• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MEDALS?? We don't NEED no STEEEENKIN' badges !!! *split thread*

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My highest award is the Air Medal. I have 2 Individual Action, and 6 Strike Flight. One of the IA's is a joke (the citation literally reads "he successfully piloted his aircraft") but our CO at the time was all about what medals he could get (and added all of us to the write up), and the 6 SF are simply based off flight hours. Not really super proud of any of them. One of the IA Air Medals I'm relatively proud of. 8 hours. 7.8 on goggles (flipping them up toward the end of the night). 1/2 - 1 mile vis all night. First Iraqi election a resounding success after having spent the entire night moving election workers and ballots all across the country. I was bone-numbing tired, but the next morning it was cool to listen to it on BBC on my shortwave radio...

Don't get me started on the JOKE that is my CAR. I slept through a firefight, and even though I told everyone that I shouldn't be on the list for the award, my name ended up on it - and I have to wear it...
I suspect you really earned some of them, especially the one you indicate.

Like you, I hold none higher than the Air Medal, and in fact one less than you for Individual Action during my 197 combat missions in Southeast Asia. I do have a few more strike/flight AMs, and a number of stars and "Vs" on the lower, lesser medals though, FWIW.

Although one or two guys in our squadron whined, surviving VC rocket attacks while in Da Nang that did not qualify flight crews for a CAR - especially when they/we ran and huddled in a bunker unarmed.

No excuses, and no regrets for me though.... We all knew what we did, and what it was worth. Award criteria always changes over time, and even from command to command. (Although one measly DFC would have been nice, like the AF got just for being there, regardless of what they accomplished. ;) :) :( )

PS: One of the more highly decorated individuals I ever worked with was a former HAL-3(pdf) pilot. He had them all except for the MOH. But he never wore them. Once in a great while during a function, he would wear one row only. We wanted him to wear them all. But he really believed he didn't really earn them; therefore, he would not wear them. Great guy, but perhaps a bit too humble.

From what I know about HAL-3, those guys deserved every medal they got!!!!​

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
i'm pretty sure douglas macarthur got a dfc for being a passenger on a c-47 from japan to korea. lyndon johnson got a bronze star under similar circumstances in ww11.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
i'm pretty sure douglas macarthur got a dfc for being a passenger on a c-47 from japan to korea. lyndon johnson got a bronze star under similar circumstances in ww11.

Staff pukes, got to hate them. The Navy guys in Baghdad during my IA were giving themselves BSM's and then fought me over an NCM with 'V' for one of my Battalion EWO's. PO2 going outside the wire almost daily with EOD. Installing systems on buildings in Ramadi while under sniper fire. Their excuse was that since he was only an E-5, he rated a NAM. That battle was still ongoing when I turned it over to my relief.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anybody remember the semi-poser 'Drewski'? He posted the below ribbons on his personal website, although he was a Navy band member and a ferry pilot who later bailed and went to FedEx. When exposed, he argued but finally shut his site down.
His website is back, albeit without all the ribbons this time. ;)

mymedals1cw4.jpg

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/sh...g-on-AW-the-Flathatter-and-CAPT-Drewski-sagas

http://www.farm-boy-navy-pilot-airline-captain.com/

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

General MaArthur also got the Medal of Honor for his defense of the Philippines. Lyndon Johnson got a Silver Star and more recent accounts suggest that the plane he was on aborted before the shooting even started due to mechanical difficulties, he was a passenger on a B-26 during a bombing mission. Appropriately, Johnson was awarded his Silver Star by MacArthur.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None

I don't have permission to look at the link?! WTF?

HackerF15E, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.