• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

O-4/DH Selection vs 2FOS

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Anyone know anyone who has done continuation? Seems like it was a big deal and well publicized for the Marines but a fairly not-talked-about topic in the Navy.
I know of one 1305 that did it.

They promoted next board after fixing their record and a couple flag recommendations, having done almost 2 years ADSW in a high vis joint billet.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Is making 0-4 really that difficult in the Navy?...

Serious question..

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Serious question..
There were boards about 5 years ago now where, if you do real math and not BUPERS fuzzy math, the actual select rate for a given YG was at best 50 percent. For aviators. Nucs, shoes, EOD and SEALs still picking up at like 90 percent, while the NAE is giving some multiple-EP players walking papers and promoting others. No ability to say why, because board confidentiality.

Everyone who was in to see that has been understandably gunshy since.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor

Serious question..

In my case, I had timing that forced my hand before I effectively got what was planned to be my highwater FITREP on my first tour. That has had the effect of making me an "untouchable" if there was a caste system in Naval Aviation. I got production orders because I had a great CO/XO and Wing Commodore who all tried to explain the situation to PERS-43 but, as you can imagine, memories fade and the detailer has told me to expect to not make O-4 or screen for DH no matter how well I perform(ed) at my second tour. I also belong to a community, that the last time it was briefed to me, that promotion rates for EP/EP players were the worst (maybe second worst?) in all of Naval Aviation, so I don't exactly have a sense of job security. I get that for the vast majority of people in my position (production orders), most will make O-4, but I'd say that in my community, only a little over half (I'd guess 5/7th) of people are getting some sort of production job to begin with - the other 2/7th are already non-players for O-4.

Why would anyone with wings take it?

In fairness, I was just curious, but let's say the economy tanks 2 years from now and now my opportunities I thought I had dry up. I'd consider it if they gave me desirable orders and had no other opportunity at the time. I'm sure you've seen in CNATRA probably half the Marines at the O-3 level (at least on the HT side) are on continuation because they told the detailer "give me flight orders or I don't accept continunation." In my case, I'd at least entertain a similar threat and follow through on it - no one is going to accept it if the orders on the other side are "unusually arduous sea duty."

Last edited:

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
There were boards about 5 years ago now where, if you do real math and not BUPERS fuzzy math, the actual select rate for a given YG was at best 50 percent. For aviators. Nucs, shoes, EOD and SEALs still picking up at like 90 percent, while the NAE is giving some multiple-EP players walking papers and promoting others. No ability to say why, because board confidentiality.

Everyone who was in to see that has been understandably gunshy since.
In my case, I had timing that forced my hand before I effectively got what was planned to be my highwater FITREP on my first tour. That has had the effect of making me an "untouchable" if there was a caste system in Naval Aviation. I got production orders because I had a great CO/XO and Wing Commodore who all tried to explain the situation to PERS-43 but, as you can imagine, memories fade and the detailer has told me to expect to not make O-4 or screen for DH no matter how well I perform(ed) at my second tour. I also belong to a community, that the last time it was briefed to me, that promotion rates for EP/EP players were the worst (maybe second worst?) in all of Naval Aviation, so I don't exactly have a sense of job security. I get that for the vast majority of people in my position (production orders), most will make O-4, but I'd say that in my community, only a little over half (I'd guess 5/7th) of people are getting some sort of production job to begin with - the other 2/7th are already non-players for O-4.

In fairness, I was just curious, but let's say the economy tanks 2 years from now and now my opportunities I thought I had dry up. I'd consider it if they gave me desirable orders and had no other opportunity at the time. I'm sure you've seen in CNATRA probably half the Marines at the O-3 level (at least on the HT side) are on continuation because they told the detailer "give me flight orders or I don't accept continunation." In my case, I'd at least entertain a similar threat and follow through on it - no one is going to accept it if the orders on the other side are "unusually arduous sea duty."

I only ask that because it seems that alot of Marines are intentionally punting 0-4 boards vice actively trying to get promoted. I.e. As long as you did the minimum required things (PME, Picture, PFT, Pistol) You’re more than likely going to make 0-4 as an Aviator in the Corps. As long as you didn’t have consistently poor fitreps (...which based on flight and ground job progression isn’t ridiculously hard). There are always a hand full of guys who get passed for unknown reasons but that number is usually pretty low.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
So, a quick clarification on the paying back severance pay if you retire from the reserves as a SELRES statement. The Navy will recoup your severance pay when retirement begins at age 60. They will withhold 40% of your gross retirement pay (pre-tax) monthly until the gross amount of your severance pay is repaid. The Navy doesn't charge you interest on the outstanding severance pay balance while waiting for you to retire. So, the amount you owe the Navy loses value overtime due to inflation and the yearly pay raises we all get that your final retirement check will be based off. If I did my math right, it will take about 5 years to repay my $80k severance if I retire as an O4 doing the minimum reserve commitments after 20 creditable years and we got 1% annual pay raises. If I make O5 that drops to about 4 years. Of course, if you do more than the minimum in the reserves, your retirement increases and that payback period drops accordingly.

My point of view if you go into the reserves after FOSx2, the Navy gives you a negative interest loan to repay about 30 years later to start your new life as a civilian. Not a bad deal...

I FOSx2 in 2017 and I am now a SELRES who will retire when the time is right. I did a LOT of research on this since I knew this was a path I would be going down. PM with questions.

Good math, but you're missing the opportunity cost of the extra year and a half you're giving to the Navy, most likely in some kind of non-trival sea duty. Instead, you could use some of your best working years to get ahead in your next job and play the long game. I've got nothing against someone who loves this job and legitimately wants to play for LCDR and DH, but falls short and the severance makes a nice cushion. Good for them, I hope things work out. It's quite another to cynically sell some years of your life for a payout. Maybe some of you are more mentally resistant to that kind of thing, but it would suck the life out of me. Obviously if the economy takes a 2010 style dip, sure, prospects might be better to stay in uniform versus unemployment, and none of us have a crystal ball.

BT

@DanMa1156 With regards to continuation, the Marines doing that are in quite an advantageous spot. They are generally on 6 year winging contracts, have TBS and some MATSG bullshit time to push them towards O-4 boards, and the Corps is hurting for O-3 Aviators to fill their CNATRA billets. So it's win/win for them and the monitor to stay in a flying billet for years. Short of VTJs, I can't think of a similar situation in the Navy. There's is a drout in 1xxx LT/LCDRs to fill staffs doing operational planning and make work from flag level staffs.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
So, a quick clarification on the paying back severance pay if you retire from the reserves as a SELRES statement. The Navy will recoup your severance pay when retirement begins at age 60. They will withhold 40% of your gross retirement pay (pre-tax) monthly until the gross amount of your severance pay is repaid. The Navy doesn't charge you interest on the outstanding severance pay balance while waiting for you to retire. So, the amount you owe the Navy loses value overtime due to inflation and the yearly pay raises we all get that your final retirement check will be based off. If I did my math right, it will take about 5 years to repay my $80k severance if I retire as an O4 doing the minimum reserve commitments after 20 creditable years and we got 1% annual pay raises. If I make O5 that drops to about 4 years. Of course, if you do more than the minimum in the reserves, your retirement increases and that payback period drops accordingly.

My point of view if you go into the reserves after FOSx2, the Navy gives you a negative interest loan to repay about 30 years later to start your new life as a civilian. Not a bad deal...

I FOSx2 in 2017 and I am now a SELRES who will retire when the time is right. I did a LOT of research on this since I knew this was a path I would be going down. PM with questions.
Also if you get a disability rating that gives a monthly check, that goes to paying off seps pay. The result is you don’t get the disability pay for a while but your retirement pay will be intact.

bluemarlin04

Good math, but you're missing the opportunity cost of the extra year and a half you're giving to the Navy, most likely in some kind of non-trival sea duty.

This was my reasoning for just leaving prior to it.

I didnt want to do 2 years in some trivial staff billets (I am an 1830) and be FITREP fodder for the hot runners.

Plus, I knew I wanted out and what if the small chance that I made O-4 happened?

BackOrdered

Contributor

Serious question..

Supply had the same issue with low promotion percentages to O-4 these last few years. The goal for any community is to make that flawless board package: no missing photo, no goofy FITREPs, those coveted soft and hard break outs, the right tours, letters where necessary, no air gaps or breaks in continuity, etc.

I think part of the challenge recently is the board members consist of O-6s and O-5s who never dealt with the 50 percent opportunity during their days as senior O-3s, thus each have their own take on what breaks you out. This made it very stressful trying to align all the stars to beat "the crunch" when senior mentors all have different takes on the O-4 board. One O-7 during a records review basically read me my rites and told me may career was over, a shock as she was a long trusted mentor who would never BS me. Another O-6 told me just the opposite not knowing me from Steve. Another O-6 again told me the end was nigh. Another O-7 looked at my record, saw one subspec and AQD combo he had an affinity for, and said don't worry. I'm convinced if it was in the 90s, they all would have ask why I was bothering them.

I wouldn't worry though as a lot of the communities are approaching strength and will be back to the 90% climate before long (ie: don't get a DUI, don't commit frat, don't get fired and your are golden).

Last edited:

Sailor_Dave_99

Even if you fail to select for CDR, which you most definitely will without a OP DH FITREP, the Navy needs mid level officer bodies and has a policy of keeping them via Continuation.

Is that really a definite result? I've heard to the contrary but potentially not from a reliable source. OP-T DH will not make CDR? Or are we talking just a decreased probability?