• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

O-4/DH Selection vs 2FOS

snake020

Contributor
HOD said that it won’t matter, detailer said it probably wouldn’t matter but recommended writing a letter to the board if I was worried about it. If I did write a letter, would it be perceived negatively by the board? As in, screw this guy, he wanted to get out, but now he wants to stay in?

Write a letter, but keep it concise.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HOD said that it won’t matter, detailer said it probably wouldn’t matter but recommended writing a letter to the board if I was worried about it. If I did write a letter, would it be perceived negatively by the board? As in, screw this guy, he wanted to get out, but now he wants to stay in?
Letters are not necessarily negative based on what I've been told by reporting seniors. I've never yet been involved with the board process myself, but the gist I get is that explaining unusual circumstances is fine, as long as you're brief and circumspect. Don't write stuff that could be perceived as a sob story, just the facts. You originally chose to resign, but reconsidered your choice post-FITREP due to evolving life circumstances.
Talk to someone who has actually sat on a promotion board if/when you write your letter.
?? Absolutely this.

If it were me and I had access to senior officers I trusted from different communities, I'd get an aviator and non-aviator opinion, because it seems that the different communities have different views on LTBs, but they all send people to sit the board. Give your briefer all the ammo you can to present your record in the best possible light.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't see a lot of downside to writing a letter. One way or another, they're going to understand that you were getting out, then changed your mind. The voting members may not see your FITREP, but the person who briefs your record will, and will more than likely bring it up. PERS is resorting to some fairly extreme measures to hold on to talent right now - particularly someone who was previously due course. This is almost certainly going to be addressed in the community briefs. A letter from your last RS telling the board they should retain/promote you will bolster your case, IMO.

As an aside, PERS is planning on doing the DH board next month, with the potential of doing the O4 board in June so they can get back on timeline.

Edit: I guess I should ask what your last FITREP was. If it was an MP, then you might be good, as a bunch of folks made it last year w/ MPs. If it's a P, then I would definitely write the letter.

OscarMyers

None
I was looking at my BOL advancement boards page today and noticed that I was evaluated below zone FY-21 O-4 and not selected (to be expected). But it got me wondering just how far below zone do they roll into the board. On the VAW Dec19 bubbas list I was about 12 down from being pulled up a YG and was wondering if getting a below zone look is a leading indicator to being pulled up. From what I understand they haven't released the zones for the FY-22 boards yet.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I was looking at my BOL advancement boards page today and noticed that I was evaluated below zone FY-21 O-4 and not selected (to be expected). But it got me wondering just how far below zone do they roll into the board. On the VAW Dec19 bubbas list I was about 12 down from being pulled up a YG and was wondering if getting a below zone look is a leading indicator to being pulled up. From what I understand they haven't released the zones for the FY-22 boards yet.
Historically you get an average of 2 BZ looks before your IZ look. BUT, it depends where you are in the bubbas list and what's going on with promotion zones. If you're near the top of your YG/cohort, it's common to have just one BZ look then get "sucked up" to IZ. Although, most people complaining of getting "sucked up" are actually just moving back into the standard timeline (screen for O-4 at YG+9).

The zones haven't been released for O4 (O5/O-6 came out). Suspected reason is a ton of folks are trying to rescind their retirement papers, so CNP has to re-wicker their projections before setting zones (i.e., it's likely fewer LTs will be in zone than previously forecast this year).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Tipper from PERS is that about half the FY23 SG is getting pulled up. Expecting high 90 percent selection rate for the FY22 board.

OscarMyers

None
Tipper from PERS is that about half the FY23 SG is getting pulled up. Expecting high 90 percent selection rate for the FY22 board.

Well that certainly changes my five year plan. Good to know. I would have thought the pandemic and airline furloughs would have had the opposite effect.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well that certainly changes my five year plan. Good to know. I would have thought the pandemic and airline furloughs would have had the opposite effect.
They didn’t bump anyone up last year, for the most part, so they’re catching up.