• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Next Board ~ April 2011

scarfus

FS SNA, March 25th OCS
This is exactly how I feel about it, but I think that it is because I have never been able to push passed and get that long runners stride. I was just wondering if there was anyone on here who were like toaster, marlin, or myself but found their stride and started to like running. I see all of the running workouts listed above and they are good, no doubt, but I am looking for a way to get there from someone used to doing short intense interval anaerobic type training to a longer aerobic running workout. Like I said earlier I was able to do this with swimming but have never been able to with running (I have gone at it in a very organized manner though). Anyone with experience have any suggestions?

I was once one of the running-haters. There is a simple solution to this...and you may not like it. Just RUN.

I discovered this last year while training for a 10 mile road race. It's important to note that A. it was my first road race ever, and B. It would be the first time I had ever run more than 4 miles. I decided one day that I needed to put this hatred of running to bed, and by forcing myself to meet the requirements of a long race like that, I somehow became a runner.

Rather than just be a smartass...I'll also send along a GREAT workout for any of you guys/gals who want to whip yourselves into shape quick. It is a Marine Corps OCS Prep workout that I did for a couple of months. Its basically a 2 month crash course to get you in shape for Marine OCS.

http://www.chicagomarineofficer.com/Downloads/PT/ocsprepworkout.pdf

Adhere to this plan, and I guarantee that you will like what you see. I dropped 10 lbs and was able to do some major damage to the Navy PRT after completing it. Dont be afraid to add reps here and there if you feel that you can hack it. Enjoy!

Sonog

pilot
If you want to run your fastest 1.5 mile run possible, you need long runs of 8-10 miles. What non-runners don't get about distance running is that the more mileage you do (to a certain point), the faster you get in mid distance events on up (800 meters or more).

The best high school, college and professional runners might do one race a month that is about 1.5 miles. But they are tacking on 70 miles a week or more.

I agree it is probably a little overboard for the Navy PRT....but if you really do want to do your absolute fastest, more mileage is the key.

I'll take the sprinter's approach to fitness any day over the cross country approach.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
I don't want to get anyone excited or anything.. But here is what's going on at NAVYOCS.. Posted by someone:

"UPDATE:

I have pulled my application in order to transfer and was told on the 18th that the next SWO board is September and the next IDC board is November. This morning I got word from CNRC that there will be boards held in MAY for Pilot, NFO, and the IDC boards. Very disappointing news for me but hopefully it is true for you guys. Good luck."

Don't come looking for me if this isn't true :) but it seems pretty legit to me.

Sonog

pilot
I don't want to get anyone excited or anything.. But here is what's going on at NAVYOCS.. Posted by someone:

"UPDATE:

I have pulled my application in order to transfer and was told on the 18th that the next SWO board is September and the next IDC board is November. This morning I got word from CNRC that there will be boards held in MAY for Pilot, NFO, and the IDC boards. Very disappointing news for me but hopefully it is true for you guys. Good luck."

Don't come looking for me if this isn't true :) but it seems pretty legit to me.

Wait a minute, what about all that one in a million talk?

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot

"UPDATE:

This post is cause for mild excitement. Hopefully, it will turn out to be true. That way I can fist pump like Tiger Woods and not Kip from Napoleon Dynamite. http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/kip_yes.gif

Thanks for the info Eagle.

Attachments

• kip_yes.jpg
    kip_yes.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 9

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA

VNE

Haha. Nice. Donald Duck is my favorite Disney character. Also, my grandfather carried a donald duck Zippo on his B-17 missions which I thought it was pretty cool. I was planning on rushing the Viper Guard unit out at Luke, but was told that they don't look at off-the-street dudes, oh well. I lived in PHX for a while and would love to move back someday. I'm applying to the KC-135 unit at Skyharbor airport while I wait for the Navy boards to open up. I have also been rushing several other viper units.

What about you Eagle? Have you been visiting units?

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Nah, my days with the AF are done. Crossing my fingers for the Navy.. I've heard of civilians going straight to guard units for the F-16. Not particularly the Phoenix ANG but it is possible. Maybe you should apply to all the ANG F-16 bases you can and see who picks you up. It's very very very competitive to get in though. They usually narrow it down to about 10 applicants and interview you guys for 1 to 2 open slots.. Your best bet is to include Active Duty AF as well, I know it's not a guaranteed air frame, but it's a start.

Pilot Paul

Pro Rec SNA
...sssoooo now no SNA boards until September? Just got word of it from my OR...So now I guess the earliest we can go to school is November?.....Bummer....but not giving up.

And this may be the wrong place to ask but does anyone know if you can get SNA guarantees by doing NROTC during graduate school? Or if the USMC OCC is facing similat cutbacks?

Good luck to everyone!

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
...sssoooo now no SNA boards until September? Just got word of it from my OR...So now I guess the earliest we can go to school is November?.....Bummer....but not giving up.

And this may be the wrong place to ask but does anyone know if you can get SNA guarantees by doing NROTC during graduate school? Or if the USMC OCC is facing similat cutbacks?

Good luck to everyone!

NROTC provides zero guarantees on MOS selection. You put together a dream sheet and roll the dice. I'm also not entirely sure that you can commission through NROTC as a graduate student.

Webb79Z28

The USMC "Air" Mission seems to be opening up at the present time based on my OSO...but that could change by the time I get done typing this...