• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No thumbdrive?!? How do I get any work done?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Yes, really. I don't know what the pinheads at NMCI are saying. EDS isn't going to come out and charge me with a UCMJ offense. The Marine Corps office that does such things (MCNOSC? or something like that) came out with its edict a couple of days ago, specifically banning flash drives. CDs and the like were fine, except that only maybe 2 computers in our squadron have burners on them, and we only have 4 or 5 removable harddrives, and I'm not buying my own to do Marine Corps work.

Fuck it. This is too confusing. I'd say take this as an excuse to do less work. :D

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
We had a virus (mostly just an annoying one, thankfully) rip through our network in Afghanistan. It started off on the 'entertainment shared drive' and eventually found its way everywhere. It's one of the little programs that creates an executable file that has a slightly misshapen folder for an icon. You don't pay attention, click on the .exe file that has the same name as the folder you want, the screen flickers, and the virus scans your system, replicating itself. Before long, every single computer had the damn thing on it, and it took months to clean, if they ever completely managed to. The man hours and frustration alone involved in trying to fix things were mind bottling. Eventually, all external RW media was banned, and if you wanted to put something on the shared drive, you had to take it to the 6, have them scan it, and then THEY uploaded it. Talk about a bunch of bitter people there...

On my old personal laptop, the stupid virus files took up over 12GB, thanks to my iTunes library, which creates a folder for each artist, album, etc. Serves me right for not paying more attention. The fix was relatively easy, however, but it took a few hours to get all of those little fuckers off my system. I can even imagine what one of the big networked drives lost in storage space to it, let alone the processing power used to run the program while it breeds.

While I think this move by the DoD is likely due to some much more malicious things, I think it's easy to see why/how people can move in the reactive, vice proactive, manner. Still, how frequently do hackers--hell, just Chinese ones alone--attack the DoD's network? I don't like it, and I'm not advocating returning to quite the paranoid mindset of the 50s. But I think I understand why.

Maybe it will mean a reduced reliance on powerpoint, and that can only be a good thing. The stupid program is just a crutch anyway, and far too many people use it as a substitute for knowing what the fuck they're talking about. Granted, in today's realm of video conferencing, etc., it can be difficult to get your point across without a good presentation. And while I acknowledge the utility of the program, I still think that people use it far too much/poorly.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Maybe it will mean a reduced reliance on powerpoint

Ahh, youth.
I recall saying the same thing in 1999. Now, primary students can't brief without it.

Anybody remember going to sea without a pc? I do and it was bliss.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ahh, youth.
I recall saying the same thing in 1999. Now, primary students can't brief without it.

Anybody remember going to sea without a pc? I do and it was bliss.
Yeah, I recall sitting in the ships office with just a typewriter, OCR font and all!! NAVGRAMs anyone? Everything worked prior to email and internet... still does amazingly enough. Message and correspondence boards (ingoing/outgoing) being brought around for sign off by each dept...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Pure stupidity. This was the end result of NNWC policy that came out 18 months ago. Only a matter of time.

Not quite. From what we've been told, this policy is due to an incident on the high side so they've made it both low and high side policy. Part of the problem was a lack of scanning on devices when they were plugged in. Apparently the system was supposed to be doing that. Oops.

Hozer said:
Now, primary students can't brief without it.

Really? Let's see, you're HSL, NFO, and VP. The trifecta of anality. I've heard about people like you...

Sucks to be SNFO, I guess. At North Field, you were lucky to grab a white board.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Ahh, youth.

Shit, I made it all the way through winging without using powerpoint to brief...I just had a little Mission Data card on my kneeboard printed on Cardstock. One half was mine, the other duplicate half my instructors. I wrote my maneuvers for the day, etc. and left him room to grade, all was well. Maybe there WAS something good about primary at Vance...:D

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Shit, I made it all the way through winging without using powerpoint to brief...I just had a little Mission Data card on my kneeboard printed on Cardstock. One half was mine, the other duplicate half my instructors. I wrote my maneuvers for the day, etc. and left him room to grade, all was well. Maybe there WAS something good about primary at Vance...:D

Just completed at 31, never used PPT for a brief.

Actually, the only studs I've seen using it were the most anal of AF types.

And one of them STILL got UAVs!!:eek::D

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just completed at 31, never used PPT for a brief.

Actually, the only studs I've seen using it were the most anal of AF types.

And one of them STILL got UAVs!!:eek::D

I don't approve of it at the squadron level, but at some point (Fallon, Red Flag, Etc), you're going to have to use PP for a mass brief. A properly set up network (like at Fallon) can alleviate many of these issues and the need to "air gap" with a thumb drive.

Brett

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They didn't ban CD-RWs. They can be written to over and over again.

May be a temporary band-aid fix.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
Why doesn't the Navy simply incorporate whatever the issue is into their anti-virus software and forget about the whole thumb drive prohibition? I know that expecting anyhting less than a swift knee-jerk reaction is indulging in pure fantasy, but come on.

Brett

I'd wager to bet that it's because anti-virus software simply cannot keep up with the dynamic evolution of virii and threats on the Internet. There's no way to know the future and there are always new, innovative threats coming out. It only takes one good one to severely cripple a network for a couple of days/weeks.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I'd wager to bet that it's because anti-virus software simply cannot keep up with the dynamic evolution of virii and threats on the Internet. There's no way to know the future and there are always new, innovative threats coming out. It only takes one good one to severely cripple a network for a couple of days/weeks.

"Virii" isn't a word, and it's probably because "viruses" aren't necessarily the only threat. It could be more the threat of easily transferable sensitive information.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Wait until you start your Level 4 syl or give a strike brief, that is where Powerpoint is going to become applicable.