• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

O-4/DH Selection vs 2FOS

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
To say I was "surprised" about the number of single flying tour Helo LTs who made LCDR on the last board is putting it mildly. Now a lot will get beaucoup bonuses and maybe screen for OP or OP-T, which is just gonna be wild. Think 800ish total time, haven't flown in 6 years, going through the Cat Other syllabus or the FITU/HITU.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
To say I was "surprised" about the number of single flying tour Helo LTs who made LCDR on the last board is putting it mildly. Now a lot will get beaucoup bonuses and maybe screen for OP or OP-T, which is just gonna be wild. Think 800ish total time, haven't flown in 6 years, going through the Cat Other syllabus or the FITU/HITU.

I can't wait for them to be VT OPSOs said no one, ever.

OscarMyers

None
Isn't the whole reason of pulling Officers up a year to fill promotion numbers, or are they required to maintain a certain percentage of a SG as non-selects?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Tipper from PERS is that about half the FY23 SG is getting pulled up. Expecting high 90 percent selection rate for the FY22 board.

Isn't the whole reason of pulling Officers up a year to fill promotion numbers, or are they required to maintain a certain percentage of a SG as non-selects?
I believe that's a yes to both. My understanding, which is admittedly hearsay from a prior DH who formerly worked in Millington, is that they need to hit a certain selection percentage, so they'll pull a bunch of LTs up to hit that percentage and make more O-4's overall. Which sounds like a raw deal for those getting looked at early only to get passed over, who might've otherwise made it had they had their look on time (getting a better FITREP, a more competitive ground job, or something like that).
One of my buddies is now getting looked at this year instead of next, so instead of bringing a checkout highwater breakout EP to the board, it's gonna be a high MP.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
View attachment 30259

I believe that's a yes to both. My understanding, which is admittedly hearsay from a prior DH who formerly worked in Millington, is that they need to hit a certain selection percentage, so they'll pull a bunch of LTs up to hit that percentage and make more O-4's overall. Which sounds like a raw deal for those getting looked at early only to get passed over, who might've otherwise made it had they had their look on time (getting a better FITREP, a more competitive ground job, or something like that).
One of my buddies is now getting looked at this year instead of next, so instead of bringing a checkout highwater breakout EP to the board, it's gonna be a high MP.
Couple things...

They address in the precepts and community briefs that due to career timing, aviation officers may not reach their milestone high water FITREP by the time they're eligible for O4.

The 97% selection rate from last year's board means that people aren't getting passed over unless there are obvious issues in their record. In my own experience, for the past two O4 boards, a pack MP got you promoted. So, in most cases, getting pulled up means promoting a year early... more $$$, etc.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Couple things...

They address in the precepts and community briefs that due to career timing, aviation officers may not reach their milestone high water FITREP by the time they're eligible for O4.

The 97% selection rate from last year's board means that people aren't getting passed over unless there are obvious issues in their record. In my own experience, for the past two O4 boards, a pack MP got you promoted. So, in most cases, getting pulled up means promoting a year early... more $$$, etc.
This will still fuck over the LT’s that get pulled forward without the final FITREP in grade, as they’ll shift to O-4 Select peer group...small number of people on Shore Duty/Second Sea tour that it will truly impact, but if you have that star player who will be competing for ACSB and/or AMCSB/O-6, it may matter if they didn’t get their breakout as ANAV or Aide, etc.

Too many triple-EP records going up, and too many timed into that #1 EP DH tour, to not break into those discriminators.

It also cuts them a year of experience as a senior LT. I learned a LOT in that last year as a Shooter/TopCat/V-2 Divo I would have missed if I’d slid left a year and made DH early.

PERS still slapping bandaids and making up numbers to hide the acquisition and retention issues, at the cost of jamming people into roles they aren’t really qualified for.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
This will still fuck over the LT’s that get pulled forward without the final FITREP in grade, as they’ll shift to O-4 Select peer group...small number of people on Shore Duty/Second Sea tour that it will truly impact, but if you have that star player who will be competing for ACSB and/or AMCSB/O-6, it may matter if they didn’t get their breakout as ANAV or Aide, etc.
If you're in a community-managed billet and don't fuck it away, breakout doesn't matter.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
If you have an EP from your sea tour you'll be fine. I made O-4 after being on my shore tour for four months and getting a P.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think this will be an issue for most people. This isn't a new thing, and we haven't seen it hold people back. Making milestone is by far the more important hurdle, and block 41 verbiage will clue future board members in to why an individual may lack an EP on their shore tour.

PERS still slapping bandaids and making up numbers to hide the acquisition and retention issues
What else would you have PERS do? They have to make end strength as set by Congress. Nobody is hiding retention issues - this is all well understood. I mean, you seem to understand it, so who exactly are they hiding it from? :)