• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No thumbdrive?!? How do I get any work done?

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
Can't they just restrict/block the use of thumbdrives and other devices on SIPR computers?

The Army network we used in Afghanistan did this - disabled the USB ports on all SIPR computers. We needed them for legitimate operational reasons, went through the Army's "thumbdrive training" and appeal process 3x, never got access, and eventually discovered a software work-around.
The real problem, in my mind, is people who think it is OK to "cross the streams" with memory media, or the people who leave SIPR thumbdrives in their uniform pockets when they go to the laundry, and they turn up the next day at the bazaar.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I seem to remember a message came out about disabling USB ports on SIPR machines a while back (maybe '04/'05-ish). You see how well that worked out.

If NMCI is using the Federal Desktop Core Configuration (FDCC) and an DISA/NSA approved configuration of Active Directory then by Group Policy for Windows XP and Vista the USB's should be software disabled by Domain and Client Group Policies. If they are not it's only a matter of time until OMB jumps up and down on them.

Excuse the geek stuff.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Impressive computer geek words

Check out the big brain on Brad / Pugs!

brett-pulp-fiction.jpg

phrogpilot73

Crossing streams is never good. When I was at WTI, it was hard to try and avoid crossing streams. In order to get something from NIPR to SIPR, we would burn it to CD-R and finalize the disc. Now we could transfer it to the SIPR machine (the machines we used for briefing), and even then - some people lost their shit, thinking that I was crossing streams. OK, if I'm burning to CD-R, finalizing the disc and using it in a CD-ROM (no writing capability) explain to me how I'm crossing streams?

Thumbdrives/CD-RW/external HD provide the same capability, without the protections of preventing data from coming from SIPR to NIPR. For what it's worth, we had a Secret thumbdrive my last couple of deployments. The difference was that they were controlled as any classified media should be. The MAG CO lost his mind when he came in and saw that we had a Secret thumbdrive, until we showed him how we were controlling it (and preventing stream crossing).

Something tells me someone, somewhere is going to be able to figure it out. It's just a matter of time.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We, in the military, have dealt with a multitude of constraints before. While I'm sure it won't be easy at first, we will be able to adapt and overcome. While it may be a draconian response, there is a valid reason for the change. Now quit your bitchin' and press on.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If NMCI is using the Federal Desktop Core Configuration (FDCC) and an DISA/NSA approved configuration of Active Directory then by Group Policy for Windows XP and Vista the USB's should be software disabled by Domain and Client Group Policies. If they are not it's only a matter of time until OMB jumps up and down on them.

Excuse the geek stuff.

I've heard that USB ports were supposed to be disabled for years now. Most of the time, I find computers where they work, but every so often, I find some machines where they don't. I think it's just a matter of actually following the policy rather than just quoting it. No doubt more to follow.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I meant on a hardware/command level.

With all the intrusive leadership the Navy expects to prevent sailors from getting DUIs to stubbing big toes, it seemed pretty wild that they didn't just remove all USB ports from computers in the first place.

We have plenty of safety regulations that make maintenance very inconvenient, but protection of SECRET level material was based solely on good faith.
I think everyone is looking at this from the wrong perspective. No one has said this is an issue on NAVY computers. Sure, the memo everyone here saw came from big Navy, but that's because the Navy was ordered to issue such an order. This is DoD wide. I have no idea what computers are infected, but its possible that it's not a single Navy one (though I doubt that.)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've heard that USB ports were supposed to be disabled for years now. Most of the time, I find computers where they work, but every so often, I find some machines where they don't. I think it's just a matter of actually following the policy rather than just quoting it. No doubt more to follow.

Problem is that we use our USB ports for printing, especially on the SIPR side. Thank goodness for stand-alone machines. :D

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Problem is that we use our USB ports for printing, especially on the SIPR side. Thank goodness for stand-alone machines. :D

Brett

I'm with ya. I'm not saying it's not a problematic policy, just what I've always heard. It's especially an issue now since motherboards don't ship with parallel ports for printers.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Two words: Network Printer.

Of course that makes sense, which is why it's doubly not going to happen, since NMCI and the military are involved . . .

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Two words: Network Printer.

Of course that makes sense, which is why it's doubly not going to happen, since NMCI and the military are involved . . .

Kind of challenging on a stand alone, eh? ;)

Brett

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
You know, back in my HSL (LAMPS MK I) days . . . . . all the work was done on legal pads, the Ops yeoman typed the flight schedule on a typewriter and reproduction was conducted using this big, rotating drum thingy...

Mimeograph!

Lawman

None
One piece of good that came out of this whole thumbdrive fiasco. I got to watch our class historian have a near mental breakdown because he couldnt finish the slide show and convinced the TAC Officers to let me get my laptop out of lockup a week early.