• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Running Shoes

Delta

Marine OCS Applicant
I hate to resurrect an old thread but, Im looking to get good running shoes. Do i actually want "running shoes" or the "cross training shoes"? Will you do much off roading at OCS with go-fasters, or are you pretty much using boots at that point.

VIZKRIEG

KILL
The majority of running at OCS, based on the CO's brief before pick-up at OCC-195, is in boots. The running you will do in gofasters is mainly on trails and the like. Before my, spectacularly anticlimactic, NPQ from OCS, we did the first of a few three mile runs through the woods. Plenty of ups and downs, and tree roots, everything.

In short, my vote is Cross-training, you will want the support and ankle protection.

Delta

Marine OCS Applicant
The majority of running at OCS, based on the CO's brief before pick-up at OCC-195, is in boots. The running you will do in gofasters is mainly on trails and the like. Before my, spectacularly anticlimactic, NPQ from OCS, we did the first of a few three mile runs through the woods. Plenty of ups and downs, and tree roots, everything.

In short, my vote is Cross-training, you will want the support and ankle protection.

thanks

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
San Diego Running Institute

http://www.sdri.net/

These guys actually do all of the measurements, including measuring your arch. They have you stand on a mat that shows how you stand on your foot. They then recommend a pair of shoes and watch you run on a treadmill. I ended up with a pair of soft arch support Mizuno's that have served me quite well. They got me through OCS. Highly recommended.

Delta

Marine OCS Applicant
San Diego Running Institute

http://www.sdri.net/

These guys actually do all of the measurements, including measuring your arch. They have you stand on a mat that shows how you stand on your foot. They then recommend a pair of shoes and watch you run on a treadmill. I ended up with a pair of soft arch support Mizuno's that have served me quite well. They got me through OCS. Highly recommended.

Thanks, but im in the Ohio area... anyone know of a good place in NE Ohio, preferably Youngstown-Cleveland area. Maybe Western PA

BoaisyJon

Point of parliamentary procedure!
I hate to resurrect an old thread but, Im looking to get good running shoes. Do i actually want "running shoes" or the "cross training shoes"? Will you do much off roading at OCS with go-fasters, or are you pretty much using boots at that point.

IMO....you should get running shoes if your focus is on improving running.[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]http://www.achillesrunning.com/ [SIZE=-1] looks like the type of place to start in Ohio. Decent running stores are going to watch you run and some even video tape and analyze your stride on a treadmill. The brand doesn't matter so much as the right shoe for your foot and running style. I used to run in cross trainers, found that my knee hurt all the time, got into a running store, they picked my shoe, and *poof*..knee pain gone.

Cheers
[/SIZE]

thull

Saucony are my favorite. I've been running competitively for 14 years. It's amazing how much bs is involved with running shoes, most of the time the sales kids don't know what they're talking about or jack about running. just go to the store, use your thumb to feel for the thickest, best cushioning, try on a few pairs and go with what feels best. Like i said, my best results have been with saucony, but everyone has different feet/running style/ etc...

BoaisyJon

Point of parliamentary procedure!
Mizunos

Garth Algar: [wearing Reebok wardrobe] It's like people only do these things because they can get paid. And that's just really sad

Delta

Marine OCS Applicant
Thanks for the help guys. I found a store not too far from me. Went in and picked up the Asics Gel-Kayano 14 after he checked me out... They are amazing, i feel no pressure at all.

(now i just have to finish my ocs application for occ 200)

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's amazing how much bs is involved with running shoes, most of the time the sales kids don't know what they're talking about or jack about running.

Request you expand on what you're saying here. Are you referring to running stores or shoe stores (i.e., Footlocker, Champs, etc.)? I ask simply because I just got a call from Fleet Feet saying that my new trail runners are in:
http://www.brooksrunning.com/prod.php?p=41232&k=82296

docpup

What is another word for theaurus?
I always buy me running shoes for www.roadrunnersport.com They have a very specific website. Once you log in, you can create a profile based on your weight, foot / arch style, type of running surface, and distance per week, as well as goals for your running. They then select types of shoes based on your input. Their shipping is pretty quick.

If you are in the San Diego area, the store is located off the 53 (turn right instead of heading to La Jolla. They have a VIP club that allows you to buy in for a year. With your membership, you can buy the shoes, keep them for less than 90 days and return them for a re-stocking fee and get a new pair if they aren't working for you. They also will watch you run on a tread mill and assist you in picking the right shoe for your size, running type, and goals.

I wear Mizuno's. They are great for bigger buys (greater than 190).

Like I said, check out the web site, and I apologize for not knowing how to add a link.

thull

Request you expand on what you're saying here. Are you referring to running stores or shoe stores (i.e., Footlocker, Champs, etc.)? I ask simply because I just got a call from Fleet Feet saying that my new trail runners are in:
http://www.brooksrunning.com/prod.php?p=41232&k=82296

Those look pretty sleek...I'm talking mostly about running/sports shoe stores (not pure running stores, but the footlockers, Olympia sports, etc). The sales reps in these stores have never struck me as having a clue, even though it's their "job" to know. Even in running-only stores, it boils down to you trying on the shoe and deciding for yourself. That's why I've never ordered shoes online, unless you've tried the exact model before, it's a roll of the dice whether or not they'll feel right, etc..