• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No thumbdrive?!? How do I get any work done?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The rule was put in place because they figured out that is how it was spread, simple as that. As for the confusion on what the rule actually is, I think it is an excellent example of how DoD's IT infrastructure and practices are too Balkanized and dysfunctional. Then again, that may be a good thing. Clear as mud?

I got a couple of PMs after my last post. Folks, you misunderstand my post. It wasn't meant as a means to ask what's going on, it was meant as an observation on how much the policy has become rumor more than fact and how little people understand the overall system. One example was someone mentioning how "soon all the ports will be turned off." As was noted here, that's impractical since all the keyboards and mice are USB now.

That's all. Please don't report me to the local NCIS office, or worse, the local Mod squad, for soliciting information that doesn't need to be discussed in detail here.

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
Unrelated topic: noticed yesterday for the first time that NMCI/SkyNet is now blocking Airwarriors. WTF, over?

Do they know what they actually block? I love it when I pull up the US AHAS website and its blocked by NMCI randomly. Or for that matter when NOAA's aviation weather is randomly blocked...

Clux4

Banned
This whole thumbdrive thing is getting ridiculous. No one seems to know the actual story on it. I was sitting in a joint briefing today (all five services plus some other alphabet soups) and at the end, this topic came up. No one had the same story as to why it the rule was put in place or what the actual rule was (thumbdrive vs USB HD vs USB at all vs etc). Kind of comical to hear when it was SO VITALLY IMPORTANT that everyone follow the directive.

Have we started causing our own friction?! :(

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Do they know what they actually block? I love it when I pull up the US AHAS website and its blocked by NMCI randomly. Or for that matter when NOAA's aviation weather is randomly blocked...

It's the nature of using firewalls incorrectly. We have one here that has over 4000 rule sets. Why they think they can manage that I don't know.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
So why are thumbdrives, personal or government, so bad? Is it the fact that they're so easy to go from computer to computer or is it something about flash-based memory? USB hard drives, at least government ones, are still legal. SanDisks are illegal now, too, but very few people use them, so it's not as if people are running from computer to computer with SDs.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
I was told by a maintainer that an officer in his squadron went to town while on det over seas and bought a thumb drive. He used it on the A/C and it uploaded a virus to the network. Before they could get all the hard drives fixed someone pulled one of the hard drives out for another A/C and the virus now infected two A/C. I know that the A/C uses no antivirus hardware so it is easy to upload a virus on said unprotected network.

This incident might be what started the whole thing, I don't know since I got the info second hand.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
So why are thumbdrives, personal or government, so bad? Is it the fact that they're so easy to go from computer to computer or is it something about flash-based memory? USB hard drives, at least government ones, are still legal. SanDisks are illegal now, too, but very few people use them, so it's not as if people are running from computer to computer with SDs.

Most thumbdrives, and some USB external hard drives utilitze builtin autoplay features. The problem with this it that it immediately opens the drive when it is inserted into a computer. This allows any infections that are on the drive to be transmitted to the computer and likewise to the network.

The result of this is that as people surf the internet on their home computers and are infected with viruses they then transfer these viruses to government networks through thumbdrives. With the number of small networks or off network computers the problem of keeping DOD networks free from infection are complicated exponentially with teh use of thumbdrives. The only way to guarentee network security is to sanitize every computer at the same time and limit future infection possibilities.

Case in point, on my recent deployment our squadron encountered serious virus attacks which resulted in having to reformat and reimage all of the flight planning computers. This resulted in both loss of data and a time commitment of several hours of work for each computer. A short time later the command required virus scans for ALL thumbdrives and found some drives infected with literally hundreds of viruses.

Not saying its right or that there isn't a better way, just an observation...

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's all. Please don't report me to the local NCIS office, or worse, the local Mod squad, for soliciting information that doesn't need to be discussed in detail here.
No, we have our eye on you...

hscs

pilot
Above mentioned 'autoplay' features also allow data to be transmitted to parts unknown.....another problem