• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

November 2010 Board

Tonkovich.J

We may bring it up but it is because we worked hard for it. For all that effort put in we want that degree to really stand above other non-technical majors.

fjd24

Flight time is good time...
pilot
"LCDR Jim Tomaszeski
United States Navy
Right Wing

Lieutenant Commander Jim Tomaszeski is a native of Orange Park, Fla., and graduated from Coronado High School in 1997. He attended Florida State University where he graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Creative Writing in 2000. Jim then reported to Naval Air Station (NAS) Pensacola, Fla., for Officer Candidate School and was commissioned an Ensign in December 2000."

Quoted from the Blue Angels website...Nuff said...

Tonkovich.J

"LCDR Jim Tomaszeski
United States Navy
Right Wing

Lieutenant Commander Jim Tomaszeski is a native of Orange Park, Fla., and graduated from Coronado High School in 1997. He attended Florida State University where he graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Creative Writing in 2000. Jim then reported to Naval Air Station (NAS) Pensacola, Fla., for Officer Candidate School and was commissioned an Ensign in December 2000."

Quoted from the Blue Angels website...Nuff said...

I did not say that a technical degree will determine how well you do in flight school and in the fleet. All I am saying is with how competitive the selection process is, people with technical degrees feel it should be taken into consideration a little more. I did not mean to come off arrogant. I am just proud of my accomplishments in engineering and want to know that the effort I put forth will be worth it in the long run.

GoVols1998

I'm sorry for inadvertently getting this heated discussion started about degrees and what not. I was just pointing out that a biochemistry degree is probably an odd one for the board to see, especially for prospective pilots. Personally, I don't think the subject of the degree matters that much, as long as you did as well as you should have in it, like getting an above average gpa for a so called "easy" major, or maybe just average for a so called "hard" major. Anyways, if my waivers get approved this week, my package is all ready to go to the November board. Just have to keep my fingers crossed that the CO of my NRD has as much urgency on limited time frame as I do . Let's see some more package stats. I'm interested to see who all is going to be in this last SNA board for 5 months. Good luck!

Marine66

All- although degrees are nice to have, whether technical or not, don't overlook the power of LEADERSHIP skills. A handful of LOR's from senior ranking officials, politicians and the like are nice as well, but one of the things the boards look closely at is, "What have you done with subordinates lately" they want to see and know that as potential officers, you are all leaders or in some capacity at present, working towards that objective through the management of processes and the oversight of personnel (large groups or small). When you update your packages, don't overlook the simple stuff!

SpaceApe29

Marine is right, leadership is what an officer is first and foremost there for. You are applying for a commission from The President of the United States to lead units (sea, air,..land?) into combat so leadership ability hopefully has a huge hand in the application. Not only that but I personally believe that the officers should be the moral beacons of their assigned unit - so no nekkid drunken goat parties. Otherwise they'd have us NCO's running everything...wait...

Lucy

Oh boy...it's not even the first, have a feeling this month's postings are gonna be fun ones... :-D Glad I got so much to keep me busy! (suppose to have my intel and officer recruiter interviews this week though! and new job starts tomorrow...like I said busy!)

Anyone else got things left to finish before Friday?

SpaceApe29

Yeah, my S-2 won't re-open my security clearance case file for me to grab my SF-86. My last unit shredded the hard copy after my TS went through and got finalized. My recruiter is asking for the SF-86 but the S-2 is in the field and won't re-open it stating that the JPAS form is enough. I hate it when small paperwork holds up the greater process.

TheBirdy

pilot
Suppose to go to October boards, but just got word from my OR that I'll be reviewed for the November boards.

M/20/Non-prior

BDCP SNA

ASTB- 7/7/7 58

University of Florida Major: Economics, GPA: 2.85 (Damn being Pre-med initally..)
Graduated 8/356 at my medical magnet HS, GPA: 4.7

Awards:
Bright Future's Scholarship
Presidential Honor's Award
Volunteer Honor's Award
Top 10 Honor's

LOR's:
1 from Volunteer Coordinator at Cleveland Clinic Florida, 1 from Hindu temple board member, 1 from H.S. teacher who was in the USMC

Extracurriculars/Activities:
Indian Student Association member
Intramural flag football
Volunteered at Cleveland Clinic for 430+ Hrs./Head volunteer
Volunteered at my Hindu temple for 100+ Hrs.
Secretary of Math Team/Math Tutoring

Other:
No drug usage, DUI's, police record, etc.

Being pre-med my freshmen and sophomore year sucked. GPA will be 3.0+ after this semester. Going for the "whole person approach." If I don't get a pro-req, just going to wait till spring (will be within 1 year of graduation). Good luck to all.

james23

Suppose to go to October boards, but just got word from my OR that I'll be reviewed for the November boards.

M/20/Non-prior

BDCP SNA

ASTB- 7/7/7 58

University of Florida Major: Economics, GPA: 2.85 (Damn being Pre-med initally..)
Graduated 8/356 at my medical magnet HS, GPA: 4.7

Awards:
Bright Future's Scholarship
Presidential Honor's Award
Volunteer Honor's Award
Top 10 Honor's

LOR's:
1 from Volunteer Coordinator at Cleveland Clinic Florida, 1 from Hindu temple board member, 1 from H.S. teacher who was in the USMC

Extracurriculars/Activities:
Indian Student Association member
Intramural flag football
Volunteered at Cleveland Clinic for 430+ Hrs./Head volunteer
Volunteered at my Hindu temple for 100+ Hrs.
Secretary of Math Team/Math Tutoring

Other:
No drug usage, DUI's, police record, etc.

Being pre-med my freshmen and sophomore year sucked. GPA will be 3.0+ after this semester. Going for the "whole person approach." If I don't get a pro-req, just going to wait till spring (will be within 1 year of graduation). Good luck to all.

What? BDCP is a go now...? I am so confused, my OR confirmed with me that BDCP is closed... Hrmm.

Best,
James

TheBirdy

pilot
What? BDCP is a go now...? I am so confused, my OR confirmed with me that BDCP is closed... Hrmm.

Best,
James

No James, I did not get a confirmation that BDCP was a go for November. My recruiter said that my package will get reviewed for November IF BDCP is a go for November. Sorry for the misleading information.