• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Next Board ~ April 2011

Thanks mike that is good to hear about my scores and app. I am planning on doing the 1.5 to 2.5 mi interval training but I want also to be able to, not easily but comfortably, make it past the 3 mi mark. I always tend to gas out at about 3 mi if I am running at a comfortable pace. I had the same thing when I used to do a swim workout and then one day I hit a stride and went from struggling to do 100 yards straight to being able to swim 1000 yards with no break comfortably. I have just never been able to do the same thing running. Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem and found a solution to it.

Sonog

pilot
I need to get back into training, just got my ASTB scores and I am supper motivated right now.
9/9/9 69 (better then I was expecting, I think BS in Electrical Engineering helped a bit though)

I did P90X last year and liked it but I am looking for a good running regiment. I have never liked long distance running, more of a sprinter. Was wondering if anyone out there has had luck with any kind of regiment moving from a sprinter type to a long distance type. I was thinking interval training but that is still a bit sprint focused. Any suggestions?

Do Crossfit and Crossfit endurance.

X

xxxCharliexxx

I agree, interval training will definitely break up your week and keep it interesting for a sprinting runner. I run 4-5 times a week but do some form of cardio everyday. When I run, I run 4-6 miles a time (you can work up to that with no more than a 10% increase each week).

But basically, just to give you an example:
Sunday (long, easy run...run this even slower than you think is "comfortable", just a bit more than a jog really. The idea is to get comfortable running for that length of time. So, for these runs, I run for time, not distance. If your max milage is 3 miles right now, then aim to run easy for 30-35 minutes and increase it by 10% each week.) This gets your distance up.
Monday (bike, row, or swim...keeps up with cardio but gives your shins and IT bands a rest from the pounding)
Tuesday (interval training - you know what that is) This gets your timed run/pace up.
Wednesday (bike, row, or swim)
Thursday (Run at an uncomfortable pace - suck it up and do it as long as you can aiming for 2.0-2.5 miles, increasing pace by 10% each week) It's supposed to burn - this takes your interval training and applies it to your longer runs.
Friday (rest day for long run on Sunday)
Saturday (easy 2 mil run to keep things moving)
Sunday (slow, long run, but this time for 33-38 mins)

Eventually, your "slow long runs" will be much faster paced than you once thought was "uncomfortably slow" before and you will be running for longer distances, faster. Dare I might even say you will eventually get to love looking forward to the long, slow Sundays to clear your head.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Alright, all of the above are not wrong on achieving your best running times, but they are not 100% right. I'll speak from a distance runners' standpoint. If you want to achieve your maximum potential in the PRT, you need to run at least 40 miles a week. I was all league/region in cross country and track in high school and recently ran a marathon a few months ago. I achieved all my best times pretty much on all distance running and very little interval work. I would say that in an event like the 1.5 mile (Navy PRT), a solid mix of intervals and distance running will give you your best time. When I was running my best 1600/3200 (mile/2 mile) in high school my week resembled the following:

Monday: 6 mile run at 7:00 pace
Tuesday: warm up + 5 x 800 m repeat on the track (800 m repeats at 2:20 per 800) + cool down (6 mi total)
Wednesday: 8 mile run at 7:00 pace
Thursday: warm up + 3 X 1600 m repeat on track (1600 m at 5:20 per 1600) + cool down (6 mi total)
Friday: 8-9 mile run at 8:00 pace
Saturday: 6 mile run at 7:00 pace
Sunday: Either off or really long, depending on how you feel (8-12 miles at 7:30 or 8:00 pace and depending on running experience)

This is just running obviously. This plan will fail you on pushups :icon_tong

Also, don't start off running a lot of mileage. It is better to build up and not get hurt than to start off running a bunch of miles and pulling a muscle. If you are not an experienced runner, you can still get a decent idea from the plan above. Just vastly reduce the mileage and build on your distances as you feel more comfortable.

Sonog

pilot
I'm sorry, but the idea of running 8 miles to prepare for a 1.5 mile sprint is pretty absurd.

Lucy

While it may seem crazy, I had a schedule similar to brenbucks (about 2 miles less total a day though) and went from a 12min mile to a 6:30 mile in a little under 3 months, so it does work. If your goal is to just meet minimums, or if you can already max the test then maybe it is not needed, however, if you are wanting to get the best time possible then its the way to go.

Hate to say it, but eating was key for me as far as energy goes. Got easy after a bit though, just stopped wanting junk, and ate a ton of good for me food. The phase 3 P90X food plan is a really good way to be able to handle both, after you get up to that level of course. However, I tend to do more reps and less weight (under 30 lbs) and do a kickboxing/martial art, but that is the way I best gain muscle. Won't work for everyone.

MGoBrew11

pilot
I'm sorry, but the idea of running 8 miles to prepare for a 1.5 mile sprint is pretty absurd.

If you want to run your fastest 1.5 mile run possible, you need long runs of 8-10 miles. What non-runners don't get about distance running is that the more mileage you do (to a certain point), the faster you get in mid distance events on up (800 meters or more).

The best high school, college and professional runners might do one race a month that is about 1.5 miles. But they are tacking on 70 miles a week or more.

I agree it is probably a little overboard for the Navy PRT....but if you really do want to do your absolute fastest, more mileage is the key.

GreenLantern330

brenbuck is right. Building up your endurance will help you run faster and shorter distances. My track coach in high school had me work out with the CC team from time to time to help me speed up my 300IH time. It sucks, but it works.

bluemarlin04

+357

If you are not doing either, you are wrong.
CF is not a very solid workout in my opinion. But that is for another thread. I think it's a marketing gimmick along with P90X.
I agree. 8 miles is a bit of a stretch for a Navy PRT. I'm pretty sure my knees would get serious problems because of my size.

Flying Toaster

None
I cringed when I just read all those running distances. Am I the only one here who HATES running? It's not because I'm fat, out of shape, or don't like working out. I workout regularly, by most definitions I'm in very good shape, and I've played hockey for the last 15 years. I just find running to be like torture, not sure if it's impact of it compared to skating, the cardio, or just the dull monotony, but all I can think of when I'm running is how'd I'd rather be doing anything else...

bluemarlin04

I cringed when I just read all those running distances. Am I the only one here who HATES running? It's not because I'm fat, out of shape, or don't like working out. I workout regularly, by most definitions I'm in very good shape, and I've played hockey for the last 15 years. I just find running to be like torture, not sure if it's impact of it compared to skating, the cardio, or just the dull monotony, but all I can think of when I'm running is how'd I'd rather be doing anything else...

I also don't like running. I can handle distances under three miles because I generally dislike any other cardio and it's important to stay in shape. However, I would rather chew on glass than run five miles daily.

I also don't like running. I can handle distances under three miles because I generally dislike any other cardio and it's important to stay in shape. However, I would rather chew on glass than run five miles daily.

This is exactly how I feel about it, but I think that it is because I have never been able to push passed and get that long runners stride. I was just wondering if there was anyone on here who were like toaster, marlin, or myself but found their stride and started to like running. I see all of the running workouts listed above and they are good, no doubt, but I am looking for a way to get there from someone used to doing short intense interval anaerobic type training to a longer aerobic running workout. Like I said earlier I was able to do this with swimming but have never been able to with running (I have gone at it in a very organized manner though). Anyone with experience have any suggestions?

bluemarlin04

This is exactly how I feel about it, but I think that it is because I have never been able to push passed and get that long runners stride. I was just wondering if there was anyone on here who were like toaster, marlin, or myself but found their stride and started to like running. I see all of the running workouts listed above and they are good, no doubt, but I am looking for a way to get there from someone used to doing short intense interval anaerobic type training to a longer aerobic running workout. Like I said earlier I was able to do this with swimming but have never been able to with running (I have gone at it in a very organized manner though). Anyone with experience have any suggestions?
I used to completely hate running and always struggled with it. I started running about 3-4 times a week for a distance of 2-3 miles at a 7:30 or below pace. Not super fast but fast enough for me. I am able to do my PRT under 10:30 after maxing pushups and situps. I can do a sub 30 min four mile run when I push myself. I like running, just not really far distances because I start to develop leg problems. I'm also on the larger size (6'2 and 210 lbs) so I get tired pretty quick once I hit mile four. I prefer weightlifting since I have been doing it for so long and really enjoy being in the gym.