• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MEDALS?? We don't NEED no STEEEENKIN' badges !!! *split thread*

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
99.99% of Medals of Honor are legit.

95% of Navy Crosses are legit.

90% of Silver Stars are legit.

50% of Bronze Stars are legit.

30% of Combat Action Ribbons are legit.

20% of all "V"s and single mission air medals are legit.

10% of all End of Tour admin awards are legit.

100% of Sea Service Deployment Ribbons are legit.

And 99% of all those 'legit' guys, when asked, will say something like, "I didn't do anything heroic -- I was just doin' my job. The REAL heroes are....".

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
And 99% of all those 'legit' guys, when asked, will say something like, "I didn't do anything heroic -- I was just doin' my job. The REAL heroes are....".

True that.

I should have also included an estimate of how many guys did amazing things and got nothing at all.

Probably 10-1 across the board.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
I take a lot more pride in the (non-GO/FO) command coins I was presented than the ribbons I came back with from my IA - maybe with the exception of the Afghan Campaign Medal. Something about a one-on-one thank you and a hearty handshake that seems much more genuine and gratifying than an EOT award.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

BTW, a Unit award (ribbon) of elevated status is the Presidential Unit Citation (PUC) awarded to us (USS MIDWAY/CVW-5, including catmando) for cruise '72 (Op LineBacker II), which ended the air war, bringing our POWs home)! :pirate_12
BzB :sleep_125

The PUC Award...... and some of the Cost:

Attachments

• puc.jpg
    puc.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 92
  • memoriambig.jpg
    memoriambig.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 101

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't know crap about the TACAMO deployment scenarios, and even less about you personally.

My advice to you, and anybody else who cares about medals, is this:

You know who you are and what you have done. So do the people you directly serve with. Nobody else's opinion matters. If medals make you happy, great. If you don't get any, the people who matter to you know what you did anyway, so it doesn't matter.

From what I know about various medals and their relative "awesomeness" without knowing the full story in each case, I'd say this:

What do I mean by "legit"? When you hear the whole story from other people who were there, you say "Wow. That's no shit."

All data above was collected from the Harrier Dude Institute of Estimation. All rights reserved.

Your advice?.....SIGH......sorry, not funny
Dude, pardone moi, but that is the DUMBEST post I've seen on AW in my 2+ YEARS HERE. YOU PULLED THOSE "STATISTICS" OUT OF YOUR ASS! Credibility GONE. Quit digging, you're in over your head.
'nuff said. PM me if "you still don't get it". :snorkel_1
BzB, shaking head!

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I take a lot more pride in the (non-GO/FO) command coins I was presented than the ribbons I came back with from my IA - maybe with the exception of the Afghan Campaign Medal. Something about a one-on-one thank you and a hearty handshake that seems much more genuine and gratifying than an EOT award.

How you feel about your awards, is your business. How you feel about other's awards, is partly their business also. One should be VERY careful when criticizing other's awards. Dangerous territory! This applies to all on this thread.
BzB

H60Gunner

Contributor
So, here are two scenarios wrt medals, bluff is it all depends on who is in charge at the time of the possible medal deserving action.
Scenario number one. A Navy Rescue Swimmer performs an in water rescue of a sailor who fell overboard in the Persian Gulf at night in a high sea state. It was a difficult rescue with high winds and a high sea state. Swimmer did what he was trained to do. Worthy of a medal?

Scenario number two. A hoist operator is credited with saving the lives of two swimmers while conducting SAR jumps in San Diego Bay. Helo had an engine emergency while hoisting two swimmers from the bay and had to depart the hover. Hoist operator recovered swimmers before the helo ditched and although he was scared for his life, he basically did what he was trained to do. Worthy of a medal?

In one of these scenarios the crew was awarded medals, the other not. Different Skippers.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
I don't know crap about the TACAMO deployment scenarios, and even less about you personally.

My advice to you, and anybody else who cares about medals, is this:

You know who you are and what you have done. So do the people you directly serve with. Nobody else's opinion matters. If medals make you happy, great. If you don't get any, the people who matter to you know what you did anyway, so it doesn't matter.

From what I know about various medals and their relative "awesomeness" without knowing the full story in each case, I'd say this:

What do I mean by "legit"? When you hear the whole story from other people who were there, you say "Wow. That's no shit."

All data above was collected from the Harrier Dude Institute of Estimation. All rights reserved.

I absolutely understand that you don't know anything about me or my deployment cycle. Few in the Navy, much less the Marine Corps know my community even exists. My point is this: if you ran into a navy LT with no "legit" awards on his chest (as you have named) who had claimed to be just off his sea tour you'd automatically assume he was a dickbag and hadn't done anything because he didn't have a SSD or any in-theater awards. Is it right? No, but it is what it is. If the only thing I get out of three years of busting my ass is a NAM, then I'll take it happily, and be glad I get to do what I get to do. If my stack is all I'm being judged on, then I'm in the wrong place.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Refined wise older warriors,
My very, very recent experience says Harrier dude's estimations are more sound than you could possibly know (Kosovo, OSW, OIF, OEF, New Dawn etc...). What most of _you_ did, and what a vast minority of the kids today do warrants more than a paycheck. The comments wrt awards are aimed at times when the folks making the comments were COGNISANT. In my mind, you should be as perturbed about cheapening awards' protocol as we are.

The "PM me if you don't get it" comment is mystifying, perplexing, demeaning and unbecoming (minus a few cool silver eagle points, A4s is still on top of the heap) considering the relevance and currency of experience.

HD, did you just get beckoned into the "skippers" office? HAHA!!!! If you don't walk out of the military with at least one cyber non-punitive letter, you could have had more fun.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Medals are like assholes - everyone is one. Only you know if you really deserve the medal or if you really like being an asshole.

I had my fair share of medals and I watched their value decrease as my time in the Navy went on. I got my first NAM as an end of tour award from my first squadron when very few were awarded. I retired with 1 MSM, 3 NCMs, 2 JSAMs and 4 NAMs - which in 1998 was far more than most LCDRs. That first NAM was the one I was most proud to receive. Some of the rest I earned (one was a life saving award and one for a specific P-3 mission) and some were end of tour booby prizes. I do feel my S/F Air Medal was earned as I did get shot at twice in the process, felt I did a hell of a job protecting the grunts on the ground in Bosnia with timely reconn, and did direct more than a few point-nose guys where to put "bombs on foreheads" in the same theater. I felt my Persian Gulf patrols in 1988 during the Iran-Iraq war were more worthy of S/F Air Medals due to a much higher threat level (dodging Iranian/Iraqi dog fights, being chased by Iranian F-4s who had every intention of shooting us down, supporting Operation Preying Mantis, etc.) and the fact we did many things not done since the Viet Nam war by P-3s - however nothing was awarded. But the bottom line is I had really no input or control over any medal I ever received and it never entered my mind to fly my mission or do my job differently on the chance it might get me a medal. The same goes for 95% of the people I served with.

What many don't realize is that when guys like BzB, A4s and Cat were JOs, personal medals such as NAMs and NCMs were uncommon for JOs and not that much more common for DHs or XO/COs. It wasn't until the 1990s that it became common to see more and more medals on Navy guys. A lot of this was due to "Jointness" becoming the buzz word and making Navy guys competitive with the other service officers. I remember reporting into SOUTHCOM and being amazed at the medals on the Air Force and Army guys, O-3s & O-4s with multiple MSMs and Commendation medals - even a couple with LOMs. (Many AF and Army Generals did not think the Navy guys were any good because they had no or lower medals.)

As far as combat awards go, as far as I'm concerned anyone with one earned it. Especially the Viet Nam and earlier vets. Yeah we had some guys do some great, heroic stuff recently but on the whole, what has been going on in the air in the 1990s and 2000s isn't anywhere as hairy as it was for the Viet Nam guys let alone the Korea or WWII vets still around. When we go making broad stroke statements about the value or legitimacy of their combat medals, we're just talking out of our asses.

Many who deserve medals don't get them. I wouldn't be surprise if this is true for people who have posted in this thread. But that in no way takes away from the legitimacy, value or merit of those that are awarded. By knocking other's medals you are not deminishing their accomplishments, you are only diminishing yourself.

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mea Culpa...

Your advice?.....SIGH......sorry, not funny
Dude, pardone moi, but that is the DUMBEST post I've seen on AW in my 2+ YEARS HERE. YOU PULLED THOSE "STATISTICS" OUT OF YOUR ASS! Credibility GONE. Quit digging, you're in over your head.
'nuff said. PM me if "you still don't get it". :snorkel_1
BzB, shaking head!

After trading PMs w/ HD & MV, I am publicly apologizing to HD for my posts #s 248, 250, & 251. I retract the statements I made in these posts & regret any consternation caused to HD & anyone else, by these posts. It's not an excuse, but I was vigorously defending an awards system which seemed pretty much fair, during my era. I was totally ignorant of the deterioration which has obviously occurred since my era...along with many other of our best traditions in this era of increasing PC'ness.

In my era, it was considered "poor form" to question fellow Service Personnel's ribbons/medals. But, in this era of posers & ID thieves, perhaps this too, is no longer valid?

I shall in the future, restrict my comments to subjects which I am more "up to date" on. I stand embarrased, but chastened...and am now up & ready for relaunch!
BzB