• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Point Paper/Letter Re: Aviation Greens.

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
There are a couple of basics which apply to grant writing; I think thay may also apply to your letter--since you are asking for something. Compress as much as possible into as few words as possible, like when writing an abstract. Put your most significant points up front, including why readers should care about your point. The reason you put these points first is that you can only be assured of readers reading the beginning of something when they have a lot of other work to attend to. It's lagnaippe if they read the rest.

Good Luck--

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
HUH?? We don't speak Cajun ... :)

Diiiid sooomwone say Cay-shon? Hill-a-we Clin-tone has big mel-on!

cajunboy.jpg

Ok, end of threadjacking this one for me... seriously. And Phrog, thanks for the response. At the USNA 21st B-Day training thing, they said that tradition was no longer a Navy Core Value because too many people were using it as an excuse to drink to excess -- it was "tradition" to be a "drunken sailor." But, anyway, I can see the merits of having the USN/USMC have the same core values.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
At the USNA 21st B-Day training thing, they said that tradition was no longer a Navy Core Value because too many people were using it as an excuse to drink to excess -- it was "tradition" to be a "drunken sailor." But, anyway, I can see the merits of having the USN/USMC have the same core values.
Oh, for God's sake. Baby, meet bathwater . . .
GAAAH.gif

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I distinctly remember it being hammered in my head in boot camp that the Navy Core Values were Honor, Courage, and Commitment. Has this changed and I've just been unaware?

MasterBates

Agreed.

And if they don't ... you ALL need to drop your letters and get out. What good is an organization with tradition as one of it's cornerstones that dumps it's traditions ... ??? They ARE called "Aviation" Greens, you know ... :)

The mere fact that this is even an issue makes me weep for the future of Naval Aviation ....

11186240it0.jpg

When the Navy throws out tradition for PC or to "reinvent the wheel" it makes me scratch my head.

I put getting rid of Aviation Greens or "Wing like devices for EVERYONE" in the PC category, as a "all of you are special in your own way, but all the same" feel-good PC BS.

If I was CNO, there would be Wings (NA, NFO, AC, NAO, Parachute only), Tridents, Dolphins and that's about it. All this "bling" is making us look like the USAF.

When I go into PSD and see a PS3 with 2 "devices" and a shat-ton of ribbons (but none for "going places") I really scratch my head. 8 years in, and the only "device" I have is my Wings, which I had to work my ass off for, far more than doing a PQS. I have one medal I probably actually earned, one ribbon that proves and can shoot straight and 3 medals for just showing up to work.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I distinctly remember it being hammered in my head in boot camp that the Navy Core Values were Honor, Courage, and Commitment. Has this changed and I've just been unaware?

We're saying those were the change... apparently they were different at some point beforehand and involved "tradition" as a core value at one time -- this being what I wa told at the USNA 21st B-Day training. They made it seem like "tradition" was let go of because too many people used it as an excuse to drink to excess -- the "tradition" of a drunken sailor.

I did a VERY quick search on google and couldn't find anything too substantial to support this... Anyone know? Any of the older gentlemen know what the core values were in their time?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think it was called "Core Values" when tradition was one of them. I have a vague memory of some sort of laundry-list mission statement type crap before the CVs were rolled out.

As for the why of the change...sounds plausible. Stupid, reactionary, short-sighted, and excessively nannyish...so plausible.

vincentjus

I personally don't see a need for AWG, especially when used to distinguish oneself from other warfare specialties. The Pilot/NFO wings do that job effectively already. They also look a lot like the Marine Class A uniforms.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
I personally don't see a need for AWG, especially when used to distinguish oneself from other warfare specialties. The Pilot/NFO wings do that job effectively already. They also look a lot like the Marine Class A uniforms.

Personally, you don't rate them. At least not yet.

Pags

N/A
pilot

yeah, and a shoe's just a shoe...who cares what color it is, right?