• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

O-4/DH Selection vs 2FOS

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Yes, any retirement from the military or VA disability will be used to pay back the sep pay.
I think that goes for Active Duty, too.

If I read the instruction correctly (a few years ago when they got me), the money is only required to be paid back if there’s a pension at the end, though. And as it turns out, VA disability payments also don’t actually get paid until the “indebtedness” is gone.
If you get a disability rating or a reserve retirement the involuntary separation pay is like an interest free loan. Still a good deal. In my case, my meager disability income will have paid off the after tax seps pay long before I will collect a reserve retirement.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you get a disability rating or a reserve retirement the involuntary separation pay is like an interest free loan. Still a good deal. In my case, my meager disability income will have paid off the after tax seps pay long before I will collect a reserve retirement.

Yes, I completely agree but I was just making sure folks were aware of it.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
No integrity issue whatsoever. If you were career designated (don’t know if that’s service specific terminology) and they decide not to promote you, they owe you severance. Period.
To be clear he meant like purposefully bombing the board - i.e. ensuring there's a gap in FITREPs, not submitting a picture, etc. in order to get the severance. So, I ensured my ducks were in a row, didn't ask for a bad FITREP, didn't tell the COC I was planning on or at least considering leaving, and we will see how the board plays out.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
To be clear he meant like purposefully bombing the board - i.e. ensuring there's a gap in FITREPs, not submitting a picture, etc. in order to get the severance. So, I ensured my ducks were in a row, didn't ask for a bad FITREP, didn't tell the COC I was planning on or at least considering leaving, and we will see how the board plays out.
Even then. They have the option to promote you. If they choose not to, the law dictates what happens.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
All - using NAVADMIN 265/18 and MILSPERSMAN 1070-020 and 1070-180 for my references, so tell me if I am wrong, but is there an age limit on how old the photo can be? I don't see one. I was appreciative, though surprised when I got an email from my detailer saying my record was missing one when I have one in OMPF that's 1 year and 4 months old in the same rank.

Last edited:

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Well for reference, I never got asked for a photo (the req went away, and supposedly came back again before my O-4 board). But I had already submitted an intent to resign to my detailer in order to get an extension to MSR. Somehow I still picked up O-4... Will put it on my last month in the Navy this Sep.. But never submitted a photo (and not getting severance as I put in my intention to resign, in order to extend at shore tour). Without looking at the refs, my understanding was you could use a photo from the day you put on LT (or LCDR, ETC). Often times it was recommended if your khakis were ready to go.... and you'd be less bald.

sickboy

pilot
All - using NAVADMIN 265/18 and MILSPERSMAN 1070-020 and 1070-180 for my references, so tell me if I am wrong, but is there an age limit on how old the photo can be? I don't see one. I was appreciative, though surprised when I got an email from my detailer saying my record was missing one when I have one in OMPF that's 1 year and 4 months old in the same rank.

Was this in reference to the O-4 or DH board? I didn't get that email, but my picture is 1+ years old too. 99% sure we have the same detailer.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
Somewhat topical question. The reason I’m appealing to the AW masses is because I’ve asked this of my detailer and my HOD and I’ve received conflicting guidance. Quick background: I am IZ for O4 this year and up until recently I was planning on getting out. My letter of resignation was approved, sep orders, the whole thing. Well now I’m in the process of canceling my res letter as a result of this damn pandemic and economic implosion. Originally I was planning on fos’ing for O4 because I was getting out, no harm no foul.

My most recent fitrep from the boat has a blurb to the effect of “Trait average is solely the result of pending separation.” Now that I’m staying in, I was curious if I needed to take additional action to explain this, or will the fact that my res letter and sep orders have been pulled by the time of the board suffice? Ordinarily I would have no concerns about making O4 (2 high water, high ranked ep’s from my first two tours, frs shore tour, masters degree, shooter) but I wasn’t sure if this was something I needed to be concerned with. Like I said, my HOD and detailer have given me conflicting advice so I figured I would turn to the experts here. ? thanks bros!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Somewhat topical question. The reason I’m appealing to the AW masses is because I’ve asked this of my detailer and my HOD and I’ve received conflicting guidance. Quick background: I am IZ for O4 this year and up until recently I was planning on getting out. My letter of resignation was approved, sep orders, the whole thing. Well now I’m in the process of canceling my res letter as a result of this damn pandemic and economic implosion. Originally I was planning on fos’ing for O4 because I was getting out, no harm no foul.

My most recent fitrep from the boat has a blurb to the effect of “Trait average is solely the result of pending separation.” Now that I’m staying in, I was curious if I needed to take additional action to explain this, or will the fact that my res letter and sep orders have been pulled by the time of the board suffice? Ordinarily I would have no concerns about making O4 (2 high water, high ranked ep’s from my first two tours, frs shore tour, masters degree, shooter) but I wasn’t sure if this was something I needed to be concerned with. Like I said, my HOD and detailer have given me conflicting advice so I figured I would turn to the experts here. ? thanks bros!
I would suggest that you consider writing a letter to the board - even better if you can the the RS from your last FITREP to write one for you to explain the situation. Out of curiosity, what are your detailer and HOD telling you?

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
I think you’re fine. Anecdotal evidence shows that the FITREP you get on the boat doesn’t matter... you crushed 3 and 7. That’s where it counts. Being at the boat in a valued job is all they are looking at.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
I would suggest that you consider writing a letter to the board - even better if you can the the RS from your last FITREP to write one for you to explain the situation. Out of curiosity, what are your detailer and HOD telling you?

HOD said that it won’t matter, detailer said it probably wouldn’t matter but recommended writing a letter to the board if I was worried about it. If I did write a letter, would it be perceived negatively by the board? As in, screw this guy, he wanted to get out, but now he wants to stay in?

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
I think you’re fine. Anecdotal evidence shows that the FITREP you get on the boat doesn’t matter... you crushed 3 and 7. That’s where it counts. Being at the boat in a valued job is all they are looking at.
Thanks man, hopefully the board sees it the same way. Hope -10 is going well for you...

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

Similar boat here with regards to pulling seps orders, but a year ahead (already LCDR Select).

I wouldn't highlight the whole thing with a LTB, but that's just me. If you have a strong record, let that stand for itself. The Block 42 comments from your boat FITREP won't be seen by the board (see your OSR/PSR), just that you're at the boat and a "thanks for reporting/lots of potential/gets lost finding Wardroom 3 P/MP" . You've got time to fix the boat paper going forward if you care.

Just ensure with Millington that your record is actually being seen. Not sure if they pull out people with approved Seps.