• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Point Paper/Letter Re: Aviation Greens.

MasterBates

Thank you Hozer.

The Admin lady has it for ensuring the headers, addressees are correct, and it will probably be in to the XO this afternoon.

I am sending a copy of the article into Rotor Review. (think The Hook for Helos) Is there any bubba who is a Tailhook member that would submit it to The Hook on my behalf?

I'll look into seeing if I can get it into Naval Aviation News or other such pubs. Any more suggestions on either front?

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll gladly ship it off to Tailhook for you. I'm in transit back to the states (via a bunch of stops) so I won't be able to do it for about 2 weeks... But then I will gladly do it!

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Sent you email about NAN. Proceedings, too.
Navy Times? I know, I know, but press is press...

MasterBates

Just got an email from Proceedings:

We are in receipt of your submission, "Keeping the AWGs," which is being
considered for publication. We will assume that your submission has not
been previously published or being considered for publication elsewhere,
unless otherwise notified by you

I want to get this out in as many venues as possible. But I know just changing the article around a little bit is not going to cut it. Can someone else take the ball and run with it for The Hook?

I really don't have the time to do a complete rewrite at the moment. The ideas are there. Many of you have helped me with it. Perhaps someone can write about the subject from another point of view or style and send it to The Hook. Or Naval Aviation News.

Back to studying for my sim tonight..

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just got an email from Proceedings:
We are in receipt of your submission, "Keeping the AWGs," which is being
considered for publication. We will assume that your submission has not
been previously published or being considered for publication elsewhere,
unless otherwise notified by you

I want to get this out in as many venues as possible. But I know just changing the article around a little bit is not going to cut it. Can someone else take the ball and run with it for The Hook?

I really don't have the time to do a complete rewrite at the moment. The ideas are there. Many of you have helped me with it. Perhaps someone can write about the subject from another point of view or style and send it to The Hook. Or Naval Aviation News.

Back to studying for my sim tonight..

The best way to increase your probability of publication (Pp or P-sub-P) is to call the editors and be up front with them about who you have submitted the article to already. Editors hate "shotgunning" even though all you're trying to do is raise the issue. No editor wants to run the same article or photo (especially the cover) as a "competitor" in same venue, but if you talk to them and are willing to modify your story so it's compatible with their interests, you might be surprised at how willing they are to work with you. Run down of topical Naval Aviation centric or semi-centric magazines that might be interested:

Proceedings - as independent forum of US Naval Institute is always looking for people to sound off like this. They may suggest "Nobody Asked Me , but..."

Hook - magazine of Tailhook Association with new editor in place (former Naval Aviator) can always use interest to tie in a history of Aviation Greens (Hook is really good at researching vintage images to support articles). They may even team you with a aviation history buff and use your letter as a sidebar.

Foundation - magazine of National Museum of Naval Aviation Foundation located at Museum with access to AWG in their collection and archival images. Take a cross country to PCola and drop in to see the editor after making appointment.

Naval Aviation News - official magazine published out of Naval History Center with staff tied to OPNAV N78. They are located with official squadron archives and may want to do a hsitory piece. They have the Wilbur father-son artist team on tap (father did the famous NC-4 portrait with Read et al in the early pre WWII aviation greens with choker collar).

Wings of Gold - magazine of the Association of Naval Aviation (ANA) and editor is former Naval Aviation News editor and Naval Aviator (probably wore AWG) and is always loking for topical material.

Seapower - official magazine of Navy League; Managing Editor is former editor of Naval Aviation News and is who you should talk to first to see if they are interested. He also writes for several other publications.

Approach - official magazine of Naval Safety Center and has to be Naval Aviation Safety related so "No Chance, Paddles".

Don't forget Ward Carroll at Military.com who might take an interest. They have voracious appetite for topical content (might want to suggest a web survey or Podcast on topic).

MasterBates

Proceedings - Article Submitted

Hook - A4s is going to try to contact via phone

Rotor Review - In work

Foundation - Working on it.. Maybe tomorrow.

Naval Aviation News - Email sent

Wings of Gold - I can't find WOG online.. My Google-FU is failing me tonight.

Seapower - working on it

Approach - "No Chance, Paddles".

Ward Carroll at Military.com - Sent Ward an email. Hopefully he gets it.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
And after you bring back AWG's get started on Fair Tax, that will really piss off Brett! :D

MasterBates

Have articles into Proceedings, and Rotor Review.

Articles are in work for The Hook and Wings of Gold. Making the articles not clones of each other is harder than one thinks. I have been busy double pumping thru RIs now that I am in FAMs I may get some work done this week.

(Wx has been making this week a Cancel-ex every day)

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
I really hope the effort to save the AWGs is successful. I'm commissioning in May and thus winging (hopefully) in 2010 and really want the opportunity to wear greens. I'm also glad to see the SDKs coming back...speaking of SDKs, is there any word on the official approval coming through?