• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Point Paper/Letter Re: Aviation Greens.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
MB,

Do you know why AWG's aren't approved for off-base wear? I know they're technically a working uniform, but they're classy as hell. They'd look great out in town.

MasterBates

It's the whole "technically a working uniform" thing that keeps them from being legal in town.

I agree, a suit and tie, regardless of if it has ribbons or not SHOULD be OK for out in town, but I am not the CNO. Look at it this way, what's the difference between me wearing my AWGs sans ribbons and someone who has no ribbons wearing them as "Service Greens".

It may be hard for the current crop of MIDN/ENS's to understand, but I had NOTHING on my uniform when I was commissioned. Zip. Zero. Nada. ENS bars and a name tag. NOTHING.

My proposal to make them "Aviation Service Green" would solve that issue of "must have ribbons to wear in town".

Historical photos show them being worn with ribbons in the 1940s/1950s FWIW.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know they're technically a working uniform,
You answered your own question. This is also why some bureaucrat bean counter lumped them in to be replaced by the digi-smurf uniform.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Are you regularly confronted with the need to wear a service uniform out in town, especially one with a coat and tie? I've worn my Service As all of maybe 5 times, and the only time I wore them in town was to eat breakfast on my way to checking in to my unit. I appreciate the tradition thing, but honestly, aren't you guys wearing either flight suits or khakis most of the time?

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
I appreciate the tradition thing, but honestly, aren't you guys wearing either flight suits or khakis most of the time?

What about non-flying tours? When I've mentioned that I plan to buy some AWGs once I get wings (knock on wood), some people have raised the "when are you ever gonna need to wear something other than a flightsuit?" question and my response is generally, "You're not going to be in a flying status on every tour."

I especially like the idea of rocking the greens in some type of joint shore tour - the extent to which we embrace our history and traditions is one of my favorite things about the Naval services, and acting as an ambassador of that mindset (even in such a small way as wearing a traditional uniform) really appeals to me. And as others have said, it's also an aviation-specific uniform sure to annoy the shoes.

MasterBates

AWGs have and can be worn in lieu of Khakis. That's how I normally have seen them used. Duty, dog and pony shows, etc. It's not that guys are going to go out in town wit them on, but it would be nice if we could with 100% legality like with Khakis.

My opinion is that they are a sharp uniform for wear when a flight suit is maybe not appropriate. I wear mine to wingings mostly when it's cooler out.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
If Aviation Greens return to any semblance of their wear habits of the "ol' days" ... you're going to be wearing them early and often on ANY non-flying day as a better alternative to anything "blue", especially after the WX turns cold(er) ... it's more akin to an Aviation "uniform of the day" than something "new and different" ...

But not having the option of wearing the leather or nomex flying jackets in lieu of the green blouse .... ???

The horror .... THE HORROR ... !!! THE HUMANITY !!!

kurtzweepgq6.jpg
kurtzdie4wq0.jpg

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I especially like the idea of rocking the greens in some type of joint shore tour - the extent to which we embrace our history and traditions is one of my favorite things about the Naval services, and acting as an ambassador of that mindset (even in such a small way as wearing a traditional uniform) really appeals to me. And as others have said, it's also an aviation-specific uniform sure to annoy the shoes.

Definitely one of my favorite things about our service... MB - keep up the good fight - I keep looking around for the newest Proceedings around here, I keep finding ones that are last month's! Even the library didn't have it yet!

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here it is.

Ah ok, I didn't see that paragraph on the leather jacket. I was just looking at the description of the components of the AWG and it wasn't listed under optional items so I didn't know if it was kosher or not.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Definitely one of my favorite things about our service... MB - keep up the good fight - I keep looking around for the newest Proceedings around here, I keep finding ones that are last month's! Even the library didn't have it yet!

I've got a copy, swing by my office, (3009)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Just in the interests of equal opportunity and CommodoreMid, is there a female version with a skirt, or is it slacks, or what?

CommodoreMid

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just in the interests of equal opportunity and CommodoreMid, is there a female version with a skirt, or is it slacks, or what?

http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/508/unireg/chapter3/Officers/of_19_WK_Aviation.htm

There is a female version, but given what everyone's said about the difficulties of procuring the male variant, I'd imagine it would be next to impossible to get the female version. I've never seen it in person- I've only seen a few male flight surgeons wear it. The uniform regs on this one obviously haven't been updated in a really long time. I doubt there is a skirt for it as it's a working uniform, but I'm wondering about the cover. It looks like the males do the green combo cover (which I think is the way to go) but on this link it only shows a garrison cover option. Furthermore, the women are supposed to wear a green garrison cover, but if men were to wear the garrison with it instead of the combo, they are supposed to wear a khaki one. Maybe a standardization of regs is in order?

Anyways, when I get winged I'll attempt to procure the women's version in the name of preserving history, not to mention it sounds like a fun challenge in the first place. I'll be sure to let yall know if I'm successful too :)

CommodoreMid

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also, collar insignia is listed as an optional item with the AWGs. Do most people wear them or not? I think if I owned it I would to facilitate taking off the coat at my desk or something.