• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

November 2010 Board

Stalin

Hey Foot, from one Army guy to the next, good luck!

I second that, there seems to be a lot of us Army guys trying to be Navy pilots... Your GPA is outstanding and the medals you've earned speak a lot about your character. Maybe if you don't make it this go around you can retake the ASTB. There are certain sections that you can really boost up if you study the right things the right way. Good luck!

SpaceApe29

@Fattestfoot: Welcome to the blue side my friend! Salt water is easier to the nose than Afghani moon dust and sweaty testicles after not having a shower for 4 months and it sure beats 2 month field rotations to the training centers (NTC, JRTC, and JMRC Europe) and 24-hour movement to contacts like the Hohenfels rotation I just finished! I'm still on the active side in Germany as an 11B3P. Were you SF group support?

@EAS: See, we know a good deal when we see it. I'm sure more will follow now that WOFT is near impossible to get into.

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
Lots of Army guys around here. Thanks for the support.

SpaceApe, that's correct. I was in a battalion SF support slot for 6 years (entire enlistment minus basic/AIT). I did all my rotations in Iraq though (and one JRTC rotation, missed an NTC by having to clear prior to ETS'ing), so no idea about Afghanistan.

GoVols1998

bwh, I think you and I are one of the very, very few biochemistry majors that try to get into the military. I feel like the SNA board sees that major and just goes WTF, haha. Good luck.

SpaceApe29

It's better than Criminal Justice, they'll look at that and laugh. I am a highly trained monkey that has been taught basic reasoning skills...then given a gun.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
It's better than Criminal Justice, they'll look at that and laugh. I am a highly trained monkey that has been taught basic reasoning skills...then given a gun.

Yea you know not to bash the guys with psych degrees or elementary education degrees.. Or w/e other easy degrees there are.. I always said, having a Computer Science degree myself and going through all the math I did and having 30-40 hrs worth of hw a week and still pulling off a decent gpa, I can't see how they don't take in consideration your degree. It wouldn't be fair to match up a gpa of a technical degree with one of those I mentioned and pick the higher one if it came down to the "T" for a pilot slot.

So in my honest opinion I think the difficulty in your degree does play a role in competitiveness no matter what the regs say.

marmoset54

Final Select Supply Corps
Yea you know not to bash the guys with psych degrees or elementary education degrees.. Or w/e other easy degrees there are.. I always said, having a Computer Science degree myself and going through all the math I did and having 30-40 hrs worth of hw a week and still pulling off a decent gpa, I can't see how they don't take in consideration your degree. It wouldn't be fair to match up a gpa of a technical degree with one of those I mentioned and pick the higher one if it came down to the "T" for a pilot slot.

So in my honest opinion I think the difficulty in your degree does play a role in competitiveness no matter what the regs say.

:::eye roll:::

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
:::eye roll:::

Good thing it's a free country, I guess eye rolls count too..

But here we go.. But having a tough Major, spending lots of time studying, and getting a gpa above 3.0, shows a lot of dedication, maturity, and commitment.
That doesn't mean all the others do not hold those standards but heck man.. it takes a lot to get a science degree, hold a job, and have leadership roles at the same time. IDC about your eye role, as you don't care about my opinion but it's the truth. And you have to experience it. The people who usually get salty on this topic are the ones with the "less challenging Major."

There is no way in hell, a 3.8gpa in elementary education is a better credential than a 3.5 gpa in a science degree of any topic...

But anyhow I'm not trying to hijack this thread AND WILL SAY NOTHING MORE about this..

I'm sure there will be many who support this and many who do not.

Good luck everyone on November boards.. I'm still eagerly awaiting my October results :)

SpaceApe29

I know it's gonna bite me in the rear later, but math was one of the many things I didn't want to do while finishing my degree via satellite while on a mountain top in Afghanistan. I started as a Computer Engineering major but finished a Criminal Justice major as there was less analytical thinking and more subject matter closer to my current job as a grunt. Kinda hard to really study outside the wire.

Stalin

Honestly I think a 3.5 technical degree will look better than a 3.8 non-technical degree and all, but step back and look... it's a degree, which doesn't have too much to equate with military flying. People that have PPLs aren't looked at "way higher" than people without them, so I doubt a degree in aviation vs CJ will look way better. I think it's just a small portion of the "whole person concept."

bluesig1

sure thing
None
Just to throw this out there, and it may not matter much. But I know there is a pretty good spread on the types of degrees people have that are accepted into Naval aviation. I feel like I know more people without a technical degree than people who do have them. So if you have a criminal justice degree don't feel disheartened. Although I have not been able to put my criminal justice degree to any bit of use in the aviation field.:D

SpaceApe29

It (Criminal Justice) actually fits pretty well with the current way we're fight wars. I went from "closing, engaging, and destroying the enemy" to "investigate, mitigate, and cooperate" like a police force...I'll let you know if it works but so far all I've wanted to do on deployment is hold up a village at gunpoint and go "Let's play a game, it's called 'Who is your Daddy and what does he do' DO IT, DO IT NOW".

Lucy

The people who usually get salty on this topic are the ones with the "less challenging Major."

And people with science/math majors are generally the only ones who complain about it/bring it up....:-p

But hey, well all know it takes all types.

I'll let you know if it works but so far all I've wanted to do on deployment is hold up a village at gunpoint and go "Let's play a game, it's called 'Who is your Daddy and what does he do' DO IT, DO IT NOW".
Sure you don't want to be a marine, or did I miss that part? :-D

Good look everybody, deadline is soon.