• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

National OPO Blog

OSUrower

I'm an applicant for an MSC commission. In April I found out that I was selected as an alternate with a definite pick up in FY 15 as long as my program has a spot. My program told my recruiter that there should be a slot, but wouldn't give it an iron clad guarantee obviously (especially with April so far from October).

When might I find out if there is a slot? I know my recruiter said it was a long wait but I really want to know. I dropped almost a whole person in weight (~135lb) to meet the Navy's ht/wt reqs and guess I just want to know lol

Thanks for the help!

jakejake527

I'm an applicant for an MSC commission. In April I found out that I was selected as an alternate with a definite pick up in FY 15 as long as my program has a spot. My program told my recruiter that there should be a slot, but wouldn't give it an iron clad guarantee obviously (especially with April so far from October).

When might I find out if there is a slot? I know my recruiter said it was a long wait but I really want to know. I dropped almost a whole person in weight (~135lb) to meet the Navy's ht/wt reqs and guess I just want to know lol

Thanks for the help!

damn...good job on the weight loss.

I'm currently 200 lbs 5'8". 18% body fat.

I'm trying to cut down to 180. I'm tired of being taped

OSUrower

Thanks!

July marked four years of being under 300lb, which seems weird to say when I type it out.

The tapings have worked for me but have not been my friend. First trip to MEPS I was 203lb (8 below max). Processor said that I needed taped too so went to local NOSC to do that, 22%. Program was closed by the time my packet was done. So last fall get reweighed, 207. Still at 22% at the recruiter's office to have that for my packet.

The left over skin from my 350 days is shrinking (sorry for that image) through gym time and running, but it certainly gets in the way for tapings.

paulmkrueger

damn...good job on the weight loss.

I'm currently 200 lbs 5'8". 18% body fat.

I'm trying to cut down to 180. I'm tired of being taped

I always get taped. ugh! I'm 6'3" 230 lbs. but I've gone from 22% to 18% in the last 6 months (with little/no weight change! haha!)

National OPO

Thanks for the help!

OSUrower - the delay is because NRC has not yet been given clear and official guidance as to what our various accession goals are going to be for FY15. As such, we cant promise anything until we know what exactly we are going to be goaled with by the folks in DC. And we dont know when we will find out exactly what our goals will be. In the year's past, it wasnt until AFTER the start of the new Fiscal Year (which starts 01Oct). We are trying to and trying to pry from the leadership in DC some type of insight - even if not official - what our goals will be so that we can set expectations of both applicants and recruiters as well as give guidance to the field as to what types of programs and designators they need to start prospecting in. We are just as frustrated as you guys (the applicants) since we would like to know too what our goals will be so that we can start building up applicant (like yourself) and applications in preps for those goals. Sorry that I dont have a better answer - welcome to the old military way of "hurry up and wait". The US govt never claimed to be efficient and unfortunately, the Navy is part of the US govt.

OSUrower

Thanks!

I've been good about not bugging my recruiter too much this summer since I figured it would be a long wait. But I saw various things for FY 15 getting released and posted. It got the better of me that maybe I'd know something soon.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
There was a thread a while ago with MSCHCA and he waited FOREVER to apply, boards, and of course receive his OCS letter. MSC and other medical programs can take a while.

OSUrower

I'd believe it. Next month will be 2 years since I started the application process. I can't tell you how long it took my first recruiter to get approval to even work on my packet (or that's what he told me anyway).

I don't know what number recruiter I'm on now as either I kept getting passed around because I was trying for an obscure medical program or just general cycling. However, the LT I'm working with now is one that filled in 2 years ago while they tracked down a reserve officer recruiter who did the bulk of the work on my packet.

When we got finished then, the program was closed except for a NAVET program. So we kept trying. Then there was the shutdown but finally got reweighed and actually interviewed for the Board. That was last OCT or NOV. By April I found out that I was an alternate and my recruiter had changed.

So yeah. I gathered that there was a lot of hurry up and wait and more wait with medical programs :)

National OPO

All - and feel free to pass this along - OCS is no longer involuntarily cutting the hair of female shippers going to OCS. It used to be that OCS would involuntarily cut both men and women's hair upon their arrival at OCS. And in preps for this, many female shippers would opt to have their hair cut even prior to arriving at OCS in order to have it done by a stylist than perhaps by the barbers at OCS. The command that is in charge of OCS (and enlisted Boot Camp for that matter) has opted to relax the policy on female hair cuts immediately and allow female officer candidates to arrive at OCS, and as long as they can keep their hair in accordance with Navy female hair regulations, will not have to have it cut involuntarily. Therefore, there is no mandatory need for female shippers to consider getting it cut prior to arriving at OCS. They can certainly cut it prior to shipping or even after arriving, but that is their voluntary choice. This change in policy regarding female hair cuts does not apply to nor does it change the policy for male haircuts. And frankly, as a male, would prefer to have a buzz cut while at OCS anyways to avoid having to deal with it = so much easier to deal with during the rigors of OCS.

National OPO

All - the July through Sept OCS classes have been filled - for the most part, with FINSEL letters pushed out to all applicable shippers. The team here at NRC will now start working to fill the 12Oct14 OCS class over the next 2-3 weeks and will be pushing out the FINSELs for that class at the same time as names are placed into the class. The hope being that we will have the 12Oct class filled with all FINSELs cut by the end of July. That will then allow us to start filling to two OCS classes in Nov (02Nov and 23Nov) during the month of August. If you questions about your FINSEL or actual or proposed OCS ship date, please talk with your recruiter. If you are a Fleet Sailor, please contact the OCS questions email address at ocsquestions@navy.mil

Que3n

pilot
@National OPO Thank you for the updates. Is there a December class following the 23Nov class or will they wait until January since the mid-December range would only be there for a week or so before Christmas? Thanks in advance.

jakejake527

@National OPO Thank you for the updates. Is there a December class following the 23Nov class or will they wait until January since the mid-December range would only be there for a week or so before Christmas? Thanks in advance.
i heard from my recruiter that if they give us 10 day break during holidays if you're in OCS

binoly

Check your Profile, it shows your age as 34... and indicates Birthdate 2 January, 1980?:eek:

Hopin' it's just a typo, as you have a competitive package for SWO.;)
BzB
Thanks, it is incorrect on there and I can't change it. I'm not that worried about it though.

binoly

All - the July through Sept OCS classes have been filled - for the most part, with FINSEL letters pushed out to all applicable shippers. The team here at NRC will now start working to fill the 12Oct14 OCS class over the next 2-3 weeks and will be pushing out the FINSELs for that class at the same time as names are placed into the class. The hope being that we will have the 12Oct class filled with all FINSELs cut by the end of July. That will then allow us to start filling to two OCS classes in Nov (02Nov and 23Nov) during the month of August. If you questions about your FINSEL or actual or proposed OCS ship date, please talk with your recruiter. If you are a Fleet Sailor, please contact the OCS questions email address at ocsquestions@navy.mil
I really hope to be in one of the classes this year to allow me time to commission before I age out for SWO next summer. Just waiting on the next pesky SWO board. Hopefully we have had an abundance of applications recently to push one sooner than the 90-120 days after the June 9th board.

Can anyone on active duty comment on how long it took them from prorec to ship date?