• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No thumbdrive?!? How do I get any work done?

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
THIS or THIS might be part of the reason for the recent ban.

-ea6bflyr ;)

What ea6bflyer said.

I'm in the IT security business. People/companies I know do lots of business with the DOD, DISA and the Navy. There is a simple (simple, not cheap) software solution for the thumb drive worm issue and I'm sure it's being evaluated as we speak. It can be deployed very quickly. Maybe that will help.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The answer to the worm? The bird. Everyone knows the bird is the worm.

BigRed389

None
What about shipboard tactical systems that actually load up off of thumb drives? No shit, I actually have 2.

Same question to the ITs just got a lot of headscratching.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The answer to the worm? The bird. Everyone knows the bird is the worm.

And here I thought that The Bird is the Word....
29703_1215604296830_344_432.jpg

-ea6bflyr ;)

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
it was also quite possibly the most annoying episode of family guy. damn that episode

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Just got myself an external hard drive on "Black Friday." Actually my spousal unit finally did something useful and went to the store. $80 for 250GB. Problem solved, suckas! I'm like the crackhead back on the rock!

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
That's a shot of pure Smith-Corona goodness!

Technology helps productivity a lot, but sometimes I wonder if we are not all its slaves sometimes.

torpedo0126

i'll be honest...i didn't read the ENTIRE thread. but i could have sworn I read the official INST/NOTE and saw that your allowed to use the flash drive as long as its encrypted.

if thats the case, you can use TruCrypt. its a free program with plenty of instructions of how to use it online.

its an extra step but not a huge one in the grand scheme of things.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Encryption is not the problem; apparently there is a virus that is getting on to the system thru thumb drives.

The company I work for is currently following this policy too.