• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No thumbdrive?!? How do I get any work done?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pure stupidity. This was the end result of NNWC policy that came out 18 months ago. Only a matter of time.

Not quite. From what we've been told, this policy is due to an incident on the high side so they've made it both low and high side policy. Part of the problem was a lack of scanning on devices when they were plugged in. Apparently the system was supposed to be doing that. Oops.

This is not stupid, it is actually quite serious. I have no idea what NNWC policy you are talking about but Gator is on the right track about it affecting several systems. And while you all primarily deal with NMCI, this is DoD-wide and is affecting everyone, so for once something IT is not NMCI's fault.

And while the policy might seem 'heavy-handed' and simplistic, it is the first and easiest step to start fixing the problem. It is a pain but you all should understand it is necessary, the fact that it is DoD-wide should give you a hint that this is a big problem and should not taken lightly.

Yes, really. I don't know what the pinheads at NMCI are saying. EDS isn't going to come out and charge me with a UCMJ offense. The Marine Corps office that does such things (MCNOSC? or something like that) came out with its edict a couple of days ago, specifically banning flash drives. CDs and the like were fine, except that only maybe 2 computers in our squadron have burners on them, and we only have 4 or 5 removable harddrives, and I'm not buying my own to do Marine Corps work.

There might be some confusion because there was larger guidance from DoD and subordinate commands sometimes expanded the prohibition. Following the guidance that is applicable to you and you can't go wrong, officially. It is interesting that there is differing guidance, I am prohibited from using anything removable.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Yeah, I recall sitting in the ships office with just a typewriter, OCR font and all!! NAVGRAMs anyone? Everything worked prior to email and internet... still does amazingly enough. Message and correspondence boards (ingoing/outgoing) being brought around for sign off by each dept...

You know, back in my HSL (LAMPS MK I) days . . . . . all the work was done on legal pads, the Ops yeoman typed the flight schedule on a typewriter and reproduction was conducted using this big, rotating drum thingy. Anywho, it created a LOT more time to go watch the topless dancers at the 76'er club at NASNI. Maybe the ban on flash drives isn't so bad afterall !!!

:icon_carn

BigRed389

None
Not that I've done it but I know that personal flash drives are used interchangeably between NIPR/SIPR.
Considering the amount of SECRET level stuff on SIPR share drives, and how easy it is to just plug a large flash drive in and suck out classified documents, I always wondered why we allowed it.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Not that I've done it but I know that personal flash drives are used interchangeably between NIPR/SIPR.
Considering the amount of SECRET level stuff on SIPR share drives, and how easy it is to just plug a large flash drive in and suck out classified documents, I always wondered why we allowed it.

That's not supposed to be allowed. Once the flash drive was introduced into the SIPR side of the net, it should from then on always be considered a secret level device and treated such.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor

Authorized or not (and I doubt the authorized part...), this was exactly the source of the problem in question - "crossing the streams" between multiple networks. The new policy is probably more draconian than necessary, but in the near term will nip the problem in the bud. If you have legitimate adverse mission impacts, there is a waiver process underway to help deal with it - higher echelons need to know about your situation, though. And it's not along the lines of "but it sucks that I now have to..."; they're looking for legitimate "I was relying on these things operationally..."

Clux4

Banned
Can't they just restrict/block the use of thumbdrives and other devices on SIPR computers? It seems to me that they affect more of the common user with the blanket policy as opposed to a smaller percentage that use classified computers.

phrogpilot73

Can't they just restrict/block the use of thumbdrives and other devices on SIPR computers? It seems to me that they affect more of the common user with the blanket policy as opposed to a smaller percentage that use classified computers.
I seem to remember a message came out about disabling USB ports on SIPR machines a while back (maybe '04/'05-ish). You see how well that worked out.

BigRed389

None
That's not supposed to be allowed. Once the flash drive was introduced into the SIPR side of the net, it should from then on always be considered a secret level device and treated such.

I meant on a hardware/command level.

With all the intrusive leadership the Navy expects to prevent sailors from getting DUIs to stubbing big toes, it seemed pretty wild that they didn't just remove all USB ports from computers in the first place.

We have plenty of safety regulations that make maintenance very inconvenient, but protection of SECRET level material was based solely on good faith.