• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

National OPO Blog

CAJ0520

Since I was a dual process (enlisted Nuke and OCS) and my SF-86 docs were submitted for the nuke program in February, since they are using the same docs for the OCS now that I am PRO-Y, does that mean that the background investigation/clearance will be mostly completed already?

DDE1990

INFORMATION DOMINATOR WARRIOR OR W/E
If I'm not mistaken the nuke clearance is a TS/SSBI, which means it will take time. A lot of time. If you have clean records and non-sketchy friends and family then about 8-10 months is a reasonable expectation for that to clear and your JPAS to represent you having an current clearance. Not sure about the timeline for a secret, but presumably it's a lot shorter.

Mozart

Federal law requires that the corporation hold your position or at least an equal position given that they aren't out of business or can't afford to bring you back. Each company will vary on the details like pay gap and PTO. My company pays 18 days of full pay per calendar year plus any accrued vacation time. Also, if for some reason you do return within the given time they have to honor the time you were gone towards any vesting arrangements on company match 401k, profit sharing, etc.

@Mozart I am in the same boat as you, company allows these benefits for 5 years, but a certain program many of us are here for will go well beyond that... so you may have to tread a fine line as far as disclosing certain time commitments etc. I did go ahead and contact my HR because I had questions about some of the details and I just kept the time commitment conversation very vague, basically "I don't know how long I'll be gone yet"

I would suggest to be careful and not lie. I told no lies but, like you said "I don't REALLY know how long ill be gone, Could be 6 months if I fail out" sort of conversation. I also would suggest begin careful taking the gap pay because, like my company, some would want to reimburse them if you don't come back. Again it varies. Thankfully and E5 pay inst much different than my current pay once free housing( no more 1200/mo rent) is factored in so I feel like gap pay inst worth it for me.

Mozart

Obviously you would not be happy about it, but the Navy is not to blame for you needing appendix surgery and OCS date CX. Your Surgeon has "cleared you" (probably for normal activity), but OCS is far from normal. The medical 'deecision makers' above your surgeon, have determined that you may need more healing time to ensure you're not exposed to the rigorous physical activity too soon. They haven't PDQ'd you, so relax.:)

The problems with your job & apartment are a PIA, but it's neither your fault, nor the Navy, so no use getting down over it. Once you're into the program and flying, this may be recalled as just a small bump in the long road!;)

Think of the horror if halfway through giving your DI his 50, your belly split and your gizzards hit the deck!:eek:
BzB

Thanks BusyBee, perspective is always nice. I don't blame the Navy, and yes after trying to sprint 5 miles last night I realized how much you actually use your core and that maybe i need a little more time.

shinegf

I am told by one of the LT NRD that only an open investigation is needed for OCS and there is a separate security clearance for commissioning. Anyone can comment on that?

So I am in a random situation. I was injured while waiting for my pro-rec intel and it required surgery. Well I received my pro-rec intel, but obviously couldn't pass my MEPS right now ( we sent my package without my physical). I was told I had to respond by July 18th, but I won't be cleared until August 1st. My OR told me that I am just going to have to reapply and start all over again with the application process. Is this true? Will the boards likely not choose me even though they accepted me once?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I would have your OR talk to the IDC program manager and request an extension. It's happened before getting extensions if the situation warrants. I had one applicant who completed MEPS, but N3M asked for additional information/medical documents several times. I explained the case to the PM and she was okay with it. N3M got submitted and the FINSEL arrived shortly after. The rest is history.

AaronJB

Dumb Ensign, VT-6
Anyone from the June board receive a finsel letter with the OCS date yet?
There are still many of us SNA/SNFO applicants from the May board that are waiting for a FINSEL. Unless you are age critical, I would not expect a letter for at least a couple of months yet as they work through filling classes.

LET73

I am told by one of the LT NRD that only an open investigation is needed for OCS and there is a separate security clearance for commissioning. Anyone can comment on that?
There's not a separate clearance, it's just that the process might not be complete by the time you commission. I didn't get my final clearance until eight months after commissioning, but they initiated the investigation before I submitted my package for OCS. The "separate clearance" thing could be a misunderstanding of the fact that you may start out only needing a secret clearance, and depending on your job subsequently require a top secret clearance, which is a more involved process.

jakejake527

There are still many of us SNA/SNFO applicants from the May board that are waiting for a FINSEL. Unless you are age critical, I would not expect a letter for at least a couple of months yet as they work through filling classes.
I'm 28 turning 29 on May 27th 2014. Would that be considered "age-critical"?
pro rec y supply last week

thanks

DDE1990

INFORMATION DOMINATOR WARRIOR OR W/E
I'm 28 turning 29 on May 27th 2014. Would that be considered "age-critical"?
pro rec y supply last week

thanks

"Applicants must be a citizen of the United States. Applicants must be at least 19 years old and be of such age that they will not have passed their 29th birthday on their commissioning date. Maximum age limit may be adjusted for personnel with prior active service who possess particularly exceptional qualifications, skills, and experience provided the applicants can be commissioned prior to their 31st birthday. Supply Corps Officer Community Manager will carefully consider each request. Age waiver requests will not be automatically approved."