and then just continued when I started running more often.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Would definitely stress getting someone who knows what they're talking about to look at your feet to find what exactly you need. And Asics aren't for everyone. I bought a pair about a year ago and within a couple months I had pretty bad shin splints. I went to a running store near school and given my foot and leg bone structure they said the Asics I had gotten were the worst decision ever. I ended up buying a pair of New Balances which I absolutely love and I ran a half marathon in them back in April.

badger16

None
I only run in asics. But I did a marathon with the 2110 that have a dura-max arch support b/c i'm a pronator and I got blisters all the F'in time...went with the gel- cumulus after and it's been like running on a cloud ever since...That said I would agree with everyone else here and go to a REAL running store where they know what they are talking about and try a bunch on and see what you like.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I swear by New Balance. They are pretty much the only shoes that are comfortable on my feet. That and they are inexpensive. But they are great shoes.

akdorsey

You got a problem with me?
I wear a pair of New Balance everyday. Their not no special shoe or anything their just comfortable to me. I'm not looking to spend a lot of money for running shoes because I have other stuff I need also but if I find some asics i'll jump on them.

WVUBetaHornet

Sweep the leg..
To agree with most people on this thread, Asics and Brooks are without a doubt great running shoes...I used to run with them way back when.

Now I'm using the Adidas Clima Cool Shoe; incredible...check those out if you get a chance. I've used them for about 4 years now...I have 3 pairs.

akdorsey

Alright i'll look into those. I'm trying to keep my budget under $70 if I can because i'll only be running 3-5 times a week.

WVUBetaHornet

Sweep the leg..
Well the Adidas will run you a little bit more than that...around 100 (probably cheaper depending on which stores you go to), but they will last you forever, and they're very practical to run in during any inclement weather...I told my buddy about them before he went to SF training. He took a pair and said they were amazing. They keep your feet dry while allowing them to breathe, giving you a much better run..they may cost a bit more, but you won't have to replace them anytime soon like you would a less expensive shoe.

akdorsey

I may just go out and get a top of the line running shoe to save some pain and maybe money depending on how good they are. I'll have to look and see what I find at the store and also online.

boobcheese

Its not about getting a specific brand or a "good" pair of running shoes. It's about getting the right pair of shoes for your feet, your running style, and the type of running you intend to do. Every major running shoe company makes a variety of styles for this very reason and you could probably find one that is a good fit for you in any of the brands mentioned above. When you go to a good running store after they analyze your foot and your gate they will likely recommend several different models of several different brands all of which fit your general running dynamics and will help minimize injuries and maximize performance. Its then just a matter of comfort and fit and to a lesser extent aesthetics. The point is, the only good way to find the right shoes for you is to work directly with someone who knows what there talking about and not to just buy a brand that comes highly recommended on airwarriors.com.

RAS

retired but still flying
None
Fit is more important than brand. For running get a running shoe, don't just buy what's on sale unless it's what you've been looking for. In the past I've worn Nike Air Max for running and now I wear New Balance 1007 cross-trainers. The NB 1007 would be okay for the PRT.

On another note, after damaging my left knee running I found that weight training helped my running by strengthening the muscles that support the knee. Don't run to the exclusion of other aerobic exercises. Bicycles may help build the muscles and are easier on your knees.

akdorsey

In 10th grade I was told that I torn a part of my ACL but I think it healed on its on and since then I think my knee muscles are weak so I may need to start to strengthen them. Anything else beside riding a bicycles or squats?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
After I had my ACL reconstructed 5 years ago something that helped me was simply going to the gym and doing all the machines they got in there (Nautilus circuit, for example) for my legs. Because I lost so much muscle after my accident and subsequent surgery it definitely took me a long time to build back those muscles (and even if you look at my left leg today it still is slightly smaller than my right) but it worked. Also, if feasible, talk to a physical therapist or athletic trainer as they will be able to show you specific things to do to strengthen specific muscles.

RAS

retired but still flying
None
There are lots of exercises besides bicycles and squats. "The Complete Guide to Navy SEAL Fitness"can be bought from Amazon and describes a number of good exercises there that require zero equipment. Start out slow, some of the exercises will kick your butt. http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guid...2236815?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1181845728&sr=8-1

I cheat and go to the gym so equipment availability is not an issue. I do squats, leg presses, extensions and curls to work my legs and I ride a stationary bike to work cardio. I'm way past prime and leg strength is still improving. Coulda, woulda, shoulda years ago, but it's never too late.