• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MEDALS?? We don't NEED no STEEEENKIN' badges !!! *split thread*

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
I always get a good snicker when I run into P-3 dudes with a few Air Medals... V's and all... these dudes clearly deserve the Silver Star in addition to their paycheck for simply doing their job.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
I always get a good snicker when I run into P-3 dudes with a few Air Medals... V's and all... these dudes clearly deserve the Silver Star in addition to their paycheck for simply doing their job.

IMHO you could say that about most everyone wearing an Air Medal after, say, Vietnam. Probably say that about many of the DFCs, too.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Don't cry for the sacredness of the DFC. If you look up the history, that medal has been abused off and on ever since the 1920s.

Not to threadjack, but the more things change, the more they stay the same. The problem with medals has, and probably will always be, that some people nearly die getting the same recognition that someone else got for sticking his thumb up his butt.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't cry for the sacredness of the DFC. If you look up the history, that medal has been abused off and on ever since the 1920s.

Not to threadjack, but the more things change, the more they stay the same. The problem with medals has, and probably will always be, that some people nearly die getting the same recognition that someone else got for sticking his thumb up his butt.

Exactly, this book I just got describes how the Army Air Forces and even the Navy in WWII awarded DFCs for a certain number combat missions, just like the Air Medal nowadays (and back then) in addition to specific acts of valor and bravery.

bobbybrock

None
IMHO you could say that about most everyone wearing an Air Medal after, say, Vietnam. Probably say that about many of the DFCs, too.
I think you might get a real strong arguement from a lot of us Army and Marine R/W guys on here. My guard unit had a hand full of V device air medals and I can tell you they were well deserved. Our BDE had six DFC's. If getting an aircraft on the deck and saving the crew after taking a direct hit with an RPG doesn't warrant a DFC than you might be right.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
I think you might get a real strong arguement from a lot of us Army and Marine R/W guys on here. My guard unit had a hand full of V device air medals and I can tell you they were well deserved. Our BDE had six DFC's. If getting an aircraft on the deck and saving the crew after taking a direct hit with an RPG doesn't warrant a DFC than you might be right.

Notice that the post I quoted before mine said that "they were just doing their job".

I'm not about to do combat with individuals as to if their AMs or DFCs were deserved or not. Most guys I know who 'deserved' getting medals never thought they were doing anything other than their job.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Medals: Always a contentious issue. Probably always will be.

Medals varied widely. They were relative to timeframe, service, specific command, and other things. They are not always tied to accomplishment. They are indeed inconsistent. They are very subjective.

For instance: My air wing spent the record number of days of all in combat for the entire war, during an 11th month cruise in Vietnam.

Although the bulk of our flying was over the North, and frequently "downtown", and while some of our aircraft took hits and one crew became POWs, IIRC, only two of our 15 crews received a DFC.... despite some incredibly flying and devastating attacks under heavy enemy fire by everyone.

Compare that to Air Force Pilots who automatically received a 'kiss-goodbye' DFC at the end of their tour, even if they never flew over the North. Every one of them!

CAG said it was just our job – which it was – and we didn't need anything extra other than combat pay, for doing the job for which we trained. Only something really, really extreme garnered a DFC. Even individual Air Medals were difficult to receive, as were NCMs. But we still got 'beaucoup' of them... the hard way. ;)

So suck it up. The guys that know, know. Anyone else doesn't count, do they?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Medals that matter: Silver Star, Navy Cross, and Medal of Honor.

Everything else is just chest chaff.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
My apologies, forgot that one. There are more, but as far as NAMs, Navy Coms, even the MSMs that most skippers get as a kiss out the door all fall under chest candy.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
This question of medal proliferation is not a new topic of discussion, after Napoleon is famously quoted; "give me enough medals, I'll win any war".

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Whoa...

Medals that matter: Silver Star, Navy Cross, and Medal of Honor.

Everything else is just chest chaff.

That is YOUR opinion...I certainly do, and others may, disagree! A "blanket" statement like that, tends to cheapen awards (other than "the big three"). See post #222 below by Catmando. :icon_mi_6

The term "chest chaff/candy", is an ugly one to me...when applied so broadly. FWIW, just my honest opinion. :sleep_125
BzB