• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Next Board ~ April 2011

Lucy

They just changed that! Although usnavyocs.com still goes there too... Bet it was updated awhile back when they had that slew of hackers/spammers.

GreenLantern330

Thanks for the info. When I Googoled IDC I got the same thing - Indepenent Duty Corpsman. But I had the same reaction, "How could that be -they're enlisted personnel?" Then I figured out Information Dominance Corps.

The Pilot v NFO distinction had escaped me and thanks for the clarification.

And, yes, I know what OCS is - but Googling that phrase sets you off looking for a needle in the proverbial haystack.

And to Eaglei22's comment "Actually I was referring to Navyocs.com" - just so no one else gets confused like I did for a bit, the url is actually www.navyocs.org although the website is called USNavyOCS.com. Odd.

I mean, it also says "Your guide to OCS at NAS Pensacola." It's been at OTCN for a while now, so yeah, what do you expect? Also, thanks for the link, but I think most of us already are familiar with and/or have accounts at Navy OCS. Not speaking for everyone, though.

hipfinnsy

Sensual Pepper
So I talked to an OSO yesterday from Jacksonville (not the one that I normally talk to). He was telling me that there aren't going to be any SNA/NFO/SWO spots for a little while, and furthermore, that when they came back up that they were going to be mainly looking for technical majors (especially computer science). He said that there really wasn't anything available right now expect for a supply board in May and SPECWAR which pretty much always open because of the difficulty that they have in procuring people of that caliber. Anyone hear about this?

GreenLantern330

So I talked to an OSO yesterday from Jacksonville (not the one that I normally talk to). He was telling me that there aren't going to be any SNA/NFO/SWO spots for a little while, and furthermore, that when they came back up that they were going to be mainly looking for technical majors (especially computer science). He said that there really wasn't anything available right now expect for a supply board in May and SPECWAR which pretty much always open because of the difficulty that they have in procuring people of that caliber. Anyone hear about this?

First off, stop trolling and read the posts in this thread. All we've been doing is talking about the boards being cancelled. Second, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think OSOs are for the Marines only. And I call BS on the technical major stuff. Reason for that being no matter what designator you take, they're going to train you how to do it and that's exactly what the ASTB is for: to measure how you will do in said training. You don't have to be an engineer to rock the ASTB.

hipfinnsy

Sensual Pepper
Don't be so quick to assume I'm trolling. I had no idea that that's what was going on in here. I haven't been on AW in a while. And I was a bit incorrect about the technical major thing, but what he said was, "English major is fine, but you need to have physics and calculus." I know that's true for NROTC, but I didn't know about that for OCS. He wasn't saying it like it was a set in stone rule, but right now they can be selective. That's pretty much what he was getting at.

Flying Toaster

None
Time to bring this guy out again....

troll.jpg

Tonkovich.J

Only looking for CS majors. Damn, looks like I just wasted all these years on a useless mechanical engineering degree. LMAO

On another note I sure hope congress gets its act together and passes a budget. So we can finally know the board schedules.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Only looking for CS majors. Damn, looks like I just wasted all these years on a useless mechanical engineering degree. LMAO

On another note I sure hope congress gets its act together and passes a budget. So we can finally know the board schedules.

Unfortunately Tonkovich (and everyone else), I just got word that OCS is being shut down forever.

It came down to only accepting people with engineering and computer science degrees or just shutting down the program completely. The debate raged for a long time, but in the end, they just decided there was no room for any boards EVER again.

Commence panic.

*please note obvious sarcasm. And let's end all speculation until something actually happens.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Unfortunately Tonkovich (and everyone else), I just got word that OCS is being shut down forever.

It came down to only accepting people with engineering and computer science degrees or just shutting down the program completely. The debate raged for a long time, but in the end, they just decided there was no room for any boards EVER again.

Commence panic.

*please note obvious sarcasm. And let's end all speculation until something actually happens.

Actually Northrup Grumman has proposed a "Seahawk-sized Firescout". Since it would be as capable as any H-60 in the inventory, there is no longer a need for helo pilots in the future.
Along with the development of the X-47 (UCAV) there will no longer be a need for fixed winged pilots either.

There will never be another Pilot/NFO slot available through OCS, ROTC, or the Academy
The Navy is now recruiting RC Model flying clubs for the next generation of officers to make up the future of Naval Aviation.

Let the panicking begin!!

(Yes, this is a joke.... or is it???)

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Actually Northrup Grumman has proposed a "Seahawk-sized Firescout". Since it would be as capable as any H-60 in the inventory, there is no longer a need for helo pilots in the future.
Along with the development of the X-47 (UCAV) there will no longer be a need for fixed winged pilots either.

There will never be another Pilot/NFO slot available through OCS, ROTC, or the Academy
The Navy is now recruiting RC Model flying clubs for the next generation of officers to make up the future of Naval Aviation.

Now that's just cruel.

Smilies simulated.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor

Someone in the Navy told me this is true... So it must be!

Flying Toaster

None

Well that covers strike and helos, but don't forget this...

imav032906_02_02.jpg