• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Running Shoes

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I don't go to the gym but maybe I should start.

Best part about the gym on base? It's free. I'm just an MWR NAF employee, but I use the crap out of the gym/pool. In the civilian world gyms are expensive. (though they usually have more hot women in them) :icon_wink

akdorsey

You got a problem with me?
Yeah their pretty expensive. The thing I hate about them and probably keeps me away is that in the weight section all the guys there are sooooo much bigger than me so I would have to take off a crap load of weight. Also I don't like to be judged so I don't wanna be there just bench pressing the bar with a little bit of weight, if any of that makes sense.

BigRed389

None
Yeah their pretty expensive. The thing I hate about them and probably keeps me away is that in the weight section all the guys there are sooooo much bigger than me so I would have to take off a crap load of weight. Also I don't like to be judged so I don't wanna be there just bench pressing the bar with a little bit of weight, if any of that makes sense.

Most colleges offer free/cheap gym facilities.

If you're just there for the cardio, you can just ogle the hot girls nearby...they never go near the weights and provide good diversions if there are no TVs around.

As for the lifts...get over the ego bullshit and just do it. Though it's probably better to go with somebody who knows what they're doing...and a spotter.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot

Suck it up. If you get in there and stick to it, you won't even have a reason to be self conscious anymore.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot

I had a pair of Kayano XIIs and they worked out fairly well for me. I had heard good things about the Trance 6, Brook's competitor to Asics shoe, so I ordered a pair about 2 weeks ago. I won't go back. The Trance series will be my new shoe of choice.

Plus they look cooler :icon_tong

BSI41204.jpg

RAS

retired but still flying
None
Best part about the gym on base? It's free. I'm just an MWR NAF employee, but I use the crap out of the gym/pool. In the civilian world gyms are expensive. (though they usually have more hot women in them) :icon_wink
There's a lot of fat women who really need to be in them too ;) Some of the hard bodies are real nice to look at though.

RAS

retired but still flying
None
Deal with it. Most of the serious lifters are more than willing to help. There are guys lifting who could give a shit about anybody but themselves, but you don't need to worry about them, they're self-absorbed. Everybody starts at some lower level of fitness and tries to improve. Once you're a regular at the gym and start putting faces to names you'll be fine. To steal a line from Nike, Just Do It.

Ace_Austin

pilot
Can anyone recommend a reputable shoe store in the P'Cola area that has folks who can help me get into the right shoes and insoles?

red1323

I went to a local running store about a week ago and asked the guy there for some advice/info about Asics vs brooks vs Adidas and asked to be measured. His advice was "they're really all the same" and then proceeded to "measure" my foot by helping me try on several pairs of shoes. I wound up buying another pair of Asics kayano which I could have gotten from Sports Authority with just as much customer service and paid about $20 less.

What should I expect when I have my foot measured? I was under the impression that most small running stores will actually measure your foot not only for length but width and arch and recommend a shoe. Is this asking too much?

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^ Some stores will actually watch you run (yes, right there in the store) and then make an assessment. I don't believe running shoes are all the same. As far as basic components, yes, but not orthotically (made up word) speaking.

BackOrdered

Contributor
^^ Some stores will actually watch you run (yes, right there in the store) and then make an assessment. I don't believe running shoes are all the same. As far as basic components, yes, but not orthotically (made up word) speaking.

You are right. I still swear by the 1122 New Balance Motion controlled (made for Flat footers) shoes based solely on the fit, feel, and the ridiculous amount of shock absorption (no pun intended). The Exchange has them for $79.99 vs. New Balances' online price of $119.99.

http://www.nbwebexpress.com/detail.asp?style=M1122MC&s1=Xchange&s2=Xchange&s3=M1122MC