• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

November 2010 Board

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
I have no idea why I was denied the first time. I asked my recruiter if he knew why and he said that the board wouldn't give him a straight answer as to why I wasn't picked. I just hope it goes better this time around.

Just an idea, have you considered getting a letter of recommendation from someone, other than a professor, who has known you for a long time? A family friend, a co-worker, anyone with military background/experience... I 'm not a board member, by any means, but I believe that a diversity of letters, spanning over a longer period, might look better. Right now, your professors can only attest to the past 2 years of your life.

GoVols1998

Tonkovich, almost every pro-rec I have seen has had at least some volunteer experience and a letter or two from a military officer. Hope that helps.

Flying Toaster

None
Excited to get this rolling and I'm trying pretty hard to get in for this board. Probably a little early in the process to be posting stats but just figured I'd get them out there.

21/M Non prior

SNA

ASTB:5/6/5 OAR:? (took two years ago w/o studying, so I'm thinking of taking it again shortly before submitting)

Daniel Webster College
3.44 (Marketing)
Graduating May 11'

Not much extracurricular stuff from school since I work as well, that being said my resume is pretty diverse with some real and relatively interesting jobs. Current employment is at a motorsport simulation company.

11.8 flight hours, all taildragger out of a little gravel strip

Nothing fancy on the LOR's but all people who have known me a long time, having lived in New England my entire life it's difficult to get anything military.

Friend and M.D.
My advisor, also the Dean
State Police Lt., next door neighbor for 15 years
Flight instructor
CEO at my current company

Hobbies/Activities:

Car racing, aviation, hockey, shooting (trap, long range), small boat sailing/building, skiing

I would definitely like to get that ASTB up a bit, but other than that I'm pretty happy with my packet. Good luck to everyone!

leigh321

Tonkovich, almost every pro-rec I have seen has had at least some volunteer experience and a letter or two from a military officer. Hope that helps.

...All three of my LORs were from professors (and I got a pro-rec). My recruiter never even mentioned getting a LOR from anyone else. I see that you're 20 (me too), an employer makes a lot of sense if you've been out of college for a little while or if you've had a steady job while in school. When I brought up getting an LOR from an officer my recruiter said that I should only do it if they really knew me. It's obvious when a candidate gets an rec from a high ranking officer solely for their rank, and the board laughs at that.

bluemarlin04

...All three of my LORs were from professors (and I got a pro-rec). My recruiter never even mentioned getting a LOR from anyone else. I see that you're 20 (me too), an employer makes a lot of sense if you've been out of college for a little while or if you've had a steady job while in school. When I brought up getting an LOR from an officer my recruiter said that I should only do it if they really knew me. It's obvious when a candidate gets an rec from a high ranking officer solely for their rank, and the board laughs at that.
The board does not laugh at LOR's from someone high ranking. Senior Officers don't just hand out LOR's to people. You need to be squared away and have someone vouching for you for them to even consider it.

eas7888

pilot
Contributor

That's why he said "almost." If you happen to know someone in the family or in a circle of friends who inspired you to become a naval officer, even if it's an enlisted member of the armed forces. It can't hurt to have a letter of recommendation from someone who knows you well. The only point that I was making with the letters of recommendation was that the professors have only known you for a short period of your life. I chose my academic advisor, only because I've been going to school now for the better part of a decade, and he's seen me grow and mature during that time. Long story short, consider getting a LOR from someone that's known you longer than two years.

Stalin

Long story short, diversity helps (except I don't think you can go wrong with a lot of high ranking officers)

Tonkovich.J

All of my professors who have written a recommendation for me have known me longer than 2 years, try more along the lines of 3 years. Also they know me a lot better than just a student in their classroom because I have done research and project work with them during the semesters and the summer. Don't get me wrong I would like to have a recommendation from a military officer however I do not know any. Plus I really don't think some 1 hour interview would make them really understand what kind of person I am.

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
All of my professors who have written a recommendation for me have known me longer than 2 years, try more along the lines of 3 years. Also they know me a lot better than just a student in their classroom because I have done research and project work with them during the semesters and the summer. Don't get me wrong I would like to have a recommendation from a military officer however I do not know any. Plus I really don't think some 1 hour interview would make them really understand what kind of person I am.

Oh to be young. Two or Three years, regardless. Is there someone who has known you for 5-10+ years who might write a letter of recommendation for you? Do you do any volunteer work in the community? A supervisor from there would be excellent. How about an employer? If you were involved in any sports, maybe a coach?

I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong. You may get a pro-rec with what you have. What I am saying is that a diversity of letters could really help you out. It's the approach I took and it paid off for me.

2 LORs from Army Captains. Both were my direct supervisors.
1 LOR from my academic advisor, who has also been my professor and flight instructor.
1 LOR from a coordinator at the United Way where I have done volunteer work.

Your letters can really help to show how diversified and involved you are. A way to back up the statements you put down on your application. Remember, you can put as many letters of recommendation as you feel will help you in your packet. And whoever said that a high ranking official's letter of recommendation won't help you, I'll call BS. If you can get a senator or congressman to write you a letter of recommendation, or an Admiral, go for it. They won't endorse just anyone. Anyway, it's your packet, build it as strong as you possibly can and best of luck to you.

bwh06b

FS SNA
Well, I got word from my OR that I am going to be on this board now. It won't be here soon enough. I've been working since April to get seen by the boards. He heard from the program manager in Tennessee today who did ensure him that I would be on the board for November, however. Evidently the October boards were way larger than they were expecting them to be.

Anyway, my stats are as follows:

m/23
Applying for: Pilot/NFO
B.S. Biochemistry, Abilene Christian University
GPA: 3.54

ASTB 7/7/8/61

LORs:

1 from a retired Navy Admiral
2 from retired Navy Captains
1 Congressman
1 retired State Representative
1 current State Representative
Former Employers
2 from lifelong family friends

So, hoping November will be the month. Best of luck to you all.

Wesley Purcell

Hello all! This is my first post on AW. I visited with my processor today and will have my application in the November board.

Male/ 22 located in Winston Salem, NC / Boone, NC
SNA/ NFO
ASTB 62/ 9/ 9/ 9
B.S. Professional Aeronautics, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University
GPA 3.82
Recommendations from Ret. Navy Captain (professor), a flight instructor and a preacher whom I've known my entire life.
Volunteer work with Appalachian Trail Conservancy/ Church/ Shrine Club
Commercial Single/ Multi engine airplane licenses with instruments. (365 hours and counting)

I guess the only thing left to do now is wait to hear something. From what I hear it will be sometime around Thanksgiving.

Also, I signed in through "The Facebook Platform" and cannot figure out how to change my username (would prefer it be more discrete). Does anyone know how to change it once you've signed up? Should I just create another account or is there an easy fix that I'm overlooking?

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
Just finished everything with my recruiter, so I should be in this board.

M/26/Prior Army E-5
SNA/NFO
ASTB: 50 6/6/6

Murray State University: BS Finance (3.92)
Central Texas College: AASc Computer Science (3.75)
3.84 Cumulative GPA

LOR’s:
Army O-6: Active Special Forces (former Battalion CDR)
Army O-4: Retired Special Forces (former Company CDR)
Army O-3: Active Chaplain
Head of Sales from current employer

Awards and Honors:
Army Commendation Medal (x2)
Army Achievement Medal
Army Good Conduct Medal (x2)
Dean’s List (3 Semesters BS, 4 Semesters AAS)
Beta Gamma Sigma - National Business Honor Society

Overall, my ASTB and lack of extracurricular's has me a bit concerned. I've worked part time through my degree and taken a very full course load (16-17 hours/semester, 12 hours summer) and haven't had time for much else. I also completed my Associate's while on active duty. I'm also not graduating until May 2011 (not that this should have an effect on recommendation). The rest of it I feel is incredibly strong. So we'll see if it's strong enough to bring the whole package up.