• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Next Board ~ April 2011

Pilot Paul

Pro Rec SNA
Bummer. But thank you very much for your responses....guess we should all just keep twiddling our thumbs while improving ourselves till Sept.

VNE

Nah, my days with the AF are done. Crossing my fingers for the Navy.. I've heard of civilians going straight to guard units for the F-16. Not particularly the Phoenix ANG but it is possible. Maybe you should apply to all the ANG F-16 bases you can and see who picks you up. It's very very very competitive to get in though. They usually narrow it down to about 10 applicants and interview you guys for 1 to 2 open slots.. Your best bet is to include Active Duty AF as well, I know it's not a guaranteed air frame, but it's a start.

(rant/)

Yup. I'm well aware of the competition for Viper units. I have been rushing units for about a year now. If you're not a prior E, don't have stellar everything in your package, not family friends with the SQ/CC or are not the governor's son...then you have no business applying. I should play the lottery and buy my own jet...simply because that would be more likely than getting sponsored by an AFR/ANG unit nowadays. I have run into 5-6 of these fighter unit SQ/CC's who have all said something like, "Jeez, if I was applying to commission with today's competition, I wouldn't stand a chance." AF AD is an exceptionally POOR bet. On a GOOD year now, they will commission about 5-7% percent of those who apply for rated positions (pilot, nav, UAV's, and ABM)....and that number is dwindling everyday. When I applied for Pilot last year, 30/~720 got it. Why you may ask? Because there are many weak-bellied, civilian pukes who are looking for nothing more than a free ride on the government's dime to take care of them while they ride out the poor economy. They figure since the AF is the "cushiest" of the branches, that they would fit right in (not pointed at you Eagle.) Fortunately, the Navy and Marines have the talent to seperate the weaklings from those who truly want to serve...and that's what I am banking on.

(rant\)

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
...sssoooo now no SNA boards until September? Just got word of it from my OR...So now I guess the earliest we can go to school is November?.....Bummer....but not giving up.

And this may be the wrong place to ask but does anyone know if you can get SNA guarantees by doing NROTC during graduate school? Or if the USMC OCC is facing similat cutbacks?

Good luck to everyone!

Yea that's what half the thread is about man.. There is possibility of it in May if you cared to read.. YOUR recruiter is just another statistic. Yours says, September, mine says sometime after October, someone else's said there was gonna be one in December 2010, another's says it's locked up possibly until January 2012.. Another's said the Navy was going out of business and joining the AF.. Someone else's said they like bananas that aren't too riped.. None of them really know :) Btw, I tried NROTC for graduate school they don't offer it. The Air Force does, so you can always talk to them..

They figure since the AF is the "cushiest" of the branches, that they would fit right in (not pointed at you Eagle.) Fortunately, the Navy and Marines have the talent to seperate the weaklings from those who truly want to serve...and that's what I am banking on.

That's exactly why I'm going with the Navy.. You can at some point say the same though for the Navy, I don't care if people get lucky and get in even though they're just rolling the dice, just as long as they don't rub me out..

GreenLantern330

Yea that's what half the thread is about man.. There is possibility of it in May if you cared to read.. YOUR recruiter is just another statistic. Yours says, September, mine says sometime after October, someone else's said there was gonna be one in December 2010, another's says it's locked up possibly until January 2012.. Another's said the Navy was going out of business and joining the AF.. Someone else's said they like bananas that aren't too riped.. None of them really know :) Btw, I tried NROTC for graduate school they don't offer it. The Air Force does, so you can always talk to them..

That's exactly why I'm going with the Navy.. You can at some point say the same though for the Navy, I don't care if people get lucky and get in even though they're just rolling the dice, just as long as they don't rub me out..

My OR prefers apples.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Well, I don't think the CR is the sole reason for this. In general, it seems like the Navy is just trying to get smaller (as well as other branches of the military). When the Navy tries to get smaller, there is a squeeze for jobs and we are at the very bottom of the food chain.

We'll see. I'm still holding out hope for April or May.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Well, I don't think the CR is the sole reason for this. In general, it seems like the Navy is just trying to get smaller (as well as other branches of the military). When the Navy tries to get smaller, there is a squeeze for jobs and we are at the very bottom of the food chain.

We'll see. I'm still holding out hope for April or May.

It's not that they're trying to get smaller per say, it's that they are basically over flowing and ripping at the seems. The AF has been dealing with this since I had gotten out in 2005. So here is basically their motive: with the poor economy and everyone and their brother trying to get in for stable income, they can actually be selective for the last couple years. What they are trying to do is counter this by getting rid of their own people and limiting the new. For their own people, they are forcing people out who have high disciplinary actions against them, like article 15's or poor academics. They are forcing people out of over-manned jobs by not letting them re-enlist into it, or giving them an option to volunteer early out of their contract to separate. This goes for officers too. They're also making high ranking/high income officer retire early.

Through all of this, they are trying to maintain people that have a lot of experience and are younger and in demand. But, every year people still decide to get out and people (officer/enlisted) retire. So every year they still need recruit officers and enlisted...

So someone must have messed of Majorly on the numbers for them to close the board for a year. Which leads me to believe it is just talk. But you never know. Like I said, the AF has been going through this for over 6 yrs, and they still hold a board every year, and are even holding some this year as well. I could be wrong, so correct me if I am, but I don't even think the AF has shut down it's boards for a year. I know they've cancelled a few like any other..

LSJU

"I don't want to get anyone excited or anything.. But here is what's going on at NAVYOCS.. Posted by someone:

"UPDATE:

This morning I got word from CNRC that there will be boards held in MAY for Pilot, NFO, and the IDC boards."

For the jargon-impaired, what is NAVYDOCS? What is IDC? And what is the difference between a Pilot and NFO?

TheBirdy

pilot
"I don't want to get anyone excited or anything.. But here is what's going on at NAVYOCS.. Posted by someone:

"UPDATE:

This morning I got word from CNRC that there will be boards held in MAY for Pilot, NFO, and the IDC boards."

For the jargon-impaired, what is NAVYDOCS? What is IDC? And what is the difference between a Pilot and NFO?

Google...it's your best friend :) That being said, NAVYDOCS are Navy Documents, but I think you meant NAVY OCS (judging by the quote). Navy OCS is Navy Officer Candidate School. If you're on AW and planning to apply as an officer, I'd hope you'd already know what OCS is.

IDC is Independent Duty Corpsman. A pilot is well..a pilot (called Naval Aviators in the Navy/USMC/USCG). A NFO, is a Naval Flight Officer. They usually sit behind the pilot and are sometimes referred to as RIOs (radar intercept officer as in the F-14) or a WSO (weapons system officer as in the F-18F and EA-6B).

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
IDC is Independent Duty Corpsman. A pilot is well..a pilot (called Naval Aviators in the Navy/USMC/USCG). A NFO, is a Naval Flight Officer. They usually sit behind the pilot and are sometimes referred to as RIOs (radar intercept officer as in the F-14) or a WSO (weapons system officer as in the F-18F and EA-6B).

Yes Google can be your friend if you know what to look for....

However since Independent Duty Corpsman are enlisted, I don't think anyone will be going through OCS to become one. An Independent Duty Corpsmen, for those who may not know, is basically the Navy's version of a Physician's Assistant qualification.

The IDC, I think the poster was referring to was the Information Dominance Corps which is the community of Intel, Cyber Warfare, Meteorology, and Information Professionals. Since they have a lot of officer positions, I think the OCS selection for IDC is for Info Dominance not Independent Duty Corpsmen.

TheBirdy

pilot
Yes Google can be your friend if you know what to look for....

However since Independent Duty Corpsman are enlisted, I don't think anyone will be going through OCS to become one. An Independent Duty Corpsmen, for those who may not know, is basically the Navy's version of a Physician's Assistant qualification.

The IDC, I think the poster was referring to was the Information Dominance Corps which is the community of Intel, Cyber Warfare, Meteorology, and Information Professionals. Since they have a lot of officer positions, I think the OCS selection for IDC is for Info Dominance not Independent Duty Corpsmans.

Ah ok. Thanks for the clarification lumpy. Sorry for the wrong info on my part.

LSJU

Google...it's your best friend :).

Thanks for the info. When I Googoled IDC I got the same thing - Indepenent Duty Corpsman. But I had the same reaction, "How could that be -they're enlisted personnel?" Then I figured out Information Dominance Corps.

The Pilot v NFO distinction had escaped me and thanks for the clarification.

And, yes, I know what OCS is - but Googling that phrase sets you off looking for a needle in the proverbial haystack.

And to Eaglei22's comment "Actually I was referring to Navyocs.com" - just so no one else gets confused like I did for a bit, the url is actually www.navyocs.org although the website is called USNavyOCS.com. Odd.